South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed a black donut IPA this Monday. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

IMG_2105.jpg

I was gonna say that is a Krispy Kreme, not a Dunkin' Donut.

On a related topic, I saw a brewer in CLT put two chocolate cakes (store bought chocolate Bundt variety) in the boil for a 5.5 gallon stout. I didn't try it since it was just being brewed that day, but folks said previous batches he had made with the recipe were actually pretty tasty. Not sure about that, but its their story, not mine.

Maybe he heard of Westbrook's Mexican Cake stout and took the meaning literally.

I was gonna say that is a Krispy Kreme, not a Dunkin' Donut.

On a related topic, I saw a brewer in CLT put two chocolate cakes (store bought chocolate Bundt variety) in the boil for a 5.5 gallon stout. I didn't try it since it was just being brewed that day, but folks said previous batches he had made with the recipe were actually pretty tasty. Not sure about that, but its their story, not mine.

Maybe he heard of Westbrook's Mexican Cake stout and took the meaning literally.

That's nuts. I would be too worried about the oils in the cake absolutely destroying my head retention.

I have a question for those of you that are all-grain brewers. The water analysis that the city of Columbia provides doesn't directly address the main issue of alkalinity. Do you use RO water with appropriate modifications or do you filter Columbia water. If you use filtered Columbia water, what if any modifications are you making?

I filter Columbia water (carbon filter) but do not otherwise modify it. My mash pH is typically between 5.25 and 5.45 for Pale Ales and IPAs resulting is very good mash efficiency. I plan on brewing a stout soon and I'm curious as to other people's experience with our water in that regard.

I have a question for those of you that are all-grain brewers. The water analysis that the city of Columbia provides doesn't directly address the main issue of alkalinity. Do you use RO water with appropriate modifications or do you filter Columbia water. If you use filtered Columbia water, what if any modifications are you making?

I filter Columbia water (carbon filter) but do not otherwise modify it. My mash pH is typically between 5.25 and 5.45 for Pale Ales and IPAs resulting is very good mash efficiency. I plan on brewing a stout soon and I'm curious as to other people's experience with our water in that regard.
Are you on the city system in Columbia? If so, feel free to use this. I had gotten a few reports from the city engineer that I was not confident in so I sent my water off to Ward for analysis. These are the results (as of November 2016)...

Ward Report Nov 2016.jpg

Are you on the city system in Columbia? If so, feel free to use this. I had gotten a few reports from the city engineer that I was not confident in so I sent my water off to Ward for analysis. These are the results (as of November 2016)...

Fantastic! Yes, I am on the city system in Columbia.
Thanks TravelingLight.

Yes, the Krispy Kreme was intentional. I like to break from tradition to see what I get on the other side of my fermenter. I used a 2liter starter of WLP 090 and it's hard at work still fermenting strong. I plan to dry hop with Summit hops.

Yes, the Krispy Kreme was intentional. I like to break from tradition to see what I get on the other side of my fermenter. I used a 2liter starter of WLP 090 and it's hard at work still fermenting strong. I plan to dry hop with Summit hops.

I knew I liked you for a reason. So just one doughnut tossed in the boil or were there multiple? I'll be by in a week or two for a taste, cool? Cool.

Come on by, just one for effect. So grain bill was 25# 2row, 1# black coffee malt, 1 Krispy Kreme, 40oz honey after flameout.

So I got .5 oz chinook from 2 plants and .7 oz cascade from one plant. That's dry weight and should be getting more at the end of summer. I can use the chinook for bittering and cascade can be for flavoring. Then I plan to wet hop at flameout with anything else I get and I should be getting some centennial also

So I delivered a pico brew to a guy yesterday and we chatted for a bit. That was cool and maybe he will join us on here

Hi ya'll! Just stopping in and waving a quick hello from Scumter! Where are ya'll located (if you don't mind me asking)? I posted a hello to the whole forum on the intro page, but since I was sent a request to join you guys in here, I thought I would stop in real quick.

~Alli

Hi ya'll! Just stopping in and waving a quick hello from Scumter! Where are ya'll located (if you don't mind me asking)? I posted a hello to the whole forum on the intro page, but since I was sent a request to join you guys in here, I thought I would stop in real quick.

~Alli

Welcome! Y'all still got the Corn Dog 7 at the Jasmine Mall in Sumpter??

ETA: I'm in downtown Columbia.

No corn dog stand in the mall here. Hardly anything worth mentioning there anymore. :( I have only lived here about 6 years now.. I'm originally from Alaska by way of Florida.

