Starter hasn't cleared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robc311

Reaction score
I made my first starter the other day using Wyeast 3711 French Saison. I made a half gallon starter following guidelines I saw in multiple postings. Since there's so much liquid I wanted to decant so after about 30 hours on the counter I put it in the fridge overnight and was surprised to see it didn't clear up so there was no clear amount to pour off. I'm bringing it up to room temp right now on the counter so I can pitch it in my saison this evening. My question is if I should dump the whole thing in or not...seems like a lot of liquid. I've attached a pic...just keep in mind that this is a gallon container and it's pretty wide so it looks like there isn't much yeast on the bottom but I suspect it appears that way due to the large diameter. I should also note that the yeast seems to be reactivating a little already.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1484600179.172763.jpg

I would pour about 75% of that off, swirl the remainder and then pitch. There will be plenty of yeast that have settled out if you made a 2L starter. It would take a week or two in the fridge to get clear. I usually try to leave my starters in the fridge for at least 24 hours, but I have decanted after 12 hours in the fridge and have never had a problem. You do not need to let it warm up to room temperature before pitching either. As long as your wort is at the correct temp, decant and go ahead and pitch.

Thanks for the input...this is my first starter so I wasn't sure! It's also my first saison, my first time using raspberries, my first time using cayenne, and my first time using my new FastFerment conical. What could possibly go wrong!? Ha!

Thanks for the input...this is my first starter so I wasn't sure! It's also my first saison, my first time using raspberries, my first time using cayenne, and my first time using my new FastFerment conical. What could possibly go wrong!? Ha!
My first saison was a raspberry saison fermented with 3711. Absolutely loved it, one of the best beers I've done. Enjoy!

My starters always look exactly like yours after cold storage in the fridge for 18-24 hours before pitching. There's still yeast in suspension but you've still propagated lots of yeast! I pull mine out about 3 hours before I think I will pitch, decant all but about an inch of the liquid above the yeast and then gently swirl it every now and then as it is coming up to pitching temps. Fermentation has always started within 18-24 hours of pitching and the yeast have always fully attenuated.

As @Steveg229 said, pitch about 25% of the liquid on top with the rest of the yeast. The low(er) flocculent population is still in suspension, and you'll need some of those as they will be the ones that finish your saison out nice and low.

Thanks everyone...within 8 hours fermentation was vigorous and the airlock has been bubbling very aggressively all day...I'm happy!

Latest posts

Back