Share Your Rice Wine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jak1010

Reaction score
With the many posts about rice wine and questions, some of the actual recipes have become hard to find.

Please use this thread to post the "specifics" about how you make your favorite variation(s) of it. Keep it specific and post questions in a new thread.

LG, how does this look? I know you have a few recipes to post!

RICE WINE
Recipe Type: Thai Jasmine
Dry Quantity: 5 cups
Soak the rice? (if yes, how long?): N
Cooking Water: 5 1/2 cups
Cooking Method: Boiled
Yeast: Yeast Balls
Yeast Quantity: 2 Balls (crushed)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days 68-71
Additional Ingredients (Volume): RYR 1/2 cup
Tasting Notes: Sweet wine with a strong alcohol burn. Fruity finish and fruity smell.

Method:

RICE WINE
Recipe Type: Thai Jasmine
Dry Quantity: 5 cups
Soak the rice? (if yes, how long?): No, I just rinse till clean
Cooking Water: 5 1/2 cups
Cooking Method: Boiled
Yeast: Angel Rice Leaven
Yeast Quantity: 1/2 of an 8 gram package
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 21 days 68-71
Additional Ingredients (Volume): none

I rinse the rice until it's clear. I cook the rice until done and cool.
Once it's cool, I layer the rice and ARL into a clean and sterilized glass jar (see picture below)
Once assembled, I cover the top with a layer of cheesecloth and screw on the lid.
I then find a dark place (or cover with a towel) and keep it stashed for 21 days.

The final result is liquid on the bottom and a giant blob of rice that turns to mush. I use a strainer bag to harvest the wine into a sterilized container. I also squeeze the bag to get as much wine as I can. Because of this the wine is cloudy and thicker (but not slimy) and I prefer it that way.

Tasting Notes: Sweet wine with a strong alcohol burn that has a strong resemblance to sake. It has a white/cream color to it and smells a bit fruity.

I enjoy it cold, room temp and sometimes warmed up. Amazing that you can get alcohol from rice but be careful...this is some potent stuff.

The hardware...

ForumRunner_20131103_230820.jpg

ForumRunner_20131103_230838.jpg

And if you are having a hard time falling asleep, 12oz of this stuff will have you wondering if you can make it to the bed in time.

Latest posts

Back