Spencer Abbey Trappist Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read about this on NPR. Very exciting!

Personally, I'm a fan of the bigger Abbey ales, so I hope they expand their repertoire, but cool nonetheless.

I'm looking forward to it myself.
I was looking at another thread on another board, and they were saying pricing might be a bit higher than I was hoping, but I will definitely be picking some up.
They are saying release will be next week.
Looking forward to finding it at my locals places.

Anyone willing to pick me up a 6er and UPS it to me? :) I'll reimburse you or try to find a 6er of something that's unique to this area (I live in north Georgia!)

17 to 19 dollars for a 4 pack of 11.2 ounce bottles? I'll pass and brew a batch.

It is rather steep but no more so than the Belgian imports. I think Orval is $6 a bottle out here

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the Trappist beers. I've tasted a few on site. Ok 1 site a few beers. I've bought and tried all I've been able to get. However, I hope a lot of money goes to charity at that price. Because after all they are just a bunch of Cisternian splitters! ;) Andechs abbey near Munich has been making wonderful beers at reasonable prices for centuries longer.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the Trappist beers. I've tasted a few on site. Ok 1 site a few beers. I've bought and tried all I've been able to get. However, I hope a lot of money goes to charity at that price. Because after all they are just a bunch of Cisternian splitters! ;) Andechs abbey near Munich has been making wonderful beers at reasonable prices for centuries longer.

I don't think you can legitimately compare the burgeoning Andechs operation to the Spencer Abbey. If you've ever enjoyed the Andechs abbey you know they have a multi-faceted revenue stream of which the brewery - while the biggest part - is still just one piece (their tavern and dining operation surely brings in a lot of money - the place is packed every time I go).

The Spencer Abbey has none of that, just a nascent brewery. And from the article, I'd say they qualify as their own charity right now...

Cheers!

Yes I can compare them. Right, Andechs has good food as well, grown on site and their prices are on par with other beer gardens in the area. Spencer will be putting out a product and asking exorbitant prices based on the Trappist "brand" Good on them, I won't partake.

texcan2000 said:
Yes I can compare them. Right, Andechs has good food as well, grown on site and their prices are on par with other beer gardens in the area. Spencer will be putting out a product and asking exorbitant prices based on the Trappist "brand" Good on them, I won't partake.
Edit: I just saw this is your topic. Don't mean to rain on your parade. I reckon I'd be excited if it happening down the road from me too.

Agreed, I reckon I'd be pretty excited if it was happening down the road from me too.

I'm visiting family in the area from Ohio and will be looking to see if there are any tours or tastings before the 15th. That would be fantastic.

On another note, we are going to some brewery on Monday so if this falls through, what do you guys think? I'm staying in Lowell, MA and willing to go as far as Portland, ME

I don't think you can legitimately compare the burgeoning Andechs operation to the Spencer Abbey. If you've ever enjoyed the Andechs abbey you know they have a multi-faceted revenue stream of which the brewery - while the biggest part - is still just one piece (their tavern and dining operation surely brings in a lot of money - the place is packed every time I go).

The Spencer Abbey has none of that, just a nascent brewery. And from the article, I'd say they qualify as their own charity right now...

Cheers!

They actually do jams and jellies under the Trappist brand, but I gather that isn't making as much money as it used to.
Part of the requirements for getting the Trappist label, as I understand it, is that it is not to be a for-profit endeavor. All the money must go either to the abbey, for upkeep, repairs and so on, things that they can't make or grow on their own, with any extra for charities.
I understand that this is a huge expense getting this up and running; I've spoken to people at a couple local stores that worked with them, as well as Dann Paquette of Pretty Things, who helped get the monks up and running from the brewing standpoint, along with the brewers from Duvel (I believe, and I don't remember the name of the Abbey itself right now)
Besides getting all the permissions from the state and federals, they've had to work for a long time to get the Trappist label, and of course build and outfit the building itself. This has been ongoing for a couple years now.
I would have hoped that the smaller beers at least would be less pricey than the imported Abbey ales, but I can understand why they aren't.

I'm visiting family in the area from Ohio and will be looking to see if there are any tours or tastings before the 15th. That would be fantastic.

On another note, we are going to some brewery on Monday so if this falls through, what do you guys think? I'm staying in Lowell, MA and willing to go as far as Portland, ME

They currently are closed the the public. Can't even buy the beer there (once available).

