Second fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aracer

Reaction score
What is a second fermentation? Add sugar to the fermented batch and let it for more days or add the sugar solution to the batch, fill the bottles and leave them for a few weeks?
I’m trying to do a lager btw
Thanks

Using a secondary container to let the beer clear up and so that it's not sitting on the trub (yeast and such at the bottom of the primary fermenter) and for aging purposes. In this context, no additional sugar is added. It doesn't really ferment more in the secondary though it may finish fermenting depending on when you transfer the beer to it. That it is called "secondary fermentation" can be a little misleading.
Once the beer is finished fermenting, using time and a hydrometer as your guide, you do bottle with priming sugar. This is a sort of controlled, mini-fermentation whose intent is to carbonate the beer in the bottle.
Secondary fermentation is unnecessary in almost all instances.

Using a secondary container to let the beer clear up and so that it's not sitting on the trub (yeast and such at the bottom of the primary fermenter) and for aging purposes. In this context, no additional sugar is added. It doesn't really ferment more in the secondary though it may finish fermenting depending on when you transfer the beer to it. That it is called "secondary fermentation" can be a little misleading.
Once the beer is finished fermenting, using time and a hydrometer as your guide, you do bottle with priming sugar. This is a sort of controlled, mini-fermentation whose intent is to carbonate the beer in the bottle.
Secondary fermentation is unnecessary in almost all instances.

Thanks a lot. I was confused by “second fermentation”. Thank you for clarifying

Technically, a second fermentation and a secondary fermentation are different. Using a secondary is still the primary fermentation, but I think you got the right answer for your intentions.

I'm assuming you are brewing beer. Secondary is "optional" in most cases and the risks generally outweigh the benefits. With beer I might secondary under the following conditions:

I need my primary fermenter.

I need my other primary fermenter.

Adding fruit or subtle flavors where I was concerned with an active primary restarting. (though I usually don't secondary when adding fruit).

I always secondary if long-term aging/souring (though I have yet to do this).

Non-beer:
Simple ciders - no secondary
Mead/cyser/wines/complex ciders, usually, but lots of buts and if-then, what-ifs.

Latest posts

Back