~Alli

How fortuitous! I am in Sumter currently, just getting off of work. Getting a late lunch at the Yucatan mexican place across from Golden Corral. I live near Camden though. Getting ready to head to the lhbs to get ingredients for a saison to brew Sunday.

Glad to have you on the board!

LOL We spend many a weekend at Wateree. If I could buy lakeside property I would be in seventh heaven!!!

How fortuitous! I am in Sumter currently, just getting off of work. Getting a late lunch at the Yucatan mexican place across from Golden Corral. I live near Camden though. Getting ready to head to the lhbs to get ingredients for a saison to brew Sunday.

Glad to have you on the board!

You going to see Kevin? Good luck on the Saison...nice beer!

I got a couple of packs of dry Belle Saison I'll bring you if we coordinate at DIY next tasting.

~Alli

Darlington

Great group of brewers here....LOL, not including myself

Black Donut IPA is turning out nice! One is a hopped out black IPA with mellow honey notes. The other is a nut brown ale on the hoppy side. This was a 10 gallon batch fermented in a keg at 67F and the split into two corneys with one being dry hopped and the other untouched.

What brew stores do ya'll use? As far as I know there is only one in the area (Bet-Mar in Columbia). I would be interested in visiting others if there are any, not that there is anything wrong with Bet-Mar, they are incredibly helpful and super kind about answering any and all of my questions. Just love visiting them and seeing what they have to offer.

~Alli

What brew stores do ya'll use? As far as I know there is only one in the area (Bet-Mar in Columbia). I would be interested in visiting others if there are any, not that there is anything wrong with Bet-Mar, they are incredibly helpful and super kind about answering any and all of my questions. Just love visiting them and seeing what they have to offer.

~Alli

Hi Alli;

Bet-Mar off St Andrews in Cola is fine and Rick is more focused (and knowledgeable) with wine making than he is with beer brewing. Kevin at DIY Brewhouse in Elgin off Two Notch Rd is more into the beer scene and has good supplies...some wine, but beer is more his thing.

A really neat "superstore" is in Charlotte called Alternative Beverage. I go there every couple of months and stock up big items.

~Alli

Morrey dropped some good info above. I'll add that I usually take what Rick at Bet-Mar says with a grain of salt. Well, actually, I'm referring to his beer knowledge. I've never discussed vino with him so he may be a badass wine guru. And, if you join the Palmetto Homebrewers Assn (only $20 a year), Kevin at DIY gives you a 10% discount on all purchases. Hell, that membership pays for itself in no time.

ETA: When you really get going with your wine making, let me know because I am on the hunt for some good wine grapes/must to throw into a beer!

The July PSB meeting was last night, lots of people showed up and there was some real good beer going around. Anyone else make it out to the meeting?

The July PSB meeting was last night, lots of people showed up and there was some real good beer going around. Anyone else make it out to the meeting?

I did not make it out last night. But I hope to be at the August meeting. Did Chris do an education topic? If so, what was it? I'm always interested in his wisdom.

There wasn't a formal topic last night, he just talked about the fantasy draft competition some of the members are participating in. There was an 8 round draft for grain/hops/spices etc like in fantasy football where once an ingredient is selected no one else can use it. Then the last round was yeast which was at random pulled out of a hat. The draft was this past Saturday with the judging being sometime either near the end of the year or early next year.

There wasn't a formal topic last night, he just talked about the fantasy draft competition some of the members are participating in. There was an 8 round draft for grain/hops/spices etc like in fantasy football where once an ingredient is selected no one else can use it. Then the last round was yeast which was at random pulled out of a hat. The draft was this past Saturday with the judging being sometime either near the end of the year or early next year.

I was at Random Tap (next door to DIY Brewhouse) when they began the draft. Sat and drank a couple of summer ales as the guys picked ingredients. Couldn't stay to the end but it looked like fun. I may have to be a contestant on the next one!

I was at Random Tap (next door to DIY Brewhouse) when they began the draft. Sat and drank a couple of summer ales as the guys picked ingredients. Couldn't stay to the end but it looked like fun. I may have to be a contestant on the next one!

Yeah, I definitely want to get in on that next year. Kevin was explaining it to me and it sounds super fun.

Yeah, I definitely want to get in on that next year. Kevin was explaining it to me and it sounds super fun.

It was fun, glad I didn't get screwed by the yeast selection, not sure how others fared since we were told to not divulge what yeast we ended up with. Should have some interesting beers towards the end of the year. :mug:

It was fun, glad I didn't get screwed by the yeast selection, not sure how others fared since we were told to not divulge what yeast we ended up with. Should have some interesting beers towards the end of the year. :mug:

Oh damn so you did it?? Can you tell us your ingredients?? I don't think anyone else in this thread was in that draft. I'm super interested in what you got!

