Spencer Abbey Trappist Ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even $10 for 4 11.2 oz bottles is expesive for an "Enkel". There's nothing inherently frou-frou premium about Trappist beers that justifies over double the price of comparable beers.

I'm not sure the abbey is setting the price though. If anything they should be pushing for a more reasonable price, as I understand the monks in Europe have refused to raise prices on their beers despite increasing demand. I don't know the price of Trappist beers in Europe, but it's definitely less than $20 a 4-pack.

The price on Ommegang has creeped a lot lately too.

Any chance someone could ship me a pack? I really want to try this beer. I work at a brewery in Houston, TX. I'd be willing to send some hard to find outside of TX brews or pay for them to be shipped to me. Either way.

Current issue of BYO (May/June, 2014) has a nice article on this brewery/beer and includes the recipe, provided directly from the monks. Since I live out of state, I will have to brew it to taste it.

Very interesting to read about the history of the beer and how it fits in to the other Trappist breweries, particularly the involvement of the other Trappists in its creation.

Was out in Bean-town to watch SWMBO run the marathon and popped into a little pub "Tavern at the End of the World". Wasn't too hopeful, but they had it! It tasted like a milder Westmalle Tripple. I really enjoyed it. Back in Texas now, so no hope of seeing another any time soon.

Just got back from a visit to central MA, and yes, I had to buy myself a four pack of Spencer (at Julio's of course). Yes, I agree that the price is quite high, but this is a wicked good beer. Now back in Europe with three bottles left I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Julio's.

There is something a little magical about this newborn Trappist - I guess I could dream of European distribution someday...

Just for comparison here in Europe (Denmark) 4 x 12 oz. Rochefort 10 about $24.00 or 4 x 12 oz. Orval about $18.00. So for me the price was not an issue.

Seems harsh. Kloster Andechs really is a great place to have a hearty dinner and marvel at the whole scene as it unfolds.

It's like performance art - with liters of beer! What's not to love?

Cheers! :mug:

Oh - wait. There's that "Lord's Work" thing...Well, the "Lord's Work" doesn't happen for free these days...

Distributed in CT now. It's pretty alright, not very exciting, and no way is it worth $4 per 11.2 oz bottle. I probably would pass even at $10 a sixer, plenty of better options.

Orval costs less and in my opinion it's world class and inimitable. And it comes in a sweet bottle that's heavy as a brick.

They need a brewmaster with some creativity and a truly unique product. Similar to what happened at Orval actually. An American Trappist beer should be something special, world renowned, not a decent imitation of what the Belgians excel at.

Back