Short Style 7.3 gallon conical fermenter review from Stout tanks and Kettles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnslater

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A number of folks here have Stout's normal fermenter. Price on that one is hard to beat but I didn't like the lid clamp design so I thought I would spend a little more for the short style fermenter they sell for a little more money. This version has the same capacity but in a shorter, wider design. The legs are welded on this version to make it more stable. Has a more secure banjo clamp and overall seems better designed - at least aesthetically. Outside finish is almost mirror like. Welds on the inside look great, this was my main reservation about these Chinese fermenters. Customer service was good as well. I designed and built a fermentation and bottling cart to go with it. The whole will allow me to wash it out inside and drain it into a bucket below.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392338895.780498.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392338911.504188.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392338928.745104.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392338946.146312.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392338961.538057.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1392338975.959852.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Do you happen to know offhand how tall it is with the legs on? I see the dimensions for it on their site, but it looks like that is just the dimension for the conical itself.

How are you temperature controlling it?

I am not. My basement stays a steady 64 degrees or so. Slightly warmer in the summer and slightly cooler in the winter.

Also, an update. Had just filled it with 5 gallons of brown ale wort on Saturday and was transferring it to another room when the wheels caught on a rug. Tipped the cart a little and the top heavy full fermenter tumbled off the cart and onto the concrete floor landing on it's side. Bent one of the legs in about 1", but the clamp held tight and nothing came out, other than a few drops from the blowoff tube. Great clamp design. Guessing you could pressurize this if you addressed the blowoff hole. SS is pretty thick, I was unable to bend the leg back.

Had just filled it with 5 gallons of brown ale wort on Saturday and was transferring it to another room when the wheels caught on a rug. Tipped the cart a little and the top heavy full fermenter tumbled off the cart and onto the concrete floor landing on it's side. Bent one of the legs in about 1", but the clamp held tight and nothing came out, other than a few drops from the blowoff tube. Great clamp design. Guessing you could pressurize this if you addressed the blowoff hole. SS is pretty thick, I was unable to bend the leg back.

Damn the luck; I'd still be swearing.

Yikes! I would have bolted/screwed it to that table top. Does it come with a rotating racking arm?

Glad that spill didn't lose and brew or make a mess.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking at the 14.5g version of this one.

Back