South Carolina SC midlands area brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Report back after the fact!

Ha yeah. I've been to their website and forum and tried to communicate on the forum but nobody really responded. I think someone responded and said yeah or something like that. Not a whole lot of traffic on their website.

I went to the meeting last month. The restaurant gets some craft bottles and cans from greens and cost $3 per beer so depending on what they get it could be a real good deal. From what was said there is usually a learning component but whoever was supposed to do it last month couldn't make it. They go through club news, previous competition results and upcoming competitions and some other stuff. After that whoever brought beer passed it around. It was pretty fun, I am going to try to make it to the meeting on monday.

They also do a brewery tour (I think once a year) where they charter a bus or something and visit a bunch of breweries. This year was Charlotte a couple months ago. They also have a booth set up at the beer festival every winter to promote the club and homebrewing as a whole.

I went to the meeting last month. The restaurant gets some craft bottles and cans from greens and cost $3 per beer so depending on what they get it could be a real good deal. From what was said there is usually a learning component but whoever was supposed to do it last month couldn't make it. They go through club news, previous competition results and upcoming competitions and some other stuff. After that whoever brought beer passed it around. It was pretty fun, I am going to try to make it to the meeting on monday.

They also do a brewery tour (I think once a year) where they charter a bus or something and visit a bunch of breweries. This year was Charlotte a couple months ago. They also have a booth set up at the beer festival every winter to promote the club and homebrewing as a whole.
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning on bringing a few of my beers. Just felt weird walking into a restaurant with a small cooler of beer!

Sweet! That's always a good feeling. I haven't brewed a beer since the last weekend in January. Got plenty of hopped apfelwein in my kegs though

TravelingLight stopped by our brew day today and brought over some beers to sample. Very good stuff. Thanks for coming out. I would love to get a collaborative brew day scheduled in the future.:mug:

I am nearly up to temp on my strike water for a cream ale. Trying some experimental hops Kevin had, described as super Amarillo like.

TravelingLight stopped by our brew day today and brought over some beers to sample. Very good stuff. Thanks for coming out. I would love to get a collaborative brew day scheduled in the future.:mug:

Yeah man! Thanks for inviting me by. Finally got to see a chugger pump in action :mug: and I am definitely down to do a big brew day this summer! Sounds like a great idea.

And dudes, lemme tell you, crescentfresh has a phenomenal blonde coffee stout right now. I could chug that beer.

Yeah man! Thanks for inviting me by. Finally got to see a chugger pump in action :mug: and I am definitely down to do a big brew day this summer! Sounds like a great idea.

And dudes, lemme tell you, crescentfresh has a phenomenal blonde coffee stout right now. I could chug that beer.

TravelingLight....are you going to DIY the last Sat of the month? Kevin says he usually has a tasting this day. I have never been but want to see if I can make it. I made a Cali Commons that I think would score in a comp but wanted some critiques on it prior to making a bad call.

Catdaddy66...if you are going let me know. My recipe spawns off your base recipe that Mongoose33 also uses.

TravelingLight....are you going to DIY the last Sat of the month? Kevin says he usually has a tasting this day. I have never been but want to see if I can make it. I made a Cali Commons that I think would score in a comp but wanted some critiques on it prior to making a bad call.

Catdaddy66...if you are going let me know. My recipe spawns off your base recipe that Mongoose33 also uses.

I'm not sure yet if I will make that one. I may be out of town. But if I don't head out of town, I will be there.

I will be there and will bring my latest version of the Cali common. Also have a saison and a young cherry wheat ale. Possibly will have a basic cream ale as well.

I will be there and will bring my latest version of the Cali common. Also have a saison and a young cherry wheat ale. Possibly will have a basic cream ale as well.

How many beers of each do you normally bring? I know it wont be as good, but I'll probably bottle off tap with a growler filler tube.

Finally made it out to the Palmetto State Brewers meeting last night. Details for those interested...

First, I was fairly impressed. There were about 20 of us in there, about 4-5 of those were officers. Basically, at first people sit around and shoot the bull, some people order food. [Sidebar: Zorba's actually brings in some good craft beer for the PSB meetings. The regular bar at Zorba's is all BMC I believe, but they bring in beers for the meetings and only charge 3.50 a pop, not bad at all, just settle up with the waitress when you leave.] After that, Kevin goes through any club news and then gets reports from each officer (Social, Comms, Education, Finance).

Speaking of finance, club dues are $20 a year. Your $20 gets you a 10% discount at DIY, a t-shirt (really like the shirts too)/or a hat, and a tasting glass. Also included, they do a fall party (oyster roast) and a spring party (frogmore) and have some comps in between. Currently they're doing in a couple weeks a brewing fantasy draft, for lack of a better term. Eleven people signed up, they draft ingredients, and then draw a random yeast out of a hat. Could be an awesome inter-club competition.

