Brew Pressure Fermentation Value Gauge differs from Main CO2 regulator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSMikeD

Reaction score
Is there a reason why my CO2 regulator is reading a lot higher than the gauge of my Fermentation Relief Valve kit as both are connect to the same keg. The relief kit arrived today. At first I thought the gauge was broken since I had the keg at 5psi and the gauge read zero. After checking it was properly connected to the keg, I increase the CO2 to 10 psi and the gauge finally moved to 5psi.

Assuming my regulator is properly calibrated is there a way to recalibrated the relief gauge?

same question for my regulator gauge. How could I confirm it’s accurate.

3FF488C2-7FD5-4CEC-9826-D0735AF9FC55.jpeg

The only way I know to confirm the accuracy of either gauge would be to plug in a known good gauge and compare. The gauges that come with most regulators, pressure kits, etc. are pretty bad. For "critical" parts of my setup, I use Winters PFQ series liquid filled gauges, like this:
71aQx7Pz%2B6L._SL1500_.jpg

They are available in various pressure ranges.

I don't think you can really recalibrate cheap gauges to make them useful, at least not over their full ranges.

Mechanical manometers are pretty much useless in my experience. It only takes some bumping around, of which they'll receive a lot as they're all shipped from some Chinese factory, for them to go completely out of calibration. Unfortunately there is no way to adjust at least the zero point without completely disassembling them.
Personally I was so frustrated with them that I went all electronic gauges on both my fermenter and my keezer and have been happy every since...

I ordered another gauge that arrives some time today. Hopefully it will agree with one of the other gauges (cross my fingers it’s on the regulator of my CO2). If that’s the case, I can swap,out the faulty one (mark it with key psi calibrated points to one of the accurate one as a back up in lieu of throwing it out ) and call it a day for now. I don’t need precise psi - I usually end up adjusting my tapped keg anyway.

I was hoping there would be a calibration screw so I could adjust the dial to correct it.

Back