splitting a Super Kleer pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a gallon of mead in need of clearing, so I ordered a pack of Super-Kleer KC. Never used it before, and didn't know it's liquid. I want to split the packs and only use 1/5 th of it for a single gallon. Has anyone done this, and if so what did you store the remainder in?

I wouldn't store it. What I do is wait til I have multiple batches (3 gal and 1 gal for example) and split it up between that.
Otherwise, take it as a $3 life lesson!

PS - Sparkolloid doesn't clear as well, takes longer, and the lees are super fluffy and easy to remix. Sure it's cheap, but yeah. it's cheap.

If you can establish how many milliliters are in the packet, you can use a plastic syringe without the needle and divide it up five or six ways, as you see fit.

Lukebiz,
You stated
PS - Sparkolloid doesn't clear as well, takes longer, and the lees are super fluffy and easy to remix. Sure it's cheap, but yeah. it's cheap.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, I've tried 4 or 5 different fining agents and at least in my case, in the past several years of using Sparkolloid I've had nothing but great success and crystal clear wine, if the wine takes a few days longer to clear it's no big deal, I have plenty of wine to hold me over for those few extra days.
Obviously, we all have the products that we prefer, and as long as what ever you are using gives you the results that you want, I'd stick with it.

IME, sparkloid creates very fluffy lees. It clears fine but don't touch the carboy or the lees will kick up. Superkleer creates lees that are almost rock like. Much more forgiving when racking.

If you can establish how many milliliters are in the packet, you can use a plastic syringe without the needle and divide it up five or six ways, as you see fit.

That's kinda what I have in mind. I'll squeeze the liquids into small plastic bottles and weigh them (tare), then dispense with a syringe. I hope the remainder will keep.

Seems silly to package a product that only treats one batch size. Not everyone makes 5 gallons of mead at a time.

Maylar I used the first part of the Super Kleer with some mead last night. I wanted to divide it six ways, so I added enough water to have a total of 42 Mls and then added 7 Mls to each gallon. You have to add water because there is a very small amount in the first packet.

Thanks for that, bro. I just added a couple teaspoons of warm water and weighed it on a sensitive scale. The small packet (white stuff) is like paste, might be out of date I dunno. But I managed to measure out 1/5th of it and mix with my gallon of mead. Will do the same for part B tonight and see what time brings.

This is a JAO BOMM that finished around Christmas and it just won't clear. Already added pectic enzyme for the oranges with no change. This KC stuff is kinda my last resort.

I've read that some mead won't clear for more than a year. I've got some I've been waiting on since June. Apparently the Super Kleer doesn't work 100% of the time, but its pretty well spoken of. I'm leaving town for 5 weeks and checking on mine when I get back. I've taken to using Bentonite in all my mead primaries, it seems to very effective in clearing

Back