Here is a list of all the MA breweries: http://www.massbrewersguild.org/craft-beer/index.php/member-breweries/

I would recommend Treehouse. Poor mans version of Hill Farmstead and currently own the #3 IPA on BA. They are amall though and not much of a tour. If you want big and impressive do Harpoon or Boston Beer Co.

Just bought a 4-pack of the Spencer beer @ the store near my office. Going to sample it tonight. Pricey, that's for sure.

Grabbing some on my way home today. My buddy is also getting a few. Seems distribution is pretty strong. Already at my local watering hole.

Easy drinking with lots of yeast character. The typical banana cloves spice and whatnot. A solid Trappist ale. Not sure I would buy it regularly but it's very good.

Ditto. Belgians aren't my favorite style, but this is well done. Banana on the nose, clove on the tongue, nicely balanced and smooth. Glad I got one to sample.

As I said, I'm not a Belgian fanatic, but if you are I think you'll enjoy this beer. They did it right.

$20/4-pack at Apple Country Market in Clinton.

I expected it to be so-so and figured it was over priced and over hyped. But it's great.

Others have done a nice job describing the flavor. I would add that it's a pretty beer with perfect carbonation and very clean and fresh tasting.

Way to go monks!

image.jpg

They actually do jams and jellies under the Trappist brand, but I gather that isn't making as much money as it used to.
Part of the requirements for getting the Trappist label, as I understand it, is that it is not to be a for-profit endeavor. All the money must go either to the abbey, for upkeep, repairs and so on, things that they can't make or grow on their own, with any extra for charities.

I was wondering what Trappist actually meant.

from google:

Trap·pist ˈtrapist/

adjective
1. relating to a branch of the Cistercian order of monks founded in 1664 and noted for an austere rule that includes remaining silent for much of the time.

noun
2. a member of the Trappist order.

and from the article

Brother Keeley calls the initial production "a drastic under-use of this facility."

hmmm.... marketing 101?

One must learn to walk before one runs. The Abbey has something like 10-15 times the capacity of this first production - and it seems likely they won't lack for buyers as they ramp up.

99 Bottles reviewed a variety of Trappist brews in the Globe Magazine today. The Spencer Abbey offering came out looking very good indeed.

I had been planning to pick up a four-pack at the earliest opportunity, and I'm fortunate to live in a town with a package store that has a fairly comprehensive inventory of exotics (all of the available Trappist brews are carried here, for instance) and they had a dedicated display of the Spencer brew sitting at the check-out counters. Perfect!

It's weird, but I find myself sporting a parochial sentiment about this endeavor, and couldn't be happier about it. I am very hopeful that this works out for the Abbey - and we mere mortals ;)

Tomorrow the Spousal Unit and I will crack one of these open and see for ourselves what the monks have produced...and likely crack a second...

Cheers!

spencer_trappist_ale_sm.jpg

As my friend put it...its the best trappist all in all the Americas. I just wish it was slightly higher in ABV so I could age a few. I probably will age a 4-pack anyway but 6.5% isn't really conducive to improving over a couple of years

I'd like to get my hands on some. If anyone wants to trade for some Colorado beers let me know. Funkwerks, Crooked Stave, too many small breweries to mention.

Had it like an hour ago...malt profile is all bread. Dominated by esters/phenols. Clove and banana hit you off the bat and stick with it throughout. Spicy with a balanced finish and a tiny residual sweetness. Scored it a 3.75/5. I think that might be on the low side and some will rate it much higher. Well done and a solid showing from Murica. The hype/scarcity might leave people disappointed though

i picked up a couple 4 packs and i have to say this beer exceeded my expectations but i'm really not surprised...they had a lot of help and oversight from harpoon and the monks at chimay. also, i doubt the other trappist breweries would let them release junk and tarnish the brand.

interested to see if/when/how they are gonna utilize their 40k barrel capacity. Maybe a dubbel or quad?

i would favorably compare this beer to Duvel. Similar hop profile, carbonation, dryness. Balanced clove/banana.

I'm culturing yeast from bottle dregs for a brew next weekend!

Work has been so insane I forgot about my own thread!

The wife and I totally enjoyed the first bottle of this brew, it really was tasty - and very different from anything I brew, for sure. I don't have much experience with the style as I rarely buy beer and restaurants almost never carry anything Trappist around these parts, but we enjoyed it such that I may have to do some research to see what a comparable recipe requires.

And every time I go down to the brewery I see the other three...and they're calling to me ;) I'm trying to avoid their stare, but one of those bottles will not make it to the weekend...

Cheers!

Back