Sam Adams Autumn variety pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
I've bought a number of these 12 packs this year, and I have to say that I'm very impressed.

First of all, the Saison is really good. I wish they would start sending this beer down south on its own instead of just in the variety pack.

The Octoberfest is pretty decent as well. Probably my 2nd favorite in the pack.

The Pumkin Ale is the best I've tried. To be honest, I've only tried a few and most of them taste like pumkin pie to me... and I hate pumkin pie. These are pretty decent.

Boston Lager finishes the variety pack. Good beer, but my 4th favorite in the variety pack.

I've suggested this pack to several people who have gotten back to me and have all said that it's a very good assortment of specialty beer (save the Boston Lager). I'll be buying this variety pack as long as it's on the shelves and will miss it when they stop making it this year.

I have bought two of the variety packs this year. I also thought the Saison was the best of them. We dont get these individually here in Central Florida either just in the variety pack. We can get the October fest which I like as well and buy 12s of it fairly regularly.

Love their Oktoberfest! Havnt tried their pumpkin yet. My favorite pumpkin is" night owl" from Elysian. Brewery. Just brewed my 2nd pumpkin a couple weeks ago

I like Boston Lager but it always drives me nuts when breweries put in their standard beer with the seasonal variety packs. Sierra Nevada does it with their pale ale, and New Belgium does it with their Fat Tire and Ranger. They're just "filler" in the pack and I can get them any time I want.

The saison is very good. I also agree that putting in their year-round beer is a bummer. Hit us with 1 more seasonal in there!

I enjoy Sam Adams seasonal pack that being said this one is my least favorite. I don't drink many Saisons but theses I couldn't finish. The Octoberfest was a favorite of mine but I started drinking some local versions and now the Sam's seems watery. The pumkin is good and the standard lager is always good. I do agree they should drop original lagers from variety packs or drop the count to two max.

Since I've picked homebrewing back up in the new house, I don't think I've picked up a seasonal pack. One variety that sticks out from the past was the Maple Pecan Porter. Is that usually in the Winter pack? I'm planning something similar soon and would like a refresher. :)

The SA variety pack is good, but I miss the Leinenkugel fireside nut brown. Went great with the wife's pecan pie!

Since I've picked homebrewing back up in the new house, I don't think I've picked up a seasonal pack. One variety that sticks out from the past was the Maple Pecan Porter. Is that usually in the Winter pack? I'm planning something similar soon and would like a refresher. :)

I love this one also, have made my version of one a few times now and always seems to go over well.I use 1.5lbs of grade b maple syrup , definitely one of the more expensive ones I've done.

I've bought a number of these 12 packs this year, and I have to say that I'm very impressed.

First of all, the Saison is really good. I wish they would start sending this beer down south on its own instead of just in the variety pack.

The Octoberfest is pretty decent as well. Probably my 2nd favorite in the pack.

The Pumkin Ale is the best I've tried. To be honest, I've only tried a few and most of them taste like pumkin pie to me... and I hate pumkin pie. These are pretty decent.

Boston Lager finishes the variety pack. Good beer, but my 4th favorite in the variety pack.

I've suggested this pack to several people who have gotten back to me and have all said that it's a very good assortment of specialty beer (save the Boston Lager). I'll be buying this variety pack as long as it's on the shelves and will miss it when they stop making it this year.

I'm sure it would make zero sense to them, but I wish they wouldn't include Boston Lager in the packs.... makes me not want to buy them....

I thought the pack was pretty good.

The one evening I had an Octoberfest followed by a Boston Lager. Great comparison and contrast since they seem to be basically the same beer regarding malts and type of hops with the Boston Lager being hoppier and the Octoberfest being malt forward.

I liked the pumpkin beer but my favorite so far this year has been Pumpkick by New Belgium.

Also, another interesting Pumpkin flavored beverage is Woodchuck Private Reserve Pumpkin Cider.

I love this one also, have made my version of one a few times now and always seems to go over well.I use 1.5lbs of grade b maple syrup , definitely one of the more expensive ones I've done.
Can you share your recipe? I've been looking at a couple and haven't settled on one yet. Thanks!

I've only done it as an extract brew, that ok?
Yes. I've done mostly extract myself and just did one partial mash. I might convert some of the extract to grains and do that again or just stick with all extract. The equivalent amount of grains are quite a bit cheaper than the cost of extract at my LHBS, so it helps cut back on the cost a bit in exchange for just a bit more time in the kettle.

Yes. I've done mostly extract myself and just did one partial mash. I might convert some of the extract to grains and do that again or just stick with all extract. The equivalent amount of grains are quite a bit cheaper than the cost of extract at my LHBS, so it helps cut back on the cost a bit in exchange for just a bit more time in the kettle.

Sorry for.the chicked scratch, I modified a honey porter extract recipe from aih. See pic, let me know if you can't read it. I raided pecans first time and soaked in vodka for a week but prefer the pecan dram now, much cheaper also

20141031_090529.jpg

After reading this thread, I just picked up a 12-pack to try this weekend. I don't mind the Boston Lager in there, but do agree that a "seasonal" variety pack should only have seasonal beers.

Didn't care for the pumpkin (thought it was too spicy), and the Oktoberfest wasn't bad, but I was really impressed with the Saison. I'll pick up a case next year I think.

Latest posts

Back