Oskar Blues "Q"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brooothru

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been an occasional fan of Oskar Blues beers for awhile, from the original Dale's Pale Ale to the more recent Can-o-Bliss. I picked up a 12 pack variety series for the 4th of July cookout, and a new (to me) offering was in the mix: Oskar's Lager.

Just a simple American lager in a plain white can. Low ABV @ 4.5%, only 95 kcal & 2.5 carbs, but what a delightful little crisp lager after a day of chasing grandkids around the Washington Mall on a warm summer day.

The website is pretty tight-lipped about ingredients (I'd like to know their malts and hops), but I can pretty much figure out the rest. It made its debut last year with very little fanfare. Still I'd like to try cloning it? Anybody got some data points? TIA.

Here are some recipe details from the head of brewing operations...

https://www.hopculture.com/oskar-blues-oskars-lager/
Safir and aramis! Now there's two hops I'm not acquainted with, but looks like I'm gonna'.

They didn't mention enzymes, but I would assume they either use amyloglucosidase or perhaps some technique like cold mashing to keep the ABV, calories and carbs down.

This may be an interesting side-by-side 'brew-off' to compare techniques. I've brewed some light beers and a brut with amylo that were fun but came out thin and boring. Maybe a brut and a cold brew with identical hopping and malt bills is in order.

This may be an interesting side-by-side 'brew-off' to compare techniques. I've brewed some light beers and a brut with amylo that were fun but came out thin and boring. Maybe a brut and a cold brew with identical hopping and malt bills is in order.
Please share your recipe and the results of your side-by-side. I'm really taking a liking to a good lager these days and may even test my abilities and try brewing one.

Please share your recipe and the results of your side-by-side. I'm really taking a liking to a good lager these days and may even test my abilities and try brewing one.
Lagers, especially German lagers, are what got me into brewing. Like many of the rest of my peers, I grew up on sneaking one of my dad's Pabst or Schlitz when nobody was keeping count, graduating into 'undergrad' Bud and Coors in college.

Later during my Navy years I finally made it to Europe and learned all about Continental lagers. Unable to find them fresh in the U.S. (and thanks to Jimmy Carter) I gravitated to brewing my own.

As Jerry Garcia might say, "What a long, strange trip it's been."

They didn't mention enzymes,
The malt bill is pretty clean: Pilsner, 2-Row Pale malt, and a little bit of brown rice to build that nice crisp platform. Plus tiny amounts of nutrients and enzymes to keep the yeast happy.”

Not terribly helpful but a little hint.

I saw this appear at in my area recently. I'll have to give it a try and see if it's worth using as inspiration for my usual lawnmower brews. Please do post if any of you seem to hit the mark well in terms of a clone.

When they changed the Old Chub can design something in the recipe changed. It’s still good but just not exactly the same. Really loved the original Old Chub.

I tried the Oskar’s Lager last week (I bought the same variety pack). Either my palate isn’t sufficiently well developed or, because I’m an old, cynical, SOB and not susceptible to marketing hype, I thought it was just another lawnmower beer.

We all taste what we taste, I suppose. :cool:

Back