Shocking yeast with glycol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly_goat

Hop Head
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm currently designing a multi vessel fermentation setup. I don't have the space for a chamber. I'm very space limited but have technical expertise so have decided to go DIY glycol chiller route. Glycol bath and AC on balcony, fermentation chambers just inside wall.

I'm wondering if it's viable to actually run the glycol at 0c or if that's gonna shock the yeast every time it circulates. I'm going to be running 3-4 7gal vessels with internal stainless coils. Ideally I want to be running ales and lagers simultaneously and be able to cold crash to 1c and do gelatin before it goes into the keg.

It won't hurt the yeast. The wort will be churning and homogenizing with the thermal energy produced by the fermentation. The amount of wort actually contacting the coil at any given moment will be relatively small. Production breweries usually run their glycol around -2*C

Sounds like a great setup! Post some pics as you go, I'd like to follow along as this sounds just like the system I've been dreaming about.

Sounds like a great setup! Post some pics as you go, I'd like to follow along as this sounds just like the system I've been dreaming about.

Here was the first attempt. Free air-conditioner from a buddy, but unfortunately it was rusted where the refrigerant enters the cooling side rad. It ruptured while reshaping it. Wiring was super easy though. Just connected the fan and compressor to a solid state relay and bypassed all the internal controls. Picking up a 50$ Craigslist special this Friday.

IMG_20180415_102641.jpg IMG_20180415_114519.jpg IMG_20180415_181457.jpg
IMG_20180414_152901.jpg

There's my first cone, then a bucket being sousvided to 19c and one running on brewpi.

Was gonna aim for 10% glycol 90% water. Will tap water work or should I use distilled water? Is there anything cheaper than the 30$ a gallon polypropylene on Amazon?

Back