St. Patrick is upon us! What's on the menu?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdthorpe

Reaction score
With just a short seven or so weeks until the holiday of our patron Saint I was just wondering who was brewing/cooking anything special for the big day? I've got my eye on a particular stout recipe and the ingredients for a fine plate of bangers n' mash!

Beamish Genuine Irish Stout clone: 5 Gallons
OG: 1.042-44 FG: 1.009-20
SRM: 100+ IBU: 36 ABV: 4.2%
5.66# British 2-row Pale Malt
13 oz British Roasted Barley
.5# Flaked Wheat
6 oz British Black Patent Malt
Oat hulls
.5# invert sugar
1 oz Northdown (60 minutes)
.25 oz Goldings (15 minutes)

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale.

(This recipe is from "Beer Captured")

Mash at 149 for 90 minutes and hit that boil!

http://britishfood.about.com/od/adrecipes/r/bangersandmash.htm

I've got an Irish Stout in primary right now. Nothing fancy, just the NB kit. Plan on letting it sit awhile longer, maybe mid-February, before bottling.

Going to be brewing a Car Bomb Stout next week! It's a Guinness clone with Jameson and Vanilla Beans added in the secondary. Should be kegged and ready to go for St. Patrick's weekend!

I've got to get my head in the game. By the time I think about St Patrick's Day, Christmas, Summer beers, winter beers, etc, it's too late to do anything about it. I need a brewing calendar to tell me what to brew, and when to brew it.

I hadn't even thought of that. I'm brewing a brown belgian this weekend. Maybe the following weekend I'll do my first irish stout or some **** like that.

I married Chicago Irish, so St. Pat's is definitely in the top 365 drinking holidays for us!

Got a cherry vanilla imperial stout bottled in November that should be just about ready for the corned beef and cabbage.

Actually I've been doing some thinking and I came up with my own Irish stout recipe based off the Beamish recipe.
Target OG: 1.042-45 FG: 1.009-10 SRM: 100+ (dark as a coal miner's *******) IBV: 36 ABV: 4.2ish%

15 oz British Roasted Barley (500L dark color, dry roasted flavor)
4 oz Chocolate Malt ( 395-475L Nutty roasted flavor)
4 oz Black Barley (525L Dry flavor)
4 oz Flaked Barley (Creaminess, big head retention)
4 oz Flaked Wheat (Creaminess, head retention, body)

4.5# Light DME (or 5.66# Brit 2-row pale malt and 8 oz hulls and the specialty grains @ 149 for 90 minutes)
8 oz Clover Honey (balance out the dryness of the roasted grains and add some extra ABV kick)
1 oz Northdown hops at the 60 minute mark

.25 oz Styrian Goldings (at the 15 minute mark)
irish moss or whirlfloc ( 15 minute mark)

Wyeast 1084 or 1968

Primary: 1 week Secondary: 3 weeks Bottle Condition: 3 weeks
Total of 7 weeks which puts me right at the doorstep of March 17th.
Barley-Bomb Four Leaf Clover in respect to the 4-4oz specialty grains and the clover honey instead of invert sugar.

I've got my standard Auerbach Ale to brew. Its a pretty bare bones Irish Red - but I have taken to aging it with Jameson and oak.

Gotta make a big pot of potato leek bisque too.

I've got an Irish Stout in primary right now. Nothing fancy, just the NB kit. Plan on letting it sit awhile longer, maybe mid-February, before bottling.

Same here. I've made that one a couple of times, and always liked it. Just got it started for this year.

Well, I have a clone of Kate the Great Imperial Stout fermenting now for my wife's birthday. Might need to tap into it a day early!

i have a porter on tap, but i usually try to brew something stouty and watch boondock saints... being scotch irish, i'm very fond of this holiday! :)

OH! and i have casks i can use this year! SHIZ YES

Irish Red, brewed last weekend. It was a tough choice between a nice Red and a dry stout, but since I already have an oatmeal stout I decided to go with the Red. I'll probably pair that with some corned beef and cabbage.

ingredients for an oatmeal stout picked up yesterday. Should be awesome!

I am not brewing for St. Patrick's day but I always slow cook a nice big hunk of corned beef in my crock pot drenched in an Irish Stout and then throw potatoes and carrots on top of it in the last 2 hours.

I throw a big party and brew my O-fest beers on St. Patrick's Day. Then I wait 6 months and Brew St. Patricks brews during my O-fest party. I also do not brew Irish Red or Oktoberfest beers specifically as I always want to drink up the stuff from work or other commercial micro breweries (or imports).

On tap for St. Patricks is a 4.5% Dry Irish Stout and a 11% braggot/gruit made with heather tips (LOTS OF THEM!) I will also have Irish red from work. I have not thought about what I am brewing yet for O-fest but it will be a true Marzen!

:tank:

Redheaded step child? (get it? it's an irish blonde?)
Oxymoronic?
Tourist?

I was also thinking of abandoning the Irish name and just going with "Bride of Dagwood". I love that name for a blonde. Dagwood is an old English word...close enough to Irish, right?

I did a blonde last year for St. Patrick's, called it The Viking Invader. ;)

(It was the only blonde among a bunch of red ales.)

Redheaded step child? (get it? it's an irish blonde?)
Oxymoronic?
Tourist?

I have a daughter with red hair, I always call her my Firebird, I wonder what beer I could brew as a tribute to her and my Irish heritage...

I never actually did it with St. Paddy's Day in mind but I have a batch of CBBAron's Smooth Oatmeal Stout that is reaching the sampling stage, a Smithwick's clone that is in early bottle conditioning and a Cooper's stout concoction in the fermenter.

Unless I develop a serious drinking problem between now and March I thing I am squared away for Paddy's Day. I'll have to try to remember to do a half-n-half with the Smithwick's clone and one (or both) of the stouts.

I brewed the AG version of Schlenkerla's Quaffable Irish Red a month ago. Letting it sit until late Feb., then it goes on gas. mmmmmmm

Have an Irish oatmeal stout getting bottled next weekend

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

something english just to be an assh###...JK a dry irish stout of coarse

Starting a dry stout tomorrow, and put down a bitter last might. Should be good times.

I brewed a mega RIS on teach a friend to brew day in November with St Paddy's day in mind :)

Has anybody got any recipes for a big clone of the black stuff - scaled more in the region of 6-7% abv?

Being only a few hours from James' Gate, I'll need to produce something special to give people over the original :mug:

Has anybody got any recipes for a big clone of the black stuff - scaled more in the region of 6-7% abv?

Being only a few hours from James' Gate, I'll need to produce something special to give people over the original :mug:

11lbs maris otter
2lbs flaked barley
1lb roasted barley

2oz east kent goldings
wyeast 1084

OG 1072
75% BHE

also sour a guinness a few days before brewday and add it 10 mins before end of boil

Add some black patent and chocolate malt to make it black as a coal-miners ass.

Doing and Irish Stout, and an English Bitter. Was going to do a Red ale and the Bitter, but found a sixer of leftover Irish Red (Amazing what hides in the back of your fridge.) I made for last St. Patricks, and that's plenty. :D

Man, I've been having some great luck with recipes lately. The barley bomb four leaf clover is absolutely incredible thus far. Crazy amounts of roastiness, smooth creamy body, and the SRM's are out of control. Can't wait to see this bad Oscar carbed up. I took a gravity sample and looked at it and asked myself "how much more black could this be?" And the answer is none more black.

So I've got an Irish red that's going on nitro along with the dry stout. Gonna be a good st patty's day

Back