Single or Double Gauge Co2 Regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-Brew

Reaction score
I have a double-gauge on my home set-up, but am piecing together a 20oz cylinder for bringing cornies to cookouts, camping, etc. I was curious what you guys recommend; is the double worth the extra price?

Part of my dilemma is that from reading other people's postings, it seems as though the double-gauge, even at home, may be superfluous. From what I hear, the cylinder's gauge will continue to read at a high pressure until the CO2 is almost gone. If this last piece of information is accurate, that makes wonder..."why bother then"?

Anyone have experience in knowing just how much CO2 is left once it begins to drop from the 800# mark? (in a 10# cylinder).

Thanks in advance.

I'm probably going to be a minority opinion on this, but I like single gauge. The other gauge just measures internal pressure in your cylinder....not volume of remaining C02. It's also just sticking out there to get broken off when you inevitably knock your C02 tank over.

As far as your question, I'll be unbiased and fair and tell you that pressure and C02 volume are related, so if you keep your C02 tank at a constant temperature from when it was filled to when it's emptied, the pressure gauge will indeed give you an idea of how much gas you have left.

But for a 20oz tank, you're just making it more tippy (technical term alert) IMHO, and you're probably going to be moving it from inside a keezer at times to a hot summer day at a campsite at other times.

I'd vote single for the same reasons as above:

Tip over and break
May not even be accurate due to temp changes

Back