Secondary Fermenter with a Bluberry Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sterno74

Reaction score
So last summer I whipped up a Strawberry Weiss beer that was pretty good and I'm trying Blueberry this year. What I'm wondering though is if I can save myself some trouble and skip using a secondary fermenter in the process.

The first time I did this, I racked the beer to secondary, but my other carboy is only 5 gallons. So when I then added a bunch of strawberries it was a big foamy mess. Beer turned out fine in the end, but I'm wondering if I can avoid the mess/hassle of it.

So my thinking was to let the initial fermentation run for about a week. Then once it's settled down, add the blueberries to the primary. Leave it on the fruit for 2-3 weeks, then keg it.

My impression from searching for info on this was that the only reason you truly need a secondary vessel is if you need to leave the beer to age for an extended period of time. Most of what I read suggests that most of the fruit flavor will be extracted in a few weeks, so I wouldn't think that's a problem.

I've been debating doing the same thing. I've done fruit in a secondary before which turns out well. But I think I'm going to try doing a beer or cider in the future with the fruit directly in the primary to see how it turns out. I'm not sure if there are any caveats to doing so.

So in conclusion this approach worked just fine. The beer isn't super blueberry flavored, but it's solidly tart and crisp. No evidence to suggest that keeping it in primary was a problem.

So I let it sit for two weeks in primary before adding blueberries, then let it sit another two weeks once I added the berries. From there I kegged it and after another two weeks or so of aging it's quite tasty.

Back