So you want to use a commercial keg for fermenting huh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MAN every time I use this I am even more excited then the last! Honestly for me if I am going to dry hop, I am going to transfer into another Sanke keg and use my kit for the transfer, I have done this now 2x's just playing around and if you go from Dip Tube to Dip tube and use 2 kits the transfer is seamless and always under Co2..... Super cool!!! The really cool thing is you don't have to buy an entire kit to do it. I separated all the parts on my website so you can just pick and choose what you need.

Cheers
Jay

@Brickman

Hopefully this will be on the site tonight.... Its the original kit that I am using and the 16" thermowell welded in to the cap as well.

Cheers
Jay

UltimateSankeKit.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WoH8OTM5QU&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Made another video of the updated version with the cross and the ball lock gas in port.

This shows how to get it put together and how the racking can get associated with the spray head.

Man I am loving this thing!

Cheers
Jay

Would there be clearance for this in a kegerator if one used that to ferment in?

@Jaybird
I don't have a fridge or anything yet that would fit this. What are you using for temp control with a sanke?

Top of the racking cane is 6.5" above the keg connection. Not sure how much room you have in your fridge.
Could you measure the total height when installed in a Sanke keg with the racking tube as low as possible? I think it might fit in my chest freezer, but it'll be a close fit.

I'm currently using a 60L Speidel fermenter, but there's no good way to do pressurized transfers (small leaks around the lid) so I've been hoisting it out of the chest freezer with a pulley system to do gravity transfers into a corny and one of these days it's bound to end in a disaster. It would be nice to ferment in a Sanke in the chest freezer and then push the beer into cornies with CO2.

Could you measure the total height when installed in a Sanke keg with the racking tube as low as possible? I think it might fit in my chest freezer, but it'll be a close fit.

I'm currently using a 60L Speidel fermenter, but there's no good way to do pressurized transfers (small leaks around the lid) so I've been hoisting it out of the chest freezer with a pulley system to do gravity transfers into a corny and one of these days it's bound to end in a disaster. It would be nice to ferment in a Sanke in the chest freezer and then push the beer into cornies with CO2.

Sure, but not all 15.5 gallon half barrel kegs are the same height. I will grab a normal american half barrel today and set up up and get you a measurement. Give me a few hours.

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay,

so what would you say the advantage is in the kit with the cross over the T. The extra fitting with the CO2 hook up just makes transfers under pressure easier? It doesn't affect the cleaning process you show in the video? Just curious since the video uses the T. Do you hook up your blow off tube to the opposite side of the CO2 hook up? Definitely would like to move my cleaning process outside and make life easier doing transfers to my corny after fermentation.

Hey Jay,

so what would you say the advantage is in the kit with the cross over the T. The extra fitting with the CO2 hook up just makes transfers under pressure easier? It doesn't affect the cleaning process you show in the video? Just curious since the video uses the T. Do you hook up your blow off tube to the opposite side of the CO2 hook up? Definitely would like to move my cleaning process outside and make life easier doing transfers to my corny after fermentation.

Yes for sure. I have found that being able to simply shut the ball valve for the blow off/cleaning and add C02 with my already set up gas ball lock just makes the transfer under zero oxygen AND makes it a snap. All you do is add gas and open up racking can valve and your flowing either into your corny or sanke for carbonating and serving.

Cheers
Jay

I currently pressure ferment with corny kegs.
In order to keep all my equipment the same and use one of these to bump the volume to 10+ gallons I would need a ball lock liquid post on the racking cane.
Is this something that you can offer as an option? I am thinking that it can be used with a compression fitting or even wielded on.

In order to keep all my equipment the same and use one of these to bump the volume to 10+ gallons I would need a ball lock liquid post on the racking cane.
Is this something that you can offer as an option? I am thinking that it can be used with a compression fitting or even wielded on.

I will have a picture of one set up that way by the end of the day today...

Cheers
Jay

How is that for GETTING ON IT! LOL

I will have pricing on this in a bit for an OPTION on the entire part.

Cheers
Jay

BeerOUTcane.jpg

BeerOUTcane2.jpg

That was quick, added to my Christmas list!
In this configuration the bend isn't required, could you offer it straight as well?

I have a somewhat unrelated question too about your cleaning solution.
Do you ferment in a sanke? If so does the cleaning spray wand tool thingy get the top flange cleaned pretty good?
I always have trouble getting the top cleaned due to fermentation, the stuff that sticks to the top doesn't come off easy.
Usually requires overnight soaks upside down.

That was quick, added to my Christmas list!
In this configuration the bend isn't required, could you offer it straight as well?

I have a somewhat unrelated question too about your cleaning solution.
Do you ferment in a sanke? If so does the cleaning spray wand tool thingy get the top flange cleaned pretty good?
I always have trouble getting the top cleaned due to fermentation, the stuff that sticks to the top doesn't come off easy.
Usually requires overnight soaks upside down.

I am sure we can get you one made that is straight. I am going to add the part as a bent solution just so its an added part to the racking cane but when your ready I'll make you a straight one.

Yes I ferment in a keg. Yes the 3" spray nipple gets the top really well. What I do is this.
add my CIP PBW solution to the keg HOT CIP is important as its a little stronger than the soak n clean. Then I hook up my pump, now I add a little Co2 and push some liquid through pump and turn it on. Then hook it up back thorough the ball valve and let her rip. It just sits there and circulates through the spray head. I do this honestly for about 1/2 hour or so. then start my rinse cycles etc. Every time I open up my kegs they are clean. I sometimes lazy out and just fill em with PBW from the brewery once I drain it, but most of the time its CIP because I want to clean EVERYTHING. I have found that the outside of my racking cane doesn't get hit where the krausen line was. But I just wipe that off quick like and I am done.