Oh damn so you did it?? Can you tell us your ingredients?? I don't think anyone else in this thread was in that draft. I'm super interested in what you got!

Here's my ingredients

For grains:
English 2 row
flake barley
roasted barley
dark munich
pale chocolate

Hops:
Galena
US Goldings

Misc:
Hazelnut

The rules are we have to use at least 1 base malt, 1 specialty malt, 1 adjunct and 2 hops. We have to use 7 of the 8 ingredients we picked so I picked hazelnut at the end since I think it could be interesting in a stout which is what I was planning for. I figured I'd be fine as long as I didn't get heff, belgian, saison or wit yeast, which I didn't. I won't say exactly what I got for yeast in case someone from the competition comes across this thread. ;)

Well, I have my watermelon/peach wine in the primary (WOOHOO!!), although I forgot the stupid limes while I was out so I will have to grab those when I go pick up my grand daughter from her pre-k summer camp. I think I am going to try a Skeeter Pee with this batch, and them maybe a cherry-something wine (ideas?) if anyone wants to make a skeeter pee with it (or anything else you might do with it).

My son suggested I try making beer (he has been my assistant for this batch), and I would LOVE to, but I know nothing about it as I don't like beer, so I would need a kind soul who would like to show me how and possibly be a taste tester (volunteers?). I am actually allergic to something in beer so I never developed a taste for it. I wouldn't know award winning from good from garbage. LOL

Where do ya'll get the best deal for bottles? I have been saving my wine bottles for ages and I don't have near enough for these two batches. I'd actually be surprised if I had enough for the first batch actually. I don't have too many friends that drink so collecting from friends isn't really gonna work. :/

I was thinking earlier - while covering myself in watermelon juice spatter - that it might be nice to have a get together with a bunch of fellow brewers and have a burger and a tasting of each other's wares, if anyone was into the idea... :mug:

~Alli

Here's my ingredients

For grains:
English 2 row
flake barley
roasted barley
dark munich
pale chocolate

Hops:
Galena
US Goldings

Misc:
Hazelnut

The rules are we have to use at least 1 base malt, 1 specialty malt, 1 adjunct and 2 hops. We have to use 7 of the 8 ingredients we picked so I picked hazelnut at the end since I think it could be interesting in a stout which is what I was planning for. I figured I'd be fine as long as I didn't get heff, belgian, saison or wit yeast, which I didn't. I won't say exactly what I got for yeast in case someone from the competition comes across this thread. ;)

Awesome! Kevin told me about this challenge and it is really cool. Yeah, I figured with my luck I'd draw some off the wall yeast that would be hard to use...but your luck spunds better than mine. Will y'all have a "reveal" party or tasting after the judging?

I wouldn't know award winning from good from garbage. LOL

~Alli

Alli, go out and buy a can of Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull as this is the very best beer you can find anywhere. Now you can use this as a reference point to judge by. So when you try one of my homebrews against the SMLB, you can pick the winner you like best. You know I am J/K.

You see these HBT members (on this thread) discussing group events they attend. Take your son and just go and hang out and learn the beer language...we all started somewhere.

If you organize a burger cookout, I bet collectively we will all bring a dish and some of our finest beers to share and enjoy. Maybe Catdaddy66 will bring a Saison he is known for.

I thought skeeter pee was lemonade wine or something. Maybe not. I don't make too much wine anymore. I have made some mead but it's just not as good as beer imo. Beer is a lot more involved because it has to be boiled and cooled before fermentation. I make cider or apfelwein sometimes when I don't have time to make beer because I can just dump all the ingredients in the fermenter. Some times there's a pre boil mash process that takes up time if you're brewing with grains (all grain). Beer usually has a quicker fermentation though so sometimes you can drink it just a few weeks after brewing

Also If you're allergic to something in beer. I bet it's gluten and I just found out recently that you can remove the gluten from the beer when you pitch the yeast. There's something called brewers clarex or clarity ferm made by white labs. I have a friend who is gluten free not by choice and he can drink Omission beers because they use that stuff in their beer

Awesome! Kevin told me about this challenge and it is really cool. Yeah, I figured with my luck I'd draw some off the wall yeast that would be hard to use...but your luck spunds better than mine. Will y'all have a "reveal" party or tasting after the judging?

I think the plan is to have the judging done by club members at one of the club events. Something like whoever wants to judge will taste the beers and rate them 1-5, one with the highest score wins so nothing super official. Once that's over if I have more left and I am happy with the beer I'll likely end up bringing some to the monthly tastings at DIY.

Back