Salvaging the Hobby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCADJockey

ALL YOUR BASE
Reaction score
I can't stop thinking about getting back into brewing. I quit after a batch I put my heart and soul into that turned into gushers. I've decided to take another swing at it since the hops I planted that never previously sprouted, produced a very bountiful crop this year. I'm going to harvest this weekend and make an IPA with the fresh Nugget hops from my garden but I just can not wait until then. Being so excited, I want to pick up ingredients on the way home this afternoon and make something tonight. That being said:

I would really appreciate suggestions for a nice recipe or idea to get back into the swing of things. Something with a nice hoppy bitterness maybe but most of all something with a little kick. I've only ever successfully made beers with low alcohol content and would like to try my hand at something more substantial.

Does anyone have any favorite go-to reliable recipes they would care to share? Thanks in advance!

Denny's (Conn) Wrye Smile IPA is a good one to try. Comes in dry and spicy from the rye, has the malt backbone to balance the unique hop combonation (Columbus and Mt Hood). OG is 1.078, so this would be a Med/Med Hi gravity brew I would say. Recipe for extract or all grain is on Northern Brewer's website.

If you really want to jack things up, a hoppy American Barleywine or Russian Imperial Stout may be just the ticket. Usually 8.5-13% ABV. But the higher ones especially take 5-10 months to properly age out.

Excellent thank you. The last one I tried (that made me take a break) was an all-grain. I'm going to try a partial mash instead this weekend when I harvest. Maybe extract is the way to go for a batch on-the-fly. There's no shame in that right? I'll look it up.

Oh wow, responses came much faster than I had expected. I have basic equipment really. Couple car boys, bottling equipment, and a really nice brewpot. I'll do 5gal batches. My only real issue is usually controlling temp for fermentation. Room temp is about all I've got at the moment.

Make sure you stock up sanitizer and refresh yourself with some basic sanitizing practices. The recipes suggested above are great but bottle bombs are usually one of two things:

- Infection in the bottle (poor sanitation).
- Excessive priming sugar

I clean like a madman after working in some nice kitchens. After some research I think I had priming issues. I've since invested in a decent scale whereas before I think I was guessing. I'm going to be more attentive to the priming part this time, though that part is still a little cloudy of all things. :confused:

I clean like a madman after working in some nice kitchens. After some research I think I had priming issues. I've since invested in a decent scale whereas before I think I was guessing. I'm going to be more attentive to the priming part this time, though that part is still a little cloudy of all things. :confused:

Invest in a kegging system. No more carbonation problems that can't be fixed.

I would start with either 1/2 cup of cane sugar or 2/3 cup of dextrose (corn sugar) for most styles of beer (giving light to med/light carbonation). If you have a wheat or Belgian, sometimes I will creep up to 3/4 - 7/8 cup of dextrose. Always pre-boil your sugar in about a cup of water. Add to your bottling bucket just as you are starting to rack the beer on top. It will mix well during the racking process.

Virtually fool proof! Now if you had a gusher bug, that can be an issue. Happened to me once and StarSan did not take care of it. I bleach bombed everything I could (1 Tbl of Bleach in 1 Gallon of cool water for 20 minutes). Hot water rinse afterward. Aluminum is not compatible with bleach. Stainless is okay if you minimize contact time (20 minutes).

I made a lengthy reply to your thread here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/new-guy-first-post-489464/

Any-who as for temperature control - Ales, US-05 is a pretty neutral ale yeast that doesn't seem to mind warmer temps all that much.

sanitation is the most important step, after that it's patience.

also if you are into cider you can't go wrong with edworts apfelwein:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/man-i-love-apfelwein-14860/

that stuff is pretty hard to screw up, and since you have two carboys, I mean hey you could have some beer going and some apfelwein going; be cautious when you drink it however, it sneaks up on you.

happy brewing!

I think I may grab a few cases of new bottles and caps while I'm there. I would love to invest in a kegging system but that's a whole new world that I've no idea what I'm doing in. Wouldn't know what to look for and all I've seen are massive price tags. I'm still so hesitant about the whole process in general, it just seems so hit or miss and I try to be very consistent with what I do.

Invest in a kegging system. No more carbonation problems that can't be fixed.

This was another issue I need to wrap up. Aside from the one batch of gushers I had, my previous beers had little to no head and that made me quite sad. I guess I haven't found the happy medium yet.

The more I read and research, looking for and digging through recipes the more I am getting overwhelmed. Very few have instructions seemingly assuming many steps to be common knowledge. Being rusty, god I have some stupid questions:

They all look to have a list of ingredients to add to the boil, with no boiling times. Is it safe to assume this means you just boil all these things together? For an hour? Is there a certain temp. that I'm missing or just boil? I understand hop schedules just fine.

