So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some root beer and enlisted my nieces as helpers. I think they had fun measuring out the sugars, adding the spices, using a socket wrench for the first time to tighten the keg posts, watching for bubbles around the seals, etc. One of them had a juice box and I got the bright idea to use that the explain how the dip tube works.

Doughed in on my house IPA 30 minutes ago. Forgot I was out of crystal, so I toasted up my own. I think I got to 20L or so, and it tasted pretty biscuity. Should be a fun little experiment.

I'm brewing my Chinook/Columbus IIPA today, and currently have my strike water heating on the stove.

For 3 gal batch: 6 lb Pale Ale, 1.5 lb White Wheat, 1 lb c20, 1 lb carafoam

Columbus 1 oz @60
Chinook .5 oz @15
Chinook .5 oz @ 5
Chinook 1 oz @ Flameout

Dry hopping with 1 oz each of Columbus/chinook

US-05 slurry

B rewed a blonde and did my first attempt at FWH I probably came in low if you can believe brewers friend software. I just don't see how you can only get 70% of the bitterness from the extra time.:confused:

FWH is difficult to describe with IBUs.

The stuff I'm reading on it these days indicates that your actual IBUs (if you send it to a lab for measuring) will be about 10% higher than a boil addition. So if you would have gotten 50 IBUs from your full boil time addition, your actual IBUs will be about 55.

However, the perceived bitterness of FWH is much lower than a full boil time addition. So when you drink it, you might be perceiving 70% of the bitterness of a boil addition's IBUs, or in the above example, 35 IBUs.

A blonde ale is probably a good style to test it on to see if you like it.

Just put a Maris Otter/ Mosaic SMaSH in the fermenting chamber.

I've never used Mosaic before, but I tasted an APA in the Cahaba Brewing Company's single hop series brewed with Mosaic and fell in love with it. I used the same hop schedule as my last MO SMaSH so we'll see what happens. 10 pounds Maris Otter, .5oz @60, 1oz @ 10 and 5, and I'll dry hop with 2.5oz for 4 days.

FWH is difficult to describe with IBUs.

The stuff I'm reading on it these days indicates that your actual IBUs (if you send it to a lab for measuring) will be about 10% higher than a boil addition. So if you would have gotten 50 IBUs from your full boil time addition, your actual IBUs will be about 55.

However, the perceived bitterness of FWH is much lower than a full boil time addition. So when you drink it, you might be perceiving 70% of the bitterness of a boil addition's IBUs, or in the above example, 35 IBUs.

A blonde ale is probably a good style to test it on to see if you like it.
Thanks Beer nik I will see in a month!:mug:

My understanding with first wort hopping was that the bitterness would be similar to a 15 minute addition. Somehow the acids get isomerized in the 160 degree wort already and don't get affected by the boil as much.

Kids and I brewed our first batch on Sat. American Pale Ale. We had lots of fun, learned the lesson of the boil-over, got it all in the carboy with minimal spillage. Krausen formed, resting comfortably in the fermentation chamber.

Brewed the Bells Two Hearted clone...dang I need a mill for my BIAB!! Tired of missing OG unless I add at least 2lbs 2row......went well though despite missing OG by 10 points :smack: this was my last 5 gal batch. Going to all 10 gal from here on!

I'm going to do another double 5G brew in a bag batch this weekend... The wife allowed it. I got 6.5 G of 1.090 wart the first time, and I think I'll do it strong again this time, but maybe a different hop schedule. I'll do the same recipe that I did last weekend in the hopes that I can rack to my 15.5G sankey at some point soon. Once I can fill the thing up, it would be pretty sweet to do -5G for serving, +5G new beer for conditioning every month or so.

Just brewed a Belgian Pilsner SMaSH recipe using Triskel Hops. i am on a SMaSH kick and will brew them mostly for the next year to better understand malt and hops. a couple more complex recipes will make a splash here and there, but mostly trying to learn.

Just brewed a Belgian Pilsner SMaSH recipe using Triskel Hops. i am on a SMaSH kick and will brew them mostly for the next year to better understand malt and hops. a couple more complex recipes will make a splash here and there, but mostly trying to learn. here it is: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/maginot-line-ale-10

WP_001339.jpg

WP_001338.jpg

Doing another 5 gallon of the Zombie Dust clone recipe. The first 5 gallons went *FAST*. If I had a bigger pot I would do a 10 gallon batch.

Also planning a Grapefruit Sculpin recipe I found on BrewSmith Cloud.

Doing a 'mostly mashed' partial mash recipe for a saison. Using some light LME and pilsner, Munich and Vienna malt base. Specialy grains will be acidulated, honey and C60 (under .5# each). Northern brewer and cascade hops to taste and style.

Last night I floated 3 kegs, all 3 were low, but still, I was surprised that they all went in the same night. This leaves me only 2 kegs of beer. :(

The great thing about stocking bulk grain, hops and dry yeast is that you can brew on a whim. This afternoon I decided I better get another batch in the pipeline, and an hour later I have doughed in on my variation of Green Flash West Coast IPA (a portion of 2 row substituted with MO + Munich, same hop bill adjusted for IBU).

Brewing a pale ale with three different base malts golden promise, Pilsner, and American 2 row, Delta for the hopping and US05 yeast

5 gallon Saison recipe that was on a Briess advertisement in Brew. i changed a couple of things by accident and purpose. Since i have some Saison yeast saved from a previous brew i'm using that instead. it is the High and Rye Saison recipe on the tear out if you get the mag.

I might fire up the equipment tomorrow. If I do it'll be a Saison since my temp control is down at this time. I'll do a recipe like jazz, I'll improvise around some sort of structure. Most likely a simple grain bill, single hop, and perhaps some coriander.

I helped some friends finish the last two batches of their back to back 4 batch brewday! Two batches of IPA with different hops, a Porter, and an ESB. 40 gallons in fermentors in 12 hours, whew!

I also picked up three sankey kegs. Ebrewing here I come!

Mashing 5 gallons of American Wheat as we speak. First time using my new pH meter and I can't tell if it calibrated properly, so I played with acid additions wore than I wanted. We'll see what happens.

Brewing my take on Asheville Brewing Co's Fire escape. They list their ingredients on their site so I just took the same ingredients and just worked them to how I thought would taste best. 20mins left on the boil.

20 minutes into the 90 minute Pilsner boil. Regret not doing it early this morning, it's hot in this garage.

This coming weekend, I'm brewing a 5 gallon batch of red ale - a rework of a Brewer's Best kit, with different extracts and whole leaf hops.

Brewing an (almost) all-Columbus IPA this weekend.

I'd been tinkering with an IPA recipe for years. This batch, I decided to chuck everything and start from scratch. I have a whole new grain bill, a whole new water profile, new mash temp, a wildly new hop schedule (two-addition hopstand, no boil additions) new yeast, and new bittering/finish hops. Should be interesting.

I wanted to brew yesterday, but didn't... planned on today, but found out last night I don't have enough propane. I could go get some, but by the time I got back it would be too late to start a brew day. Tomorrow, maybe.

Going to brew a helles on Sunday and that yeast will get used for an Oktoberfest. A bit late in the year for Oktoberfest, but no bother.

Back