Soapy flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motherofgallons

Label design, mead, cider, wine, kombucha
Reaction score
I made an orange creamsicle BOMM but it has a strong soapy flavor which I’ve never come across in one of my batches before. All I can suspect are the following ingredients added in secondary:

vodka tincture of dried bitter orange peel, coriander seeds, tonka bean
Vanilla extract
Zest of 3 blood oranges, 1 lemon, 1 regular orange, 1/2 red grapefruit.

has anyone ever gotten a soapy flavor from these? I didn’t taste soap before or on day of bottling which was about 3 weeks ago. I tried a bottle last week and found the flavor. Just tried a new bottle and its even worse.

I clean my bottles with PBW, rinse at least 3 times, then starsan.

Maybe its the coriander seeds or the citrus zest. I scrubbed them before peeling the zest in strips (minimal but not 0 pith) with a sharp knife, so if there were pesticides I thought they were rinsed off but maybe not. I hope it will age out but i suspect it might not.

Last edited:
I love coriander and i am aware of the soap tasting gene which i do not have. But maybe in the process of the tincture it brought it out somehow. But i have the leftover seeds from the tincture and i tasted them. They taste like coriander and an earthy lemony flavor which i feel in the mead, but no soap.

I love coriander and i am aware of the soap tasting gene which i do not have. But maybe in the process of the tincture it brought it out somehow. But i have the leftover seeds from the tincture and i tasted them. They taste like coriander and an earthy lemony flavor which i feel in the mead, but no soap.

I've had an awful time with soapy flavors. I've got two kegs to dump right now (IPAs). I'm starting to think it's bad/oxidized hops, or water.

See this following thread. There is not an answer yet, but I swear there will be soon.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/soapy-taste-in-beer-almost-solved-getting-close.669225/

No hops, and the same Stockholm tap water I always use.

i can only think maybe it was a weird reaction or side effect of coriander tincture watered down. I tasted the tincture at bottling and it was good.

UPDATE: oddly enough, the soapy flavor has begun to fade. Not much orange and the vanilla/tonka is also faint but it's pleasant to drink now at least. I'm glad I didn't dump it. It will probably improve in the bottle.

Back