Maybe I'm reading into it and fretting too much and should just get at it. Regardless the outcome, I am doing this... Will be at brew supply store in hour and a half. I have decisions to make, feeling stupid :confused:

I am in the same boat. I got into brewing and went all out and got right into it by building myself a decent 3 tier setup with everything I needed to jump into ag. then I had to relocate to the other side of the world into a tiny apartment so I sold all of my equipment and did a few small batches in my kitchen and nothing came out right. now after a little over a year im deciding to get back into it and I am fired up to the point where I cant sleep at night because I am planning setups and having brew days in my head. I cant wait to get some things on order and get back after it! Well anyway good luck to you I hope you have a successful brew and get back into the hobby as I plan to.

The more I read and research, looking for and digging through recipes the more I am getting overwhelmed. Very few have instructions seemingly assuming many steps to be common knowledge. Being rusty, god I have some stupid questions:

They all look to have a list of ingredients to add to the boil, with no boiling times. Is it safe to assume this means you just boil all these things together? For an hour? Is there a certain temp. that I'm missing or just boil? I understand hop schedules just fine.

Maybe I'm reading into it and fretting too much and should just get at it. Regardless the outcome, I am doing this... Will be at brew supply store in hour and a half. I have decisions to make, feeling stupid :confused:

Are you looking at all grain recipes? Not sure what the list of ingredients could be other than the list of malts (to be mashed) or hops (boiled, and recipe should have the hop schedule). The recipe should specify the mash temp and time as well.

You might be more comfortable getting a good kit from your LHBS if you're heading that way. That will come with the instructions at least (to be taken with a grain of salt).

How long has it been since your last brew?

Do you have a link to a specific recipe for what you are talking about?

Most recipes don't have any ingredients added to the boil (other than hops) unless it is something with a bunch of adjuncts (spice ales, flavored beers, etc) or something with a sugar addition (belgians). Kind of hard to give you a straightforward answer without specifically knowing what the addition is you are referring to.

Its been almost exactly one year to the day since my last one. The last one being my first (and last at this point) all grain. I've been reading about partial mash and that seems to be a perfect fit for my equipment and interests. A kit on the other hand, may be best to shake off the nerves I guess. I don't know.

I say make a SMASH with enough IBUs to get you by for now... not just 2-row but something like golden promise or vienna.

Do you like more of an british beer? American/NW style? German?

I used to drink any hefe / wheat beer but have fallen completely in love with all things hops. I think I found a recipe that I may be able to follow:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/chain-mail-pale-ale-474730/

Any thoughts or suggestions to make this work in the situation I'm in? It sounds to be my style. Although this is kind of what I was talking about earlier too. It states ingred's to be added before the boil.. then they go right into saying add during the boil. So they just mean the pre boil items are mashed? I can do that. Then boil and add everything else for the times stated? I've a feeling im making it harder than it needs to be.

Oh wow, responses came much faster than I had expected. I have basic equipment really. Couple car boys, bottling equipment, and a really nice brewpot. I'll do 5gal batches. My only real issue is usually controlling temp for fermentation. Room temp is about all I've got at the moment.
Man, I long for a car boy. :D
Make sure you stock up sanitizer and refresh yourself with some basic sanitizing practices. The recipes suggested above are great but bottle bombs are usually one of two things:

- Infection in the bottle (poor sanitation).
- Excessive priming sugar
And stopping fermentation early.
I used to drink any hefe / wheat beer but have fallen completely in love with all things hops. I think I found a recipe that I may be able to follow:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/chain-mail-pale-ale-474730/

Any thoughts or suggestions to make this work in the situation I'm in? It sounds to be my style. Although this is kind of what I was talking about earlier too. It states ingred's to be added before the boil.. then they go right into saying add during the boil. So they just mean the pre boil items are mashed? I can do that. Then boil and add everything else for the times stated? I've a feeling im making it harder than it needs to be.

All right, this is a good recipe. To dissect and give some additional direction...my comments are in red:

.5lb (7.4%) Vienna Malt; Weyermann - added before boil, steeped 60m
.5lb Maris Otter; Crisp - added before boil, steeped 60m
.25lb (3.7%) Caramel Malt 20L; Briess - added before boil, steeped 60m

If your kettle is large enough, add the total amount of water you will boil to the kettle. This is likely somewhere right around 6 to 6.5 gallons. Boil off will occur. I would start with 6 gallons and see where you end up. You may not get 5 gallons of beer into the carboy, but it will be close enough. Right now easy is key.

Heat the water to 160F. Once heated, take all of the above and put into a grain bag. Tie the bag and put it into the water. Think of a teabag, this is no different. Let sit in 160F water (covered is fine) without any heat (do not continue to heat the water) for 60 minutes. Now I'll be honest, I used to steep for 30 but I'd follow the directions here.

