Scottish wee needs some critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
think of making this recipe.

1lb pale
1lb Amber
6.7oz whiskey malt

Mashed for a hour at 151 with 1.8 gallon water.

This worth will be boiled into 2quarts

Meanwhile I will mash
5lb pale
for a hour at 149. Ending up with 2 gallons, this will go to hop boiling,

0.3oz EGK in 60 min, 0.3oz EGK in 30 min and 0.3oz EGK for 5 min

After end hop boil I expect to have 2 gallon of worth and will add the strong worth.

Will ferment it as low as possible with one or two packets of mauribrew English ale 514

Should end up with following "stats"
OG: 1082
EBC: 26
IBU: 22
FG: 1020
%: 8.1

Hope it makes sense, it kind a late (1.28 am local time)

Last edited:
I don't know. Why do 2 separate parts? It sound more complicated than it needs to be.

Why use an English Lager yeast to make a Scottish Ale?

It was my understanding that Scottish ale are made with decoctition mashing and when my cooler are small (only two gallons) I found it easier to just make two full mashes and boil the first down meanwhile the second gets mashed and hop boiled.

The yeast is because I got 7 of this 514 for free because they are short of best before. I'm aware of its not the quite right yeast for the style, but more like and Scottish newcomer ale

And just saw I had made a mistake, the 514 is not a lager but an ale, don't know why I wrote lager, maybe just was too tired.

First impression, that seems like lot of Amber malt. I would cut back on the Amber some and add some Crystal malt.

Back