South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought skeeter pee was lemonade wine or something. Maybe not. I don't make too much wine anymore. I have made some mead but it's just not as good as beer imo. Beer is a lot more involved because it has to be boiled and cooled before fermentation. I make cider or apfelwein sometimes when I don't have time to make beer because I can just dump all the ingredients in the fermenter. Some times there's a pre boil mash process that takes up time if you're brewing with grains (all grain). Beer usually has a quicker fermentation though so sometimes you can drink it just a few weeks after brewing

Also If you're allergic to something in beer. I bet it's gluten and I just found out recently that you can remove the gluten from the beer when you pitch the yeast. There's something called brewers clarex or clarity ferm made by white labs. I have a friend who is gluten free not by choice and he can drink Omission beers because they use that stuff in their beer

Skeeter Pee is made using the still active lees from a wine batch and making a "hard lemonade" of sorts. Of course it will have a bit of flavor from the wine so I thought a watermelon/peach would be a light enough flavor that it wouldn't be to overwhelming. I saw someone on here had made or tried to make a cherry limeade which sounded right up my alley!
I think it's the malt in some beers because those nasty wine coolers with malt in it does the same thing to me. I don't have a problem with anything else that I can tell anyway. I dunno, I might just have to get a few different ones at a store that lets me buy them in mix n match 6 packs and try a few (sips) and see how it goes... I guess I will have to find a willing participant to drink the beer that I can't.
I've never tried a cider. I had apfelwein in Germany (if it's the same thing) LOVED it. I would love to learn how to make that!!

~Alli

Alli, go out and buy a can of Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull as this is the very best beer you can find anywhere. Now you can use this as a reference point to judge by. So when you try one of my homebrews against the SMLB, you can pick the winner you like best. You know I am J/K.

You see these HBT members (on this thread) discussing group events they attend. Take your son and just go and hang out and learn the beer language...we all started somewhere.

If you organize a burger cookout, I bet collectively we will all bring a dish and some of our finest beers to share and enjoy. Maybe Catdaddy66 will bring a Saison he is known for.

OH NAYYY! I'm not drinking anything to do with SMLB! That stuff is the bottom of the barrel nasty! LOL But I will happily try one of yours! ;)

I would love to take my son to some events but he is a "grown up" and a welder by trade so I don't get to see him as often as I would like. :( But he wants Momma to have a little stock pile for him to "sample" when he comes to visit! hahaha.... kids....

I would love to host a burger burn and have as many of ya'll come as can! This gives me motivation to finish up my tiki bar so we have a nice place to sit and drink out of the hot SC sun! I have all the supplies, but man it gets hot out there and freakin life gets in the way! (Not really that much to do - Start with a general "spring" cleaning, get the banana leaf woven matting up on the inside roof, get the screens tacked up and the trim nailed on to hold it up, and finish the shelf that runs along the inside of the windows, and finish the last little bit of staining and bamboo trim on the outside of the bar itself, get the hole for the sink cut and drop that in with a little caulking, and get the water hooked up) then get the beer fridge and main fridge turned on and cooled off and we are ready to go! Easy peasy right? LOL Maybe I will shoot for August....

~Alli

Alli, go out and buy a can of Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull as this is the very best beer you can find anywhere. Now you can use this as a reference point to judge by. So when you try one of my homebrews against the SMLB, you can pick the winner you like best. You know I am J/K.

You see these HBT members (on this thread) discussing group events they attend. Take your son and just go and hang out and learn the beer language...we all started somewhere.

If you organize a burger cookout, I bet collectively we will all bring a dish and some of our finest beers to share and enjoy. Maybe Catdaddy66 will bring a Saison he is known for.

Wow! Glad to be 'known' for something!

Actually Kevin is the saison chef at DIY. Just asked his opinion on my most recent recipe. I have made about six batches as I discovered how delicious it is. I put it in my house beer rotation. The only two styles I make as often is Cream of Three Crops and California common.

I would love a potluck and beer get together btw...

Skeeter Pee is made using the still active leese (sp?) from a wine batch and making a "hard lemonade"...I've never tried a cider. I had apfelwein in Germany (if it's the same thing) LOVED it. I would love to learn how to make that!!

~Alli

Well check out the thread on here called "Man I love apfelwein" lol it's got a huge following. I dunno how it stacks up to the real stuff but it's quite tasty and easy to make. I usually dry hop mine and it's amazing with some simcoe. It's about 8.5% abv. I use wal mart juice so it comes out to about 18$ for 5 gallons then I will dry hop it with 2-3 oz so that adds about $7 then I also keg it so it's carbed.

