Show us your DIY stir plate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
may I ask....How it works and for what?

I mean, I know it used for yeast starters, but why my yeast starter need to be stirred? how it helps? how long the yeast starter need to be stirred?

Couldn't find any crap computers yet but tore apart a DVD player and got to thinking any one ever use one of these I just took the DVD drive out cut the wire for the motor and tapped it into my power (will be getting speed control in next
Few days) and it worked and it's metal little topper so the magnet chills right on top here are some shots let me know what ya think

image-3718163261.jpg

image-323605775.jpg

image-3464534587.jpg

Couldn't find any crap computers yet but tore apart a DVD player and got to thinking any one ever use one of these I just took the DVD drive out cut the wire for the motor and tapped it into my power (will be getting speed control in next
Few days) and it worked and it's metal little topper so the magnet chills right on top here are some shots let me know what ya think

Great idea! Let us know how it turns out.

Ok I got this dimmer switch and a plug from an old DVD player with this fan how do I go about wiring this baby up to get to stirring

image-1863498172.jpg

image-1834981902.jpg

Ok I got this dimmer switch and a plug from an old DVD player with this fan how do I go about wiring this baby up to get to stirring

In essence, you will be "breaking" the hot wire.
1. Attach the neutral directly to one of the two leads on the motor (If the wires are color coded it will be white, if not try to follow the wires to the plug prongs. The neutral will be the larger of the two if your plug does not have a round ground prong)

2. Attach the black wire on cord (or "other" black wire) to one black wire of your dimmer. Attach remain black wire on dimmer to remaining fan wire

3. If your cord has a round ground prong, then there should be a third wire in the cord that will be green or bare copper. This would attach to the green wire of the dimmer. If you have a two wire cord, simply cap/tape off the green dimmer wire.

Thanks a lot wiring was a breeze, exactly how you said to do it and she is working like a champ not to build my enclosure and get a stir bar this weekend prolly with some DME and yeast nutrient time to harvest some heady yeast going to try and see if the Conan in my cans from awhile ago will pull thru if not there new breed of yeast there using will be up in line

image-728545212.jpg

image-2273522703.jpg

The parts I was running while making the stir plate lol. They are the first side runnings of float cam switches for an elevator company

do your homework - my first flask did NOT take heat/cool well, like the good stuff should - it cracked and I lost all my starter in the ice-water cooling bath. My current flask is VWR (cat # 89000-370) and it does fine.

Also keep in mind the batch size and appropriate starter size to suit. For 10G batches, a 2L flask is not big enough. I made that mistake already. I am looking to upgrade to a 4L or 5L soon.

jeuentes said:
That's true for a 10 gallon. Just get 2, 2L flasks. Then you'll be golden.

I tried using a 1 gallon jug but wasn't fond of having the use a pot to make the wort and then transfer after cooling. My intention is to use just 1 vessel. And, not all of us have 2 stir plates so I think I am sold on a larger Erlenmeyer.

I finally finished mine up, it will hold 2x 2L flasks. I will update with a pic later with both of them on there.

Here is the outside shot

2013-10-11 13.54.16 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

And the interior

2013-10-11 13.55.31 by HDIr0n, on Flickr

I was going to do a usb panel mount for powering the two fans but that was going to double the cost of the build so I just drilled 2 holes in the back to pass the usb cable through.

-G

Finally got my videos uploaded, now I still don't have a real stir bar just sorta made one with a alum piece I was making at work with an earth magnet inside of it.

New alum stir bar lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Did the dimmer switch not work for the DVD motor? I have an idea and I'm hoping to find Potentiometer that is going to work for mine...

You know what I didn't even try it I might have to hook the other one up to the dimmer and see what it does. I think I might go for a different switch the dimmer if turned in the wrong spot sorta does a stutter

I went on my gut and picked one up from radio shack yesterday. It works just fine. I have to get everything together today now. I don't have a stir bar yet but i do have another magnet. How did you go about making that "tester" stir bar?

The one that worked was two pieces of alum I machined at work on the Cnc and I was looking at it and was like hell I got a huge stir bar here, but to test it put a piece of metal rod to one side of the magnet drop in and turn on let me see If that vid finally uploaded and I will post it if it did

Edit: found it
http://youtu.be/29iq-juAqng

So, here's my stirrer (I hesitate to call it a "plate") operating during its first starter...

[ame]http://youtu.be/rxZfyBMsRJ8[/ame]

and during the initial test with water...
[ame]http://youtu.be/2jUgP1it39s[/ame]

The support structure is built with an old test tube rack which I didn't use at all. I cut out the center portion to fit the fan, but left the bottom, which is now the top of the stirrer. The fan and speed control are a Rosewill RFX-80from newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200020), 1/2 x 1/4 magnets from totalElement via amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KUURP2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20) and 1 x 5/16 stir bar from SEOH via amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ACM05U/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). The switch is an automotive switch that Radio Shack had on clearance for $1. The power supply is an old phone charger which supplies 7.5 volts. I hacksawed a 1" threaded PVC coupler in half for a spacer and used JB-Weld WaterWeld to secure everything.

This combination seems perfect to me. Using water, I can turn the speed all the way up without throwing the bar (I ran it that way for 30 minutes... Maybe it would eventually throw at that speed, but I kind of doubt it.) I was able to throw the bar running at really slow speed (as seen in the test video,) but that's not something I'll be doing ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
The middle knob is modified to control my speed and the other two are old sound powered phone jacks from a military ship. Wanted to keep it nostalgic and usefull.

Made from the parts of my first attempt at a stir plate with a pastic project box. It sucked and wouldn't work with my 5L flask. I went from a 5v power source to a 12v source and a fancy new box. Both of these bad boys were found at the thrift store for $1 each.

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715_1024.jpg

interesting thread:rockin:

I have bought everything necessary using the OPs shopping list. Having looked around the house I found several boxes I could use and some people here have recommended the 100 ohm rheostat, instead of the 25 ohm one.

Now I am thinking that I could return the project box and exchange the rheostat for more ohms. Also I could not take off the magnet from a hard drive (it has really small torax screws) so I bought ceramic rectangle ones from RS. They look like they will work well. I found a 12 volt/1.5 amp power supply that I also use for my chinese pump.

Now for the questions. Will the PS work for a fan that is rated at 0.14 amps? Also I could not find a 4 in fan, but I have several 3 inch fans available to me. Will a 3 inch fan work as well as a 4 inch fan?

Any advise or suggestions welcome.

I have bought everything necessary using the OPs shopping list. Having looked around the house I found several boxes I could use and some people here have recommended the 100 ohm rheostat, instead of the 25 ohm one.

both should work, the 100 ohm one will just allow you to slow the speed down more

Also I could not take off the magnet from a hard drive (it has really small torax screws) so I bought ceramic rectangle ones from RS. They look like they will work well.

i dont think the ceramic magnets will be powerful enough. i once used a hammer and flathead screwdriver (tapping gently) to get the magnets out of a harddrive after taking the torx out with a really small flathead. might give that a shot.

I found a 12 volt/1.5 amp power supply that I also use for my chinese pump. Now for the questions. Will the PS work for a fan that is rated at 0.14 amps? Also I could not find a 4 in fan, but I have several 3 inch fans available to me. Will a 3 inch fan work as well as a 4 inch fan?

the PS will be fine (you want more current than required, but not excess voltage) and the fans should be fine too

Here is mine, I built a double thinking that I may never need more than one but did not want to have to build another later or rebuild this one.

Got the PWM from amazon for ~$4, the fans from newegg for ~$2 each, the wood was like $5 and the plastic top was about $8. Can't remember how much the hardware was and the switches/magnets/wires are from ye ol' crap box. The PS was from an old router and I unsoldered the plug from the router circuit board so I did not have to keep the PS attached. I'm thinking of adding a parts box to the underside between the fans to store my stirbars.

with flasks.jpg

the guts.jpg

Latest posts

Back