Cheers
Jay

So the more I think about this the more I think you are right it doesn't need to be bent. This will be its own part totally addable as an option. I really like that idea and let it stand on its own. I will have a price in the system tomorrow but I think it will come in around $30.

Cheers
Jay

Jay,
That's fantastic!
There is something to be said about a well made SS product. Well done.
I haven't ordered one yet but it's on my list.

Thank you for all you do for the community.

Jay,
That's fantastic!
There is something to be said about a well made SS product. Well done.
I haven't ordered one yet but it's on my list.

Thank you for all you do for the community.

Thanks man! Always a pleasure to be a part of something special like HBT!

Cheers
Jay

Is there any way you could make this only 4" or less above the top of the keg? Like maybe just a hose barb or something?

Is the liquid post welded to the cane? Only reason I ask is I already have a 1/2" racking cane and tee. I just need the liquid and gas ball lock posts, the reduced for the gas side from a 1/2" tee and then I'm assuming you used a bore through compression fitting on the racking cane?

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this idea now, after having used it for a while?

I'm kicking around the idea of a new fermenter in my future, but I'm unsure of what type (I do 5g batches). You have ss brew buckets, conical...I've already got a fast ferment. I'm looming to reduce exposure during fermentation and on transfer.

Jaybird, have you ever thought of cutting the top of the sanke, making a 4" hole. Then weld a 4" TC collar on there to mate to your fermentos conversion plate?

Love to hear thought and concerns

Is the liquid post welded to the cane? Only reason I ask is I already have a 1/2" racking cane and tee. I just need the liquid and gas ball lock posts, the reduced for the gas side from a 1/2" tee and then I'm assuming you used a bore through compression fitting on the racking cane?

The adapter is welded to the cane. Its a 19/32 threaded adapter for the connection. You can swap gas or liquid just by changing the connection. I personally change it out and carbonate into the bottom of the keg like a bright tank. Then swap it for dispensing. Yes its a pass through compression fitting.

Cheers
Jay

Just wondering what everyone thinks about this idea now, after having used it for a while?

I'm kicking around the idea of a new fermenter in my future, but I'm unsure of what type (I do 5g batches). You have ss brew buckets, conical...I've already got a fast ferment. I'm looming to reduce exposure during fermentation and on transfer.

Jaybird, have you ever thought of cutting the top of the sanke, making a 4" hole. Then weld a 4" TC collar on there to mate to your fermentos conversion plate?

Love to hear thought and concerns

What plate are you talking about exactly? We don't do anything 4" at the moment. Were able to get all we need and then some on a 2" cap, including the thermowell....

Cheers
Jay

What plate are you talking about exactly? We don't do anything 4" at the moment. Were able to get all we need and then some on a 2" cap, including the thermowell....

Cheers
Jay

I was looking at what you do and combining it into something like Sabco has done in their 7.75 fermenter.

A system like this would be slick in a converted sanke. The 4" collar would provide for an easy access to clean.

I was looking at what you do and combining it into something like Sabco has done in their 7.75 fermenter.

A system like this would be slick in a converted sanke

GOTCHA! I wanted to create something you guys didn't have to do any welding to. EVERYTHING you can do in this fermentation/serving set up you can do from the top with ZERO welding or drilling.

Cheers
Jay

Hey Jay, I'm in the market to find the equipment for fermenting in my spare 13.5 Gal Sanke. I like what I see with your set up, just wondering about dry hopping. I've only go the means to use 1 keg and often do IPA's with several ounces of hop pellets.

Hey Jay, I'm in the market to find the equipment for fermenting in my spare 13.5 Gal Sanke. I like what I see with your set up, just wondering about dry hopping. I've only go the means to use 1 keg and often do IPA's with several ounces of hop pellets.

Welcome to HBT Adam.

You can dry hop in the keg. I have, you just have to remove the unit and toss in the hops. Then use the adjustable racking cane to transfer off the hops after they settle. I guess you can use a bag but you just have to remove it after and I think that could be a PITA but doable. Cleaning was easy but you will have to invert the keg to get out all the hops. I was using pellet hops and have not tried it with whole yet.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay, quick question...what do you recommend as the best way to transfer cooled wort into the the sanke; do I need a pump with fittings for the ball lock on racking cane or dump wort in keg with the ferement kit removed???

Hi Jay, quick question...what do you recommend as the best way to transfer cooled wort into the the sanke; do I need a pump with fittings for the ball lock on racking cane or dump wort in keg with the ferement kit removed???

Both work. I used to go in the racking cane but I have to take the top off to get the yeast in there anyway so I now just pull the top. Seems easier for me.

Cheers
Jay

Sure, but not all 15.5 gallon half barrel kegs are the same height. I will grab a normal american half barrel today and set up up and get you a measurement. Give me a few hours.

Cheers
Jay

I need a fermenter for 10 gallon batches Jay. I am going to order one of these as soon as I find a keg. I just read through all this but I didn't see where you measured it. So how tall is it???

I need a fermenter for 10 gallon batches Jay. I am going to order one of these as soon as I find a keg. I just read through all this but I didn't see where you measured it. So how tall is it???

23-24" I have several in the store and they are all a little different

Cheers
Jay

Back