Share us your DUMBEST brewing experience...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my first partial mash, I had no idea what I was doing. I took uncrushed grain, and steeped it in my full boil volume of water at about 170 degrees for about an hour. I probably got like 5% efficiency from it and not a lot of flavor. I also added way too many bittering hops in this recipe, unaware that IPAs needed more hops on the high end.

I ended up with an IPA of about 4.5% ABV, wayyyyy too much bitterness, and some weird off flavors. The thing is, it was still drinkable. I let people sample it as a means of showing what could go wrong in brewing.

As I was building my mash tun, i thought I needed something stiffer to support the braid to keep it from collapsing. I cut some slits into a 1" section of vinyl tubing and put that into the braid. Pour grain and 155 degree water on vinyl and it gets really soft. As I go to sparge, all flow stops. The tube inside had collapsed completely shut so I had no way to drain my mash. Ended up mashing way too long. I had to take the valve completely off and drained very fast through several hop socks. I lost about 2.5 gallons of wort to sediment and grain. I boiled and fermented anyway. Turned out to be a dry, but Very Good amber. even though it was only 2 gallons. Needless to say I went and bought a false bottom the next day

Also, on my first batch, I was reading a recipe off of HBT on my phone and dropped my brand new galaxy phone into the boiling wort. I now write all the recipes down.

While bottling, after filling and capping about 20 bottles, I looked up on the counter to see the beaker with priming sugar solution sitting there. I uncapped all 20 bottles, very carefully poured each back into the bottling bucket, added the sugar and started over.

It only cost me 20 caps and a little of my time, so guess I got off easy.

I found a sweet vintage bench capper in my grandpa's basement. I thought it would work perfect. Didn't check the rubber gaskets. A bottle exploded in my hand because the rubber was rock hard in the capper. After I wrapped my bloody hand in an ace bandage, I had to switch back to my red Barron capper and cap the 43 other beers. Then I went to the ER. Then I switched to kegging.

Roed Haus Brewery

I was brewing two batches at once to try to cut down a brew day to save some time because I had plans that afternoon. So as I came towards the end of my first boil I turned on the burner beside the first boil pot on my electric stove to get warm for my 2nd batch of steeping grains. About 30 seconds or so later I have a major boil over on my first batch so my immediate reaction was to grab it and put it on the burner beside it.... I turned around to grab a towel for clean up and BAM!!! It was boiling over again causing a river of wort to now be running off/in the stove top... Big dummy...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After I wrapped my bloody hand in an ace bandage, I had to switch back to my red Barron capper and cap the 43 other beers. Then I went to the ER. Then I switched to kegging.

Roed Haus Brewery

Priorities lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back