After 60 minutes, lift the bag (it will be hot) and drain it. Set aside. Turn your heat source back on. Do not cover the pot again after this point. Ever.

Let the wort (it is now wort) come to a boil.

Once the boil starts, set the timer for 40 minutes.

40 minutes has passed...

.5oz (10.0%) Zythos™ (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0m
.75oz (15.0%) Ahtanum (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0m

Add these hops. Use a hop sock or toss those bad boys in.
Set the timer for 5 minutes.

1tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 15.0m
Add the above. Set timer for 5 minutes.

5.5lb (81.5%) Dry Extra Light; Muntons - added during boil, 10min
.25oz (5.0%) Zythos™ (10.9%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
.25oz (5.0%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
.75oz (15.0%) Ahtanum (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
1*tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 10.0m
Add the above. Set timer for 10 minutes.

After 10 minutes, turn your heat source off.

.25oz (5.0%) Zythos™ (10.9%) - after boil
.75oz (15.0%) Centennial (9.2%) - after boil
.5oz (10.0%) Ahtanum (6.0%) - after boil
Add the above.

Begin to chill your wort.

7 days later...add the below. You can add to the primary if you want or you can take your beer from the carboy and put it into another. Then add the hops. Up to you. I've done both. Not that it means much, but I have.

1oz (20.0%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

7 days later (total of 14), you should have beer. I assume you recall taking gravity readings and all that jazz. Stable gravity over a few days and I would just leave your beer until after the 14th day of brewing.
Oh BTW, you are going to be just fine!

All right, this is a good recipe. To dissect and give some additional direction...
:eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:
Oh god, thanks so much for this. I know it sounded stupid but that's what I needed, I likely would've done it backwards somehow. The mashed part though, you said remove it to use later. Unless I'm REALLY having a bad day, I don't see where it is used again. I thought it was to be removed, sparged, then it was done (from what I've read in some other partial mash tutorials). Also, after the final hops addition..before chilling the wort, do I strain and sparge again? Its making it sound like I used to sparge previous recipes way too much. Regardless, this should get me closer.

After chilling (to like room temp right?) should I put it in my fermentation bucket or right into a carboy? Or does it not really matter... thank you thank you thank you. Sorry for being a dunce, just nervous. It also doesn't mention the priming sugar I don't think, which is (I assume) what I've funked up in the past.:(

Sounds like you need a refresher course. Read How to Brew by Palmer or at least the part about the actual brewing process. The book is available free online if your Google-fu is strong!
Buy a pre-packaged extract w/grains kit that sounds good to you from your LHBS or online vendor. Removes a lot of variables and you can concentrate on the process.

Fermentation temp control is huge! A simple swamp cooler setup is better than nothing.

Sounds like you need a refresher course. Read How to Brew by Palmer or at least the part about the actual brewing process. The book is available free online if your Google-fu is strong!
Buy a pre-packaged extract w/grains kit that sounds good to you from your LHBS or online vendor. Removes a lot of variables and you can concentrate on the process.

Fermentation temp control is huge! A simple swamp cooler setup is better than nothing.

You're right :( It is just so frustrating, the time I put into it in the past. Then I watch a show like Brew Dogs and they're like "Yeah we're on this island, so we're just going to forage ****, then cook the **** in this scrap metal we found and made into a kettle over a campfire". My friend brews, takes 2 min to clean his equipment, gets dog hair all over stuff, doesn't wash his hands.. and his stuff turns out just fine. Maybe I try too hard.

Oh god, thanks so much for this. I know it sounded stupid but that's what I needed, I likely would've done it backwards somehow. The mashed part though, you said remove it to use later. Unless I'm REALLY having a bad day, I don't see where it is used again. I thought it was to be removed, sparged, then it was done (from what I've read in some other partial mash tutorials). Also, after the final hops addition..before chilling the wort, do I strain and sparge again? Its making it sound like I used to sparge previous recipes way too much. Regardless, this should get me closer.

After chilling (to like room temp right?) should I put it in my fermentation bucket or right into a carboy? Or does it not really matter... thank you thank you thank you. Sorry for being a dunce, just nervous. It also doesn't mention the priming sugar I don't think, which is (I assume) what I've funked up in the past.:(

Sorry, do not reuse your grains. I mean you can, you can make bread, dog treats, human treats, etc...but you don't need to use them again later.

The recipe is written in the grain bill order so things seem out of order. Usually it is grain, hops, yeast in terms of how things are listed. I do not think you are stupid at all. I was merely providing brew steps which is what I print out a lot when I brew. So if you're stupid then so am I. :) I am not...you are not.

