Show us your DIY stir plate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Stir Plate. It went from Ghetto to Ghetto Fabulous.

Stir Plate 002.jpg

7_23_2013_DoubleStriplate 006.jpg

Well.. I took an old practice amp and did a stir plate conversion. It worked beautifully. All the knobs already there and an on off switch. Plus a flask sits perfectly on it! There was a hole where the speaker was and the fan mounted great there. Easy and free!!

ForumRunner_20130724_120036.png

ForumRunner_20130724_120310.png

ForumRunner_20130724_120404.png

ForumRunner_20130724_120523.png

The box is an old silverware case from 1925 (old newspaper found in the interior lining) found at a thrift store for 5$.
Hops were done by making a stencil from a image online.
Will most likely instal two more stir plates on this thing as I tend to make large quantities of liquid.

9606106498_9f4d858606.jpg
[/url] IMAG0095 by elpenoso, on Flickr[/IMG]

I put mine in an old Bakelite box that I found in my tool crypt. I'm sure it is from an old storage unit that I cleaned out a few years ago that was full of old electrical bits, some used some new in boxes so old that they disintegrate on touch. The knob and plate on the rheostat likely came from the same haul.

StirPlate1.jpg

I made it through about half of the pages in this thread and all of these are awesome/ functional.

Question: I have a dead old laptop hanging around, can the fan and HD be used from it, or will it be too small? Thanks.

I just took a old computer fan, coffee can, wood, magnets of the fridge, and cell phone charger.

I dont get a full tornado effect but i do get a good swirl and attempts to tornado. My flask fits perfect. I might lower it for safety sake.

IMAG0244.jpg

995989_533715446683693_965890628_n.jpg

I put this together "until I get a chance to do it right" about a year and a half ago. I'm doubting I will ever get around to the next iteration.

4 scraps of wood, random piece of plexiglass, old pc fan with 5/8" ID washer duct taped to it, magnets stuck to washer, two clamps and some electronic bits from my big box of parts for other projects that may never get finished either. Has yet to fly apart or self destruct!

image-2420394577.jpg

Here's mine. 12v power supply and a home made stir bar made from a small magnet, that I had in my toolbox at work, with 2 ss dowel pins added on both sides of the magnet. Wrapped the whole thing in heat shrink tubing and it works great! Still waiting on the flask though. Nice vortex and a bunch of tiny bubbles fill the jar! Posted the pics with the app, which kept telling me it had crashed, so sorry for the multiple pics.

ForumRunner_20130917_123043.jpg

ForumRunner_20130917_123907.jpg

ForumRunner_20130917_123935.jpg

ForumRunner_20130917_124812.jpg

Hope this worked. Keep getting an error about the app crashing when I upload. But anyway, I should add that I haven't tried this yet with an actual starter. Just tested in the dyed water which the bar was spinning in for over 4 hours before shutting it off to take the pic. Also the magnet was from one of those telescoping tools used to pick up screws and such which have been dropped in tight places. Amazed it works so well! The Mason jar has a pretty good curve on the bottom so I'm not sure what results I'll get with a flask. It measures 1 1/2 inches long and its kinda beefy....about as round as a number 2 pencil, perhaps slightly smaller and as you can see, bulges in the middle where the magnet is.

ForumRunner_20130917_142619.jpg

Yes...I cut the tubing a bit short. If I try again, I'll definitely leave the tubing longer ....so that it completely encloses everything. . It was kinda neat though watching it shrink around the pins & magnet. Honestly didn't think it would work after I did it. Lol. The pins are stainless though and I don't think anything could get in there. It's all very tight. May be something to experiment with....but the bars aren't expensive anyway and I only made it because I was getting impatient waiting for a "real" one.

Well, I totally forgot that I had a cigar box laying around (think I paid $3 for it years ago) and I saw some others use a cigar box so I figured why not? I bought a Thermaltake 120mm fan with speed control ($18 on Amazon) and found a 2 port USB power adapter at the store on clearance for $3. As you can see in the first picture, I had completed a working unit, but I figured that I had time so why not make it custom. So I sanded, stained, and sealed it over the last few days. The screws are countersunk so it won't scratch a countertop and the speed knob is also countersunk because it had to be (the wood was too thick to make with a simple drill through). The countersinking by hand was difficult but not impossible. It works! My erlenmeyer is on the way, should be here early next week.

image-1539358665.jpg

image-2022788656.jpg

image-2246175504.jpg

image-1560409278.jpg

image-3678247027.jpg

I really like the cigar box style. Could someone build one and ship it to me? Pm me with price.

Hi there.

This is my first post, so it better be a good one :) Here the stir plate I made. I took care of the electronics, my wife took care of the cosmetic details. I like it, it is very functional, fits a 2L flask perfectly and looks good.

Fan rotation speed is controlled through a spare Arduino nano I had left from a previous project, pretty simple, read potentiometer, get PWM value from look-up table and apply to PWM output. Power supply is 2A @ 12V, a mosfet takes care of the last stage before the FAN.

The most fun was drinking my favorites beers so I can the stickers !

image.jpeg

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

image (4).jpeg

Hi there.

This is my first post, so it better be a good one :) Here the stir plate I made. I took care of the electronics, my wife took care of the cosmetic details. I like it, it is very functional, fits a 2L flask perfectly and looks good.

Fan rotation speed is controlled through a spare Arduino nano I had left from a previous project, pretty simple, read potentiometer, get PWM value from look-up table and apply to PWM output. Power supply is 2A @ 12V, a mosfet takes care of the last stage before the FAN.

The most fun was drinking my favorites beers so I can the stickers !

What kind of box is that? Really unusual shape!

12v 3-speed fan wired to a cellphone charger, agitates nice and quietly. I just superglued the magnets to the fan hub and added cabinet bumper pads above and below for appropriate clearance. Using a 1 x 3/8 stir bar.

~Eric

Angrymonk, i really like what you did with that box, care to create a diy thread on how you did that?

I may, I should have some time in the next two weeks. I have a few other DIY project I worked on (fermentation chamber, RIMS tube, stir plate). Maybe it is time to start sharing :)

here's my cheap stirplate:

parts list:
fan from a cpu cooler from an old scrap early 2000s PC (I picked it up off the curb)
magnets from the dead harddrive from the same PC
frozen food container as a housing (I forget the brand - was one of those frozen pasta dinners, I sometimes take them to work for lunch)
old cellphone charger, from my box of wall-warts. (4v, I tried a couple others I had (7v & 5v), they threw the magnet, the 4v one was the winner)
lids from old containers to stick fan to, and to raise it up slightly.

all held together with hot-glue, fan glued into the container, and magnets glued to fan.

only thing I bought was the stir bar itself, and while not part of stirplate per se, I use a dollar store pasta jar as my "flask" - it has thick glass walls, and a somewhat thinner, but relatively flat glass bottom.

finally, not related to the stirplate, but in the first picture to the left, another good dollar store find (dollarama here in Canada) - small glass jars sold as (awful) salt shakers. (3/$1). They were just what I needed to try freezing yeast. I'll know in a few months if that was a success when I try thawing it and making a starter from it.

IMG-20130909-00079.jpg

IMG-20130922-00082.jpg

IMG-20130922-00081.jpg

Will this fan work? I got the magnet coming tomorrow. I got two of these fans for free from my boss so figured I would check and see if they will work.

image-3690404202.jpg

image-2761351426.jpg

1fast636 said:
Will this fan work? I got the magnet coming tomorrow. I got two of these fans for free from my boss so figured I would check and see if they will work.

You may want to put a short wooden dowel in the center to raise the magnets up towards the top of the enclosure that you are putting it in.

Those type of fans use a shaded pole motor which you can control with a light dimmer from your favorite building supply store.

Looks like aluminum blades...If the blades get in the way, you could snip them off with some avaiation scissors, or maybe just flatten them out. Need to be careful that you dont throw the balance off too much though.

Back