I would love to take my son to some events but he is a "grown up" and a welder by trade so I don't get to see him as often as I would like. :( But he wants Momma to have a little stock pile for him to "sample" when he comes to visit! hahaha.... kids....
Welder, eh?? I think I've got some welding that could be done that I would gladly trade some beer for!

Wow! Glad to be 'known' for something!

The only two styles I make as often is Cream of Three Crops and California common.

I would love a potluck and beer get together btw...

My current Cali Common (your recipe) is dayuuum great if I may say so myself and share the credit with you. It likes a bit of conditioning time in the keg, so at 8 weeks, it is really hitting its prime. Mongoose33 and I shared results in a blind taste testing against the real deal Anchor Steam. Our version outscored the real deal by a large margin. Personally, I think they ramp up the temps (commercially) where I ran mine down at the low 60 range. Their version threw some off flavors Mongoose33 pointed out that ours didn't have. Maybe you are the Cali Common King instead! LOL

Hopefully Alli will get her hut ready by late fall. It would be hard to sit outside in 107F heat index as in today.

Welder, eh?? I think I've got some welding that could be done that I would gladly trade some beer for!

He would love to. He is currently testing for a job at a nuclear plant just across the border in GA. I am crossing all my fingers as it means I will get to see him a hell of a lot more often than I do. Which also means momma is gonna have to get her bootay busy on the beer making! ;)

My current Cali Common (your recipe) is dayuuum great if I may say so myself and share the credit with you. It likes a bit of conditioning time in the keg, so at 8 weeks, it is really hitting its prime. Mongoose33 and I shared results in a blind taste testing against the real deal Anchor Steam. Our version outscored the real deal by a large margin. Personally, I think they ramp up the temps (commercially) where I ran mine down at the low 60 range. Their version threw some off flavors Mongoose33 pointed out that ours didn't have. Maybe you are the Cali Common King instead! LOL

Hopefully Alli will get her hut ready by late fall. It would be hard to sit outside in 107F heat index as in today.

My hiney is gonna be outside this weekend working my butt off getting as much done as I can! I am super excited to do this now!! Burger burn, HERE WE COME!!! :ban::mug::tank::D:D:D I will have to see if I can't find a few pics to post for ya'll.

My hiney is gonna be outside this weekend working my butt off getting as much done as I can! I am super excited to do this now!! Burger burn, HERE WE COME!!! :ban::mug::tank::D:D:D I will have to see if I can't find a few pics to post for ya'll.

I get a sneaking suspicion you are gonna be a beer brewer on top of a wine maker. Maybe a sparkling hard cider in the fall when fresh pressed apples head our way?

Post pics......

Tiki 1.jpg

Tiki 2.jpg

Tiki 3.jpg

Tiki 4.jpg

Tiki 5.jpg

Tiki 6.jpg

Tiki 7.jpg

Tiki 8.jpg

Tiki 9.jpg

Tiki 10.jpg

I get a sneaking suspicion you are gonna be a beer brewer on top of a wine maker. Maybe a sparkling hard cider in the fall when fresh pressed apples head our way?

Post pics......

Quite certain you are right! I have actually wanted to do it for a long time as well, just never knew anyone that knew how that could guide me, ya know? Now, anything is possible! :p

Wow!!! This is NICE!!

All we need is some home brew beers on that counter top....well maybe in the ice cooler. Maybe a growler or two as well.

But you DO have the Coconut Rum displayed so it is officially a "sanctioned" Tiki bar.

Quite certain you are right! I have actually wanted to do it for a long time as well, just never knew anyone that knew how that could guide me, ya know? Now, anything is possible! :p

Next time you have a second to run over to Elgin, introduce yourself to Kevin at DIY Brewhouse. He is maybe 2 miles back in there on Two Notch behind Thunder Tower Harley Davidson off I-20. Many of us on this thread patron Kevin and he is very helpful and knowledgeable. I think if I am not mistaken, he may mentor new brewers in a special class and help them brew a beer for their first time.

Wow!!! This is NICE!!

All we need is some home brew beers on that counter top....well maybe in the ice cooler. Maybe a growler or two as well.

But you DO have the Coconut Rum displayed so it is officially a "sanctioned" Tiki bar.

I have been searching for ages for a parrot to sit on a beam that runs over the bar and finally found one I like last year so I will be adding him when it's all finished as well. Just gotta find a good name for him. I've thought about adding in one of those "insulting" parrots as well. lol

The only two styles I make as often is Cream of Three Crops and California common.

My current Cali Common (your recipe) is dayuuum great if I may say so myself and share the credit with you. It likes a bit of conditioning time in the keg, so at 8 weeks, it is really hitting its prime. Mongoose33 and I shared results in a blind taste testing against the real deal Anchor Steam. Our version outscored the real deal by a large margin. Personally, I think they ramp up the temps (commercially) where I ran mine down at the low 60 range. Their version threw some off flavors Mongoose33 pointed out that ours didn't have. Maybe you are the Cali Common King instead!

You guys care to share this Cali common recipe? I love Cali Common and am looking for ways to improve my recipe!

Where do ya'll get the best deal for bottles? I have been saving my wine bottles for ages and I don't have near enough for these two batches. I'd actually be surprised if I had enough for the first batch actually. I don't have too many friends that drink so collecting from friends isn't really gonna work. :/

~Alli

Oh hey I've got a bunch of wine bottles that I'm not gonna use. I was saving them and my neighbor gave me some. I already took the labels off and everything. I don't make wine anymore so I was about to throw them away honestly. Idk how I'd get them to you though

Oh hey I've got a bunch of wine bottles that I'm not gonna use. I was saving them and my neighbor gave me some. I already took the labels off and everything. I don't make wine anymore so I was about to throw them away honestly. Idk how I'd get them to you though

Is there a PM ability on this site? We could plan to meet somewhere? You are my new favorite person!!! Thank you SO much!

~Alli

I am meeting a brewing buddy in Asheville next weekend who is from WI and has never been to our area. He is bringing me a 6 pack of Spotted Cow which is local beer there and is very sought after but not available out of his immediate area.

He is asking for me to bring him something local he cant find elsewhere to trade. I am going to be in Columbia next Tu for a VA appointment so I thought I'd pick him up something if y'all will suggest.

He is not a stout or porter fan so that leaves out Holy City Pluff Mud. I don't think I can find Westbrook Mexican Cake anywhere but the taproom in Mt Pleasant. He likes lagers/pils, IPA's, hoppy wheats and Cali Common. If you can suggest something I can find at a store on the Garner Ferry side of town, I'd be most appreciative of suggestions. I could also stop at River Ratz near the stadium but do they have any beers that are decent? Debatable?

I am meeting a brewing buddy in Asheville next weekend who is from WI and has never been to our area. He is bringing me a 6 pack of Spotted Cow which is local beer there and is very sought after but not available out of his immediate area.

He is asking for me to bring him something local he cant find elsewhere to trade. I am going to be in Columbia next Tu for a VA appointment so I thought I'd pick him up something if y'all will suggest.

He is not a stout or porter fan so that leaves out Holy City Pluff Mud. I don't think I can find Westbrook Mexican Cake anywhere but the taproom in Mt Pleasant. He likes lagers/pils, IPA's, hoppy wheats and Cali Common. If you can suggest something I can find at a store on the Garner Ferry side of town, I'd be most appreciative of suggestions. I could also stop at River Ratz near the stadium but do they have any beers that are decent? Debatable?

River Rat is meh. I would suggest Southern Barrel's Damn Yankee. It's a pretty damn solid representation of NEIPA and can get fairly regularly in Cola and surrounding. Hit up Bottles at Garners and Rosewood. They usually have it. Does he like sours? If so, I would absolutely recommend anything from Bauernhaus. Man I love their beers. I've still got some 2017 Cakes in my cellar, but I'm not ready to get rid of them yet...

River Rat is meh. I would suggest Southern Barrel's Damn Yankee. It's a pretty damn solid representation of NEIPA and can get fairly regularly in Cola and surrounding. Hit up Bottles at Garners and Rosewood. They usually have it. Does he like sours? If so, I would absolutely recommend anything from Bauernhaus. Man I love their beers. I've still got some 2017 Cakes in my cellar, but I'm not ready to get rid of them yet...

Excellent...good ideas! Bottles is near where the road forks to the left becoming Rosewood?

Excellent...good ideas! Bottles is near where the road forks to the left becoming Rosewood?

Yeah. Assuming you're talking about getting off of 77 on Jackson Blvd. Then it Y's off to the left for Rosewood. Bottles is on your right behind that Advanced Auto on the corner of Garners and Rosewood.

Yeah. Assuming you're talking about getting off of 77 on Jackson Blvd. Then it Y's off to the left for Rosewood. Bottles is on your right behind that Advanced Auto on the corner of Garners and Rosewood.

I'll look for it Tuesday. You going to be working at lunchtime? I could meet you there since its close to your house.

Morrey, definitely have him try Conquest brewing near Williams Brice. Sacred Heart is their IPA and they have an APA called Seven Seas that are awesome. I have only seen them bottle their stout (Medusa), blonde ale (Artemis) and IPA (Sacred Heart), the rest are on tap and can be filling your growlers!

Thomas Creek (Greenville) has very good beers as does Highland (Asheville). Usually can find them in Green's and Total Wine in Columbia.

You guys care to share this Cali common recipe? I love Cali Common and am looking for ways to improve my recipe!

Happy to do it!

8# pale/2 row malt
1.5# munich malt
1# crystal 60

.75oz Northern Brewer @ 60 min
1.25oz Northern Brewer @ 15 min
1oz Northern Brewer @ 5 min

Mash at 152° for 60 min
Sparge for 15 min

Whirfloc tab at 15 min

Ferment at 62-64° for 7-10 days

I have 3.5oz of Northern Brewer for my next batch and was considering dry hopping with the last .5oz rather than save it (I still tweak this recipe), so feel free to play around with the numbers.

Morrey, definitely have him try Conquest brewing near Williams Brice. Sacred Heart is their IPA and they have an APA called Seven Seas that are awesome. I have only seen them bottle their stout (Medusa), blonde ale (Artemis) and IPA (Sacred Heart), the rest are on tap and can be filling your growlers!

Thomas Creek (Greenville) has very good beers as does Highland (Asheville). Usually can find them in Green's and Total Wine in Columbia.

Good tips! Does Conquest sell (bottles) in places other than their own taproom? I figure I'd be better off with can and bottles since they are more transportable. The guy from WI that I am meeting in Asheville for a beer weekend is Mongoose33 whom you know and talk with.

Good tips! Does Conquest sell (bottles) in places other than their own taproom? I figure I'd be better off with can and bottles since they are more transportable. The guy from WI that I am meeting in Asheville for a beer weekend is Mongoose33 whom you know and talk with.

Yeah, you can get CQ bottles at Bottles, or most any other bottle shop in town.

Me and Healey went to the grand opening of casual pint in Lexington today. We got free growlers for being in the first 50 customers. Sadly I couldn't drink because I was on my lunch break. I did get my free growler filled thoug. They have a good selection of cans and bottles. Well I thought it was a good selection because I like ipas. They had other stuff too. Oh if the guy likes stouts. Try legal remedy world court mocha blonde stout. It's awesome!

:( I need a wine making tutor.... Anyone up for personal lessons? Is there a thread with the abbreviations and terms of the brewing process I can read so I can understand some of the "greek" people here are talking about? I feel like a dummy. HAHAHAHA I need a "winemaking for dummies" course!!! :D:D

~Alli

:( I need a wine making tutor.... Anyone up for personal lessons? Is there a thread with the abbreviations and terms of the brewing process I can read so I can understand some of the "greek" people here are talking about? I feel like a dummy. HAHAHAHA I need a "winemaking for dummies" course!!! :D:D

~Alli

Here is a thread detailing a list of acronyms for beer making... Don't know about wine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=621087

And don't worry about not knowing. All of us on this site started out 'not knowing' much except that we love beer!

~Alli

Watch videos on YouTube about winemaking or beer making some things would be called something deferent depending on if you are referring to beer or wine. Like unfermented beer is called wort and unfermented wine is called must

Had a great in person visit with TravelingLight yesterday after exchanging emails, ideas and techniques for almost a year now. It was awesome to finally meet in person.

He shared with me a vibrant New England IPA which he has totally perfected. Also two Coffee Stouts, one of which was bourbon barrel aged.....FINE!!! This one needs to be in a brandy snifter enjoyed after dinner. I am gonna hit him up for another bottle of this one...LOL.

I shared a bottle of my IPA with Brett C as a primary yeast w/ Mosaic and Galaxy hops...no sacch in this one. First reports are he enjoyed it.

Always good to meet local folks with the same brewing interests. Catdaddy66 and I plan to meet at DIY on Sat 8/5 for Kevin's tasting if anyone else is going.

Had a great in person visit with TravelingLight yesterday after exchanging emails, ideas and techniques for almost a year now. It was awesome to finally meet in person.

He shared with me a vibrant New England IPA which he has totally perfected. Also two Coffee Stouts, one of which was bourbon barrel aged.....FINE!!! This one needs to be in a brandy snifter enjoyed after dinner. I am gonna hit him up for another bottle of this one...LOL.

I shared a bottle of my IPA with Brett C as a primary yeast w/ Mosaic and Galaxy hops...no sacch in this one. First reports are he enjoyed it.