After you finish boiling and add the flame out hops you're done. You just start to chill. No sparging, just chilling. You chill to ideally 65F to 70F. I would ferment US-05 yeast at 65F. You can use a carboy (AFTER it is chilled in your kettle) or a bucket. Up to you. I would do a bucket and just toss my hops in primary. You WILL get various opinions on that and the How to Brew free edition online is outdated in some places. Even Palmer himself said it was and to just buy the new one. At least the free online version will get you places you haven't been to yet.

You will need to control the temp of the bucket or carboy. Google swamp cooler for beer, you'll see how to cheaply control temps.

Priming sugar. You should only measure this out after you know how much actual beer you will bottle. If you have 4 gallons of beer and you add 5 gallons of sugar, it would be gusher city. Lets touch on that after your beer is done. In the meantime, if you're curious, here is a priming sugar calculator. Again, amount of sugar is based off the amount of beer in the bottling bucket.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

If you had trouble just measuring priming sugar before, doing a recipe with a bunch of different hops in various quantities may not be the best choice.
I say keep it simple to get your confidence up.
The Northern Brewer Dead Ringer IPA or Breakwater Pale Ale are popular kits and tasty as well.

Priming sugar. You should only measure this out after you know how much actual beer you will bottle. If you have 4 gallons of beer and you add 5 gallons of sugar, it would be gusher city. Lets touch on that after your beer is done. In the meantime, if you're curious, here is a priming sugar calculator. Again, amount of sugar is based off the amount of beer in the bottling bucket.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Oh no... after the beer is done? Maybe I have been doing it wrong all along. I used to always chill, top off to 5 gal, then pitch the yeast and seal it up.

And I absolutely appreciate the breakdown, that is exactly what I needed. I am doing this! I'm leaving in 20 min to buy the ingredients and diving in.

If you had trouble just measuring priming sugar before, doing a recipe with a bunch of different hops in various quantities may not be the best choice.
The Northern Brewer Dead Ringer IPA or Breakwater Pale Ale are popular kits and tasty as well.
But then all my typing would have been in vain...:D
While I agree, I still think he can do this. You're talking hop additions at 20 and flameout. That's not bad.

Oh no... after the beer is done? Maybe I have been doing it wrong all along. I used to always chill, top off to 5 gal, then pitch the yeast and seal it up.

And I absolutely appreciate the breakdown, that is exactly what I needed. I am doing this! I'm leaving in 20 min to buy the ingredients and diving in.

No that is right. Make wort...chill wort...top off with your water...aerate (shake the wort like it owes you a cupcake)...pitch yeast...seal up...go have a beer. A finished beer that is.

Priming sugar is used at bottling.

No that is right. Make wort...chill wort...top off with your water...aerate (shake the wort like it owes you a cupcake)...pitch yeast...seal up...go have a beer. A finished beer that is.

Priming sugar is used at bottling.

Thanks.. I really needed a good laugh :D (cupcake thing)
1. My brain is fried, way too much CAD... I obviously confused yeast with sugar, ugh... disregard.

2. I've never shaken! I swore I read that you had to be so gentle with every process. Its amazing any of my beer every turned out. Man..

If you can handle CAD you can handle this. I'm sure CAD has changed drastically since I used it (R11-R14 & 2000) but still...you can handle this.

You want to aerate the wort (not beer) because yeast loves oxygen like I love hearing myself type. It really is glorious.

If you can handle CAD you can handle this. I'm sure CAD has changed drastically since I used it (R11-R14 & 2000) but still...you can handle this.

You want to aerate the wort (not beer) because yeast loves oxygen like I love hearing myself type. It really is glorious.

Well, its go time. Thanks guy, you made my day. I'm going to give it a go, will update tomorrow as to the destruction that is about to be wrought upon my kitchen.

Well, its go time. Thanks guy, you made my day. I'm going to give it a go, will update tomorrow as to the destruction that is about to be wrought upon my kitchen.

No destruction. Just come back here for help. This whole community is usually very quick on the trigger to help.

And I'm a girl...most days.

Ditto this. The good news is there are tons more resources for new brewers now than when I started and many of them are completely free. Plus like singybrue said, there are many high quality partial mash kits available with good instructions which should make homebrewing as easy as kit winemaking.

That was pricey little recipe but everything has been cleaned twice and we are bringing the water to temp! eeeee!

So i've got the mash steeping, I brought the water to 170... got everything in the bag, and my brew pot is holding temp so strong...it only dropped to 160. Should i add some water to try to bring it down to 155-150?

edit: disregard, moving it to countertop wrapped in a towel I got it to the right temp and its holding nicely.

You got this CADJockey. Just do not start drinking too soon it only makes screwing up easier and find what went wrong harder.

Took me longer to chill it than I thought it would, all the ice I had saved up melted so fast. If this one turns out okay, I will invest in a wort chiller at least. Tucking it in now, thanks so much for all your help. There will be updates for sure.

edit: aside from the entire process taking me about two hours longer than it should have, from being nervous and very cautious about being clean and meticