Salvaging the Hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a reason you think there is a problem with your priming sugar? You calculated the amount, dissolved it in water, added to the wort and mixed well? The only thing that I always question is about the residual CO2, which is based on the temperature. But seriously, the difference between 2.5 volumes and 2.75 volumes... are you really going to be able to tell?

I still don't see why you say nothing has gone right with this.

Have you read his previous posts?? He's just paranoid.

Seriously, Relax, OP. Beers can take 1-3 weeks or more to carb. Kind of depends on how much yeast you have in suspension and the temperature. it's fine to keep them 70-80 now. It really has nothing to do with Pale Ale or other style of a given gravity range.

I'd pull one at 1 week and taste. I'd pull another at 2 weeks and taste. Pull another at 3 weeks and taste... Get the idea? You can see exactly how the beers change in flavor as they mature.

You did take a sip, yes? That is a right of passage, to drink a healthy sample of that beer you're bottling. :)

Congrats on the wedding as well!

I did take a sip, although I think in my excitement I got half sip of beer half of starsan, so it was a little salty :p And thanks, weddings are stressful apparently.

Is there a reason you think there is a problem with your priming sugar? You calculated the amount, dissolved it in water, added to the wort and mixed well? The only thing that I always question is about the residual CO2, which is based on the temperature. But seriously, the difference between 2.5 volumes and 2.75 volumes... are you really going to be able to tell?

Your hefeweizen looks infected to me. Especially since you said some bottles foamed to the end. Did you taste it? Even slightly infected lighter beers will taste sour or off.

You should challenge yourself to let these sit for 2 week minimum before you open one. And then wait one more week. 2 weeks will get carbonation, but it always seems better after 3 or 4. And during those 2-3 weeks, don't read anything about carbonation or conditioning!

I still don't see why you say nothing has gone right with this.

I calculated and used suggestions, kind of took a middle ground on the dextrose. I also did dissolve it but I read that you shouldn't mix or aerate, I thought... So I just added it at different intervals.

The hefeweizen was absolutely mixed between sour / banana off flavors. After talking to some people I had been using the wrong sanitizer, that is done and over with though. I have an intimate relationship with Starsan now.

Nothing has been smooth is all I meant. On brew day I grabbed LME instead of DME and it took me hours to cool the wort. When I racked it the siphon slipped and I lost almost a gallon and on bottling day I couldn't find my capper, of all things. Thats all. Little things from being new to it. If it tastes good, none of it matters at all. Just praying for something drinkable.

My best batch was one where I bottled a batch, then dumped out about a pint of yeast slurry. Rinsed and washed out the carboy and put the new batch in, added yeast, then realized I had not sanitized. Best batch, not kidding.

That's a major screwup, and it was fine.

I just mean after dissolving it and letting it cool a bit, I put about half of it in the bottling bucket then as I siphoned from carboy to bucket I would add the rest when it was half full or so.

I just mean after dissolving it and letting it cool a bit, I put about half of it in the bottling bucket then as I siphoned from carboy to bucket I would add the rest when it was half full or so.

I think you'll be fine, lots of people (e.g. Revvy) do it exactly this way and think that stiring is an unnecessary step (and potential source of oxidization). But if you find that you're still getting some carbonation variation bottle to bottle, just integrate some gentle stiring into your priming routine.

Yeah I hope so. Pretty damn excited to try one next week or so, it smelled really good. I learned so much from this thread, everyone has been so amazing.

Put a bottle in the refrigerator this morning to chill for 8 hours and see what it's like after week 1. It's tormenting me. Might have to take a half day.

Put a bottle in the refrigerator this morning to chill for 8 hours and see what it's like after week 1. It's tormenting me. Might have to take a half day.

You'll get home and won't be able to find your bottle opener. Then you'll find it and post, asking if you should open from the right side or left side of the bottle, how vigorously to pour, and what glass to use. Then you'll say that you got yeast in the glass. And then report that it tastes good, but that it will probably taste better with more time.

Later today, after you post this, others will post how they usually do it. So I will start:

2 weeks in the bottle at 65-70 degrees; 3 days minimum in the fridge. It's usually fine then, but it's always a surprise 1-2 weeks after that (a total of 3-4 weeks out of the fermenter).

Yes, I am having a laugh at all your posts. It is all in fun, and I hope not offensive.

49316559.jpg

Like others say, you'll likely not have enough carbonation but it's one bottle and no one will die if you prematurely chill one and drink it. Next week you can do one more and see the progression in both carbonation and taste. The week after, one more and at that point, I'd stick a few more in the fridge leaving some behind for the 4th week. It is remarkable to see how beer conditions, even beer that isn't supposed to be conditioned for long (pales & IPAs).

I've read a lot of differing opinions on conditioning and many different numbers as to how long to do it. I have a few extra bottles outside of an even case so I'm just going to try them each week to see how things progress and take lots of notes. The whole point of this thread wasn't to whine, but to learn as much as I could to make it worth me getting back into it.

If it's good, it's game on. Buying an old freezer off a family member for temp control and starting next batch.

The more I read and research, looking for and digging through recipes the more I am getting overwhelmed. Very few have instructions seemingly assuming many steps to be common knowledge. Being rusty, god I have some stupid questions:

They all look to have a list of ingredients to add to the boil, with no boiling times. Is it safe to assume this means you just boil all these things together? For an hour? Is there a certain temp. that I'm missing or just boil? I understand hop schedules just fine.

Maybe I'm reading into it and fretting too much and should just get at it. Regardless the outcome, I am doing this... Will be at brew supply store in hour and a half. I have decisions to make, feeling stupid :confused:

Go to the brew shop, buy a kit and small bottle of Star San - pester the shop guys for pointers. Follow some of the advice on this thread about bottling ... but you'll have a few weeks to worry about that (and remember, cleaning is not sanitizing).

Be patient ... give the beer at least three weeks (many will post saying that they get beer in 10-14 days ... believe me, patience is a virtue).

Don't worry, have a homebrew ... and remember, brewing is not a hobby, it's a way of life :)

I've read a lot of differing opinions on conditioning and many different numbers as to how long to do it. I have a few extra bottles outside of an even case so I'm just going to try them each week to see how things progress and take lots of notes. The whole point of this thread wasn't to whine, but to learn as much as I could to make it worth me getting back into it.

If it's good, it's game on. Buying an old freezer off a family member for temp control and starting next batch.

Oh no. You guys, he's got a freezer now... are you ready for the fretting THAT will cause? (again, joking)

I gave it an extra day in the fridge, just opened it after work. I think this makes day 10 in bottle.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412196859.432334.jpg

It's amazing. Nothing I have made previously compares. Mildly bitter hop taste, killer citrus notes... Maybe a little edge on it ? Don't know how to describe it but very interested to see following week how it tastes.

I wish I had chilled more. Could not be happier.

I think I'm pretty in love with citra. It definitely has little Sierra Nevada pale ale to it. I was surprised at the head and carb from only one week.

Looking forward to making something this weekend now that it's not brutally hot in my house.

I gave it an extra day in the fridge, just opened it after work. I think this makes day 10 in bottle.

View attachment 226907

It's amazing. Nothing I have made previously compares. Mildly bitter hop taste, killer citrus notes... Maybe a little edge on it ? Don't know how to describe it but very interested to see following week how it tastes.

I wish I had chilled more. Could not be happier.

I'm so very happy for you man!

Welcome back, I think that when you get a taste of that brew after a couple more weeks you will really be (re)hooked.

Now that you have fermentation temperature control, get another one going asap. They will disappear faster than you think.

I just had a gap in my brew schedule due to family visiting and fear I may run out of the 2 on tap right now before the next is ready. I got a chest freezer and brewed an Octoberfest 2 days ago and an experimental ale today. It is a pale ale with EXP 5256 for first wort hops and EXP 5256 and Citra at flameout.

I know I need to get one going ASAP. I've got everything to do a SMaSH with the hops from the garden and was considering grabbing the ingredients to try Apflewein for the first time just to get two things going. I'm just not sure what the deal is with Apflewein, people seem to rave about it but not sure if it's down my alley. But maybe the fiance will like it.

I know I need to get one going ASAP. I've got everything to do a SMaSH with the hops from the garden

A note re: home-grown hops. Just did my first brew with those using a buddy's back yard supply. We followed the often-given advice to use pellets for bittering and dry hopping, and use the home-grown only for aroma and flavor additions. We harvested maybe half an hour before throwing them into the brew. They add a tremendous amount of volume to the brew kettle so you need to be prepared for that (not a big deal, just expect to spend 20 mins scooping them out as the wort cools). Also -- and I'm sure this depends on how dry your hops are -- they absorb a tremendous amount of wort (we lost 2 gallons out of an 11 gallon batch to hop absorption). Neither of these is in any way a deal breaker, just something to be aware of as they add complications and places for potential worry to your brew day.

and was considering grabbing the ingredients to try Apflewein for the first time just to get two things going. I'm just not sure what the deal is with Apflewein, people seem to rave about it but not sure if it's down my alley. But maybe the fiance will like it.

I haven't tried EdWort's Apflewein but like most ciders it has the virtue of being super-quick and easy since there's no boil. Just toss the ingredients into the carboy, shake, add yeast and away it goes. The Apflewein will be relatively high ABV and very dry because of all the sugar and the champagne yeast (more like a wine than a pint of British cider). So you could also consider starting with a more traditional cider (good recipe in this thread, recipe calls for 6-months of bulk aging but I just kegged ~ 25 days after starting fermentation and find it quite pleasant already).

Excellent Fosaisu! The only kind of wine I like is dry so aflewein does sound like it might be my style. I have quite the boring taste in drinks. As far as the home grown hops go, being I was still in the process of my first beer since restarting I didn't get to use the hops fresh so they are frozen in vacuum sealed 3oz baggies. I had heard they can absorb a lot of wort so thought maybe throwing them in frozen wouldn't hurt. Also after doing that partial mash with the brew bag I bought, I don't know if i'll do it any other way. It was so easy to clean up/strain/sparge. I'm pumped.

Got the carboy cleaned and its filled with starsan before work so the hope is, after work I can dump it into my bucket, sanitize everything else and be ready to go! Still need a wort chiller though, just hemorrhaging money with wedding coming soon lol.

Back