Shipping Beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtymike1

Reaction score
I did a search and that didn't yield any answers to my question. I want to ship out a few bottle of brew as belated X-mas gifts to some friends and family. I was wondering if you can do this and how legal it is. Also, how do you wrap it to ship? I figured just using bubble wrap and telling the shipping company that its a books of books or something.

Thanks in advance.:drunk:

Some people ship with UPS or Fedex and tell them it is yeast samples in solution. You don't want to ship with USPS since it is a crime to ship alcohol by them. With UPS and Fedex it is just against their rules.

I did a search and that didn't yield any answers to my question. I want to ship out a few bottle of brew as belated X-mas gifts to some friends and family. I was wondering if you can do this and how legal it is. Also, how do you wrap it to ship? I figured just using bubble wrap and telling the shipping company that its a books of books or something.

Thanks in advance.:drunk:

Try searching again and using "competition" as a search term since most discussions are about shipping for competition.

In a nutshell:

1. Shipping beer via USPS is always illegal.
2. Shipping beer via UPS, FedEx etc is not illegal but they would rather not do it.
3. When you declare the contents, you can probably say something that is not technically a lie. Examples: "water samples", "glassware", "yeast samples".
4. Individually bubble wrap and then tape all of the bottles together to minimize shifting. Then use packing material to fill the rest of the box up tight, again to minimize shifting.

Oh I should also mention for shipping I usually wrap each bottle in bubble wrap, then put them in gallon zip lock bags (two to a bag) in case there is any breakage, then fill the rest of the box with bubble wrap or packing material as mentioned.

I had a package delayed one time (coming to me) because a bottle broke, they did deliver it though, was a bit soggy.

You should also check local laws.

I believe it is illegal to ship alcohol out of/into certain states
regardless of carrier.

Sweet thanks!

One box will be going to PA, the other to TN. I loled at the "yeast sample" one, and I will definatly tell them that.

Thanks again!

There is a nice sticky by talleymonster in the the DIY section.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/tutorial-shipping-beer-93042/

I pack them in cheap toilet paper rolls..seems to work well also.

BeerShip2.jpg

Back