Splitting Crushed Grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have these grains crushed in a sealed package, and there is just no way I can get 6gallons of wort to boil on my stovetop. Suddenly don't have the cash right now to get a turkey fryer or build/buy an electric element like I had planned. Can I just shake this bag up to make sure everything is mixed well, and just measure out half?

Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 7 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 120 2 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1 lbs, 12 oz
Caramel Pils 0 lbs, 12 oz

2dj70j9.jpg

When I do this, I normally dump them into a pot, then stir well since some grains will settle, then split on a scale. I do this because my LHBS tends to like to leave very little free space in the bag. It's hard to tell how much free space there is in your bag, but it doesn't look like much.

I split my mashes all the time. You can mash the two seperately, or once after the other and boil them all at once. If you have mostly high enzyme malt there, splitting after a good mix will be just fine.

Actually, I should note that I do this so I can brew smaller batches in totally different sessions. If you're going to brew two smaller pots in parallel so you can combine into the same batch, then getting them very well mixed is not as important. As long as you have reasonable amounts of base grains to each split to make the mash conversion happen (like jjones said), then you're probably OK. Then just split by weight so your mash proportions are good.

I understand your boiling problem. It's one reason I've started doing 2.5 gallon batches, the other being it's cheaper to experiment! I have a t-fryer, but it's been too cold to brew outside lately. My stove cannot get more than about 3 gallons to boil.

If you had grains in there with no diastatic power you could possibly have an issue if you didn't mix well. As it is, the Brewer's malt will convert itself and the caramel malts are already converted, so you're fine even if you didn't mix. (This is assuming that you will be doing two boils and then mixing them in a single fermenter.)

By the way. What'r you making there?
33% caramel malts?

Just an attempt at a red ale recipe I found someplace. I actually just finished this a few minutes ago, waiting for it to cool some more so I can pitch some Safale S-05. I split the grain bag in half, and ended up with about 5.75lbs of grain.

The hops part of the recipe was 0.5 oz Cascade @ 60, 30, 10, and 0min. Its a medium red in color. The brewing process went pretty smooth, but here are the slightly non-related highlights..

-Rebuilt a new keg and kegged a mint chocolate stout (2.5G)
-Lost the hose clamps I use to attach my tubing to my chiller, so ended up hosing down half the kitchen with a couple gallons of water multiple times
-Broke up with an already ex-gf due to me driving to pick up said keg yesterday (Yeah, I don't get it either.)
-Bottled some mint chocolate stout already kegged and carbed (and almost gone!)

So the OG ended up at 1.040 @ 88F after a 90min mash @ 152. I've had few beers now, but it didn't taste so bad. :) Color is pretty light in the vial, more of a dark yellow than red.

Latest posts

Back