Education gave a quick 5-10 minute talk on different hopping methods and it's kind of an open floor for people to mention their experiences with different methods, etc. It was at this point that I realized the education chair, Chris Wood, has written some wild yeast articles that I've read countless times on BYO. So of course I nerded out talking yeast with him for a while. Knows his ish for sure.

After all that, the "meeting" is basically over but then people start passing beers they brought. I'd say maybe about 6-8 of us brought beers. Chris is a big IPA guy and brought some of his AmIPA that was super clean and very well balanced. Two brewing buddies from Irmo brought a rye pale and the same beer they put in a Bulleit rye barrel that was pretty impressive. And I'm not a big rye fan. I had a dry hopped cream ale that I was surprised with. Bottom line is I was impressed with the quality of some of the homebrews there.

Also, I thought it was interesting that the club, or at least those attending last night, it was almost a dead ass even split between the younger crowd (30-45) and the older crowd (45-65). I did hear a lot of people talking about secondary I'm like come on y'all! LOL. All things considered, I was glad I went, met some good people, met some people I could foresee myself brewing with in the future, and I will definitely be back.

Oh yeah, Morrey, Kevin and I talked about you, ironically. He was talking about Alt Bev up in Rock Hill/CLT and I mentioned a buddy from Darlington who buys bulk up there. He goes, "Oh, umm, Morrey, right?" I was like hell yeah man you know him! He said you've been to see him a few times. Thought that was funny.

How many beers of each do you normally bring? I know it wont be as good, but I'll probably bottle off tap with a growler filler tube.

I do that all the time. I found that the bigger of the two sizes vinyl tubing I have fits directly over my picnic tap and works the best. Haven't noticed a difference in taste

Currently they're doing in a couple weeks a brewing fantasy draft, for lack of a better term. Eleven people signed up, they draft ingredients, and then draw a random yeast out of a hat. Could be an awesome inter-club competition.

I had a dry hopped cream ale that I was surprised with. Bottom line is I was impressed with the quality of some of the homebrews there.

Oh yeah, Morrey, Kevin and I talked about you, ironically. He was talking about Alt Bev up in Rock Hill/CLT and I mentioned a buddy from Darlington who buys bulk up there. He goes, "Oh, umm, Morrey, right?" I was like hell yeah man you know him! He said you've been to see him a few times. Thought that was funny.

Kevin told me of the fantasy beer draft he had designed. My luck I'd draw the most challenging and sh**ttiest yeast ever known to mankind.

Could you tell what the Cream Ale was dry hopped with? Interested in trying this as I have considered doing it before. Got a Cream Ale keg ready to tap now so this is part of my standard pipeline.

Oh yeah, I have visited Kevin and realized he is a great brewer and a good resource. He loves talking beer and all things related, and he isn't just blowing smoke about stuff he doesn't know. He is 1 hour from Darlington while Alt Bev is 2.5 hrs. Alt Bev is a mega warehouse offering everything imaginable for home brewing. The owner has been in the home brew retail market for 45 years so he is quite on top of the latest and greatest. But I still want to patronize Kevin and keep him afloat as I hope others feel the same.

Could you tell what the Cream Ale was dry hopped with? Interested in trying this as I have considered doing it before. Got a Cream Ale keg ready to tap now so this is part of my standard pipeline.
Good question. I want to say it was something that sort of surprised me (at least as a dry hop) like saaz. I do know it was an impromptu dry hop. They didn't plan on dry hopping but said they forgot a whirlpool or FO addition so they just used it in the dry hop. It definitely was not a common Big C hop or anything fruity. I think it was saaz.

Also, I thought it was pretty cool that the couple that made the cream ale, their beers they had rubberbanded a print out on the bottles with the stats and even had a QR code you could scan to go directly to their recipe. I assume this is something Beersmith or one of the calculators does?

Good question. I want to say it was something that sort of surprised me (at least as a dry hop) like saaz. I do know it was an impromptu dry hop. They didn't plan on dry hopping but said they forgot a whirlpool or FO addition so they just used it in the dry hop. It definitely was not a common Big C hop or anything fruity. I think it was saaz.

Also, I thought it was pretty cool that the couple that made the cream ale, their beers they had rubberbanded a print out on the bottles with the stats and even had a QR code you could scan to go directly to their recipe. I assume this is something Beersmith or one of the calculators does?

With the right beers I enjoy Noble hops, and Saaz leads the way for me. Now that you mention it, Hallertau or Tettnanger may work too-all of which I have on hand. I agree with the idea the hop should be an accent and nothing too forward. Maybe a bit in keeping with hops used in European lagers.

I use BeerSmith but only print a regular sized spec sheet to keep as notes in my brew file. I scribble notes all over the paper used as a reference filed by the date I brewed. I never noted the QR code as a BS function but makes sense. Cool idea.

