CoolStix. Is it worth it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been toying with the idea of adding a CoolStix chiller to the list of attachments to a 7.6 gallon kegmenter and would like to know how satisfied any users are with its overall ability to do the job. I use the kegmenter mostly to serve as a brite tank and pressure spunding vessel for a 7 gallon Chronical. The Chronical has heating and cooling for initial fermentation but is only rated to ~2.0 psig, which is enough to perform a closed transfer though not enough to spund or Krausen a conditioning beer. The kegmenter is good up to about 2 ½ BAR, but doesn't have cooling capacity for cold crashing. My primary objective will be to ferment (temperature controlled) in the Chronical to about 5 points of Final Gravity, then do a closed transfer to a purged kegmenter for spunding, crashing, conditioning and/or lagering.

I have a 4" TC port on the kegmenter that has two ¼" FNPT ports for gas/beer ports plus a 1.5" TC port that would accommodate a CoolStix X1 chiller. I have an unused port on my glycol chiller, so capacity is no problem. I can run my Chronical and Unitank along with the CoolStix simultaneously to keep the pipeline going, assuming that the efficiency of the CoolStix doesn't drain efficiency from the overall glycol chilling capacity. Mostly what I'm looking for is cold crashing capacity for a 7 gallon batch.

Don’t have that exact thing but do have the temperature control loop from www.ballandkeg.com and it works great on my fermenter with 6 gallons. Able to do low 50’s f with ice water no problem. Based on the Coolstix design I would say the Ballandkeg unit has more surface area and may be more efficient. If I had to guess, both should work.

Don’t have that exact thing but do have the temperature control loop from www.ballandkeg.com and it works great on my fermenter with 6 gallons. Able to do low 50’s f with ice water no problem. Based on the Coolstix design I would say the Ballandkeg unit has more surface area and may be more efficient. If I had to guess, both should work.
I had totally forgotten about the Ball and Keg temperature loop. I've got one of their top drawing dip tube (think it's better than the other ones out there) as well as a couple keg level devices. They make some ingenious stuff.

The only hang-up for me is the need to pressurize the fermentation vessel, so I'll need a TC fitting instead of a drilled stopper. If not for the pressure requirement for spunding, I'd be all over that B&K device.

The CoolStix looks like it'll get the job done, but everywhere I look they're on back order. MoreBeer has the best price, but they want payment upfront with no guarantee on when they'll ship. Been that way for months. BrewBuilt seems to be behind the supply chain with just about all their gear.

Yeah, didn’t think about the spunding pressure not working with a stopper. They do make some ingenious stuff. Like you I have a few of their products.

Back