St. Patrick is upon us! What's on the menu?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Filling the polypin full of Oatmeal stout! was only 2.5 gallons in there, the rest went into the empty keg

IMG_20140131_160055_706_zpsouxjkopw.jpg

I put an Irish Red in the primary today. Happy St Patrick's Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This St. Patricks has a good chance to get sloppy. I've got a zombie dust clone that just finished up bottle conditioning, a dry irish stout that will be bottled next week, and a big ass belgian strong that will be ready by march as well. All told, 15 gallons of brew at my grubby little fingertips.

I have been trying to reestablish my pipeline recently. So, if I can get off my butt and get my kegs cleaned, and manage to transfer into them and carbonate it all in time I should have

5 G Cream Ale
5 G Zombie Dust Clone
5 G Infected Pumpkin Ale from this fall, which still isnt sour or vinegary
5 G Amber Bock
10 G Buffalo Sweat - fermenting currently
And I think I still have a gallon or so of FBS in the kegerator with a keg of Apfelwein.

Man I need more Cornies. After I drink these kegs currently on tap, and the next one, I will only have 5 kegs left! I need to brew more beer!

Just brewed a Irish Red that will be ready for the big weekend. It might get dry hopped too, just to make it a little more exciting!

Hmmn, I had forgotten about St. Patrick's Day. I may put off the altbier I've been planning (again) and try out my Midnight Oil II recipe:

Midnight Oil II
5 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. brown malt
8oz. roasted barley
4oz. flaked barley
4oz. crystal 45L
4oz. honey malt
4oz. chocolate malt
2oz. EKG (5%AA) @ 60 min.
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale yeast), 1 pkg.

I figure it will mostly be dry, despite the crystal and honey malt, but with plenty of body.

Brewcity-please do share this recipe in entirety if you have!

Love the additions.

Car Bomb Stout

6 Gallon Batch

Mash:
Protein Rest @ 135*F for 45 min.
Sacc Rest @ 153*F for 45 min.
6# Maris Otter
3# Flaked Barley
1#Roasted Barley

Boil (60min):
UK East Kent Goldings (5.6% AA) @ 60min
Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15min
1/2# Lactose @ Flameout*
24oz Guinness @ Flameout*

Fermentation:
10 day primary at 65*F
10 day secondary with additions**

OG: 1.043
FG: 1.010
ABV: 4.3%
IBU: 33

*24 oz of Guinness left out for 5 days to sour then frozen and set aside until brew day. On brew day, boil the Guinness separately for 10 min and stir in lactose. Add Guinness/lactose combo to wort at flameout. The soured Guinness is intended to provide that famous Guinness "tang"

**Soak 2 vanilla beans (slit open and scraped) in 16oz of Jameson Irish Whiskey during the primary. Add the whole lot to the secondary.

That's a little complicated so please let me know if you have any questions!

Hmmn, I had forgotten about St. Patrick's Day. I may put off the altbier I've been planning (again) and try out my Midnight Oil II recipe:

Midnight Oil II
5 lbs. Maris Otter
1 lb. brown malt
8oz. roasted barley
4oz. flaked barley
4oz. crystal 45L
4oz. honey malt
4oz. chocolate malt
2oz. EKG (5%AA) @ 60 min.
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale yeast), 1 pkg.

I figure it will mostly be dry, despite the crystal and honey malt, but with plenty of body.

I like it.

I was going to make Lil Red Devil (a red blonde ale) for the wife, but as a fan of everything roasty this one may bump it. :mug:

Hmmn, interesting. I was thinking of upping the flaked barley and chocolate malt to 8oz. each. I'm not sure yet which approach would work better.

With a strong Irish background I always look forward to the holiday, not for drinking actually but for the food. Fried cabbage and potatoes, with pork chops or bacon ends is always a hit. Sometimes we have beans and cornbread, or even certain types of soup. I dunno how Irish this stuff actually is, but it's what my family eats when we're together. Sometimes my grandparents and great aunts and uncles will tell stories passed down from those who came here from Ireland.

As for drink, I might prefer a Miller pony to remind me of loved ones gone, of coarse there will be Oatmeal Stout on tap waiting for me at home.

We usually do "irish nachos" which i'm sure isn't an irish treat, but it's great.

steak fries covered in cheese, corned beef, usually some bacon and some misc veggies and when it comes out, slather on the sour cream and be in nomzville.

but of course there is corned beef and cabbage :mug:

I kegged an Imperial stout today that should do the trick and plan on corning a brisket. I did a trial run on the beef and tasted so much better than packaged!

How did it go? I wasn't able to brew mine until today, and I got a 6 whole gallons into the fermenter this time and hit my gravity numbers. Can't wait to try it. :ban:

Ended up with too much water so I boiled longer to get it down. Only issue was my 60 & 30min hops turned into 90 & 60... WHOOPS! I'm sure it'll be good either way!

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

gonna be cooking all damn day. but forgot to brew, so just whatever i got on tap. btw someone mentioned car bombs. i had a girl ask me at a bar to make her a car bomb one time and i refused. she asked why. i said for the same reason i wouldn't make a drink called a gas the jew or hang the black guy. it's damn offensive.

My stout is ready to be kegged. I just need to kick a couple of kegs now

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Back