Always good to meet local folks with the same brewing interests. Catdaddy66 and I plan to meet at DIY on Sat 8/5 for Kevin's tasting if anyone else is going.
Damn good to finally put a face with the name! And thanks for the kind words. I've been chasing (still am!) the dragon that is NEIPA. Always tweaking it!

I thoroughly enjoyed Morrey's brett IPA. As I was telling him, I typically don't love most commercial brett IPAs I've had. I usually find them too spicy/phenolic. But Morrey's was anything but that. Fantastic fruit salad bomb with galaxy and mosaic, with just the perfect hint of brett funk. He has given me confidence and desire to do a brett IPA! The clarity on that beer was phenomenal as well. Well done indeed.

Going to open his session lawnmower beer, as I call it tonight. Really excited for some Nelson hops as it's been a while since I've ridden the nelson train!

Guys (and gals), I dig our little Midlands group we're getting going here. If we can get some meet ups in the future, I foresee some tshirts made for us! We got any artists/designers in the group?

The lawn mower brew TravelingLight mentions is only 2.5% ABV. Most any 2.5 beer would be darn near pale colored fizzy water so I had to find a way to create body with a slim grain bill to keep fermentables ultra low.

The grain bill is rye and wheat. Some will say no to rye but this one fools you and gives you a stable mouthfeel with the wheat. It is very difficult to sparge but I did this one with my Arbor Fab mesh basket and press plate. BIAB is likely the way to go with this one as 3V would have issues galore.

The Nelson Sauvin also "tricks" you into thinking there is more to this low abv than there really is. I have gotten into this hop and want to try a beer with Nelson and Moteuka in the near future.

I can now finish mowing grass, outside chores...etc, then have a couple of pints before I grill out. I don't get "jelly knees" with this ultra low abv beer......TL-hope you like it for what is is....or in this case, what it isn't!!

That's awesome I've been wanting to make a low abv beer too. I think mango even keel by ballast point is 3.8%. And it's got a good silky mouthfeel

The lawn mower brew TravelingLight mentions is only 2.5% ABV. Most any 2.5 beer would be darn near pale colored fizzy water so I had to find a way to create body with a slim grain bill to keep fermentables ultra low.

The grain bill is rye and wheat. Some will say no to rye but this one fools you and gives you a stable mouthfeel with the wheat. It is very difficult to sparge but I did this one with my Arbor Fab mesh basket and press plate. BIAB is likely the way to go with this one as 3V would have issues galore.

The Nelson Sauvin also "tricks" you into thinking there is more to this low abv than there really is. I have gotten into this hop and want to try a beer with Nelson and Moteuka in the near future.

I can now finish mowing grass, outside chores...etc, then have a couple of pints before I grill out. I don't get "jelly knees" with this ultra low abv beer......TL-hope you like it for what is is....or in this case, what it isn't!!

Had the low ABV nelson last night. Wow! Was not what I was thinking it would be, in a good way. Not that I thought it would be bad but damn man. Color was awesome. I literally said, "Daaaaamn!" when I poured it. It's so crisp and light and dry it almost has a refreshing tartness to it. It's not tart, it just seems that way since it's so light and dry. Once again you fooled me! I was worried it would be too peppery/spicy with the high rye content but it's not at all. It's super refreshing. I think this beer would be good on fruit too. Have you considered that?? I would love to rack this beer onto some black or raspberries. Might have to put that in my pipeline...Thanks Morrey!

Had the low ABV nelson last night. Wow! Was not what I was thinking it would be, in a good way. Not that I thought it would be bad but damn man. Color was awesome. I literally said, "Daaaaamn!" when I poured it. It's so crisp and light and dry it almost has a refreshing tartness to it. It's not tart, it just seems that way since it's so light and dry. Once again you fooled me! I was worried it would be too peppery/spicy with the high rye content but it's not at all. It's super refreshing. I think this beer would be good on fruit too. Have you considered that?? I would love to rack this beer onto some black or raspberries. Might have to put that in my pipeline...Thanks Morrey!

Glad you liked it! I had one last night myself. The rye seems like it would be overwhelming in a 50/50 ratio with the wheat...but it surprises you. I think the Nelson takes it to the next level and that hop is awesome in my book.

I bet racked on fresh fruit in secondary would be great. Lets discuss soon as we move forward on this one. This was my first experimental batch so I wanted your feedback.

That's awesome I've been wanting to make a low abv beer too. I think mango even keel by ballast point is 3.8%. And it's got a good silky mouthfeel

If you want to try it I'll bottle you one to take to DIY on 8/5. It took a bit of thinking to get 2.5% to have any kind of mouthfeel at all.

Back