I use BeerSmith but only print a regular sized spec sheet to keep as notes in my brew file. I scribble notes all over the paper used as a reference filed by the date I brewed. I never noted the QR code as a BS function but makes sense. Cool idea.
Speaking of BeerSmith, how do you like it? I'm always just using an online calculator (usually Brewers Friend) but I'm ready to buy a program so I can really dial in my system with volumes, tendencies, etc.

Speaking of BeerSmith, how do you like it? I'm always just using an online calculator (usually Brewers Friend) but I'm ready to buy a program so I can really dial in my system with volumes, tendencies, etc.

I really like BS and have tinkered with it long enough to find the hidden options it offers. The basic recipe design is easy enough, but some of the other features just take some time to learn. It is money well spent in my opinion.

That's my hood! Admittedly, I haven't been to Hunter Gatherer in a decade or more. But when I went last, I wasn't a big fan of any of their beers. Granted, my palate has changed tremendously since then. But it's just a lot of ESBs, Browns, etc. Nothing exciting, IMO. Hopefully they stretch their legs a little in the new location and do some more interesting stuff.

That's my hood! Admittedly, I haven't been to Hunter Gatherer in a decade or more. But when I went last, I wasn't a big fan of any of their beers. Granted, my palate has changed tremendously since then. But it's just a lot of ESBs, Browns, etc. Nothing exciting, IMO. Hopefully they stretch their legs a little in the new location and do some more interesting stuff.

True, but their ESB was phenomenal!

This past Saturday I sent a message to Kevin at DIY asking if he had a particular hop I was looking for....and that I'd see him next Saturday for the tasting. He replied that I was missing the tasting as it was going on then. Darn. Day late and a week short.

This past Saturday I sent a message to Kevin at DIY asking if he had a particular hop I was looking for....and that I'd see him next Saturday for the tasting. He replied that I was missing the tasting as it was going on then. Darn. Day late and a week short.

Damn your luck, Morrey! I didn't make it out this Saturday either, 'twas brewing in the backyard.

Damn your luck, Morrey! I didn't make it out this Saturday either, 'twas brewing in the backyard.

I know! Next weekend is a brew date and I have been customizing a recipe for a hoppy wheat beer with a lemongrass infusion. We shall see, and if it turns out nicely, maybe we can go to the next Tasting at DIY so you can try it.

I was there... From about noon thirty til two. Brought my saison and cherry wheat. The wheat was good but thin on body as it was only 7 days in the bottle.

Kevin said the next one will be the first week of August rather than last week of July.

I was there... From about noon thirty til two. Brought my saison and cherry wheat. The wheat was good but thin on body as it was only 7 days in the bottle.

Kevin said the next one will be the first week of August rather than last week of July.

I was hoping to meet you up there and get you to sample my Cali Commons that came from your recipe. The only change I made was that I have been using Yakima Valley CO2 CTZ hop extracts for the bittering addition at 60. I looked at the IBU contribution your recipe had at 60 and converted that to the same IBU contribution from the extract. My beers have really smoothed out since I have started using this and I wanted your opinion and to see if you could detect any subtle differences.

I'll bottle a few from the keg and hold them until Kevin's next tasting which seems to be August 5. That works well as my wife and I bought tickets to a special "Uncorked Reserve" party at New Belgium in Asheville that last weekend of July where they are releasing a Kreik Noir barrel aged sour.

Soooo...when are all us Midlands brewers going to get together and share some beers and shoot the breeze and bull?

Idk man. Maybe when life slows down. Lol I've been too busy to brew lately but I think I'm catching up on a lot of projects so might be free sometime

Is the new Hunter-Gatherer brewery near Carolina Fire and Safety on Rosewood where I fill my CO2 tanks?

From the article it said it was back in the neighborhood. Where the old airplane hangar is

On a side note I just picked my hops
View attachment 405682
View attachment 405683
View attachment 405684

Whoa, you've picked already? Are you sure they were ready? My cascade had just started flowering within the week.

I have a magnum too (that was a free surprise from the company I presented from--never expected it to do well in this climate), and that is just now getting to 2.5 ft tall.

Whoa, you've picked already? Are you sure they were ready? My cascade had just started flowering within the week.

I have a magnum too (that was a free surprise from the company I presented from--never expected it to do well in this climate), and that is just now getting to 2.5 ft tall.

Yep. They were falling off the bines, they were starting to brown, and they were papery sounding and very good smelling! My fingers were all sticky and covered with lupulin. I may be wrong but I think because they are on the side of my house and only get strong afternoon sun they go into flowering mode early because the photoperiod gets messed up. I got two harvests last year with first year plants. That was 2 chinook and a cascade, my centennial is just now getting tall and starting to flower. There are already some new flowers coming in on my cascade
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1498614533.450876.jpg

Is the new Hunter-Gatherer brewery near Carolina Fire and Safety on Rosewood where I fill my CO2 tanks?

Yeah buddy. Just past Carolina Fire is S. Saluda. If you take that down towards the stadium to Holt, Holt will take you almost right to the hangar. It's less than a mile.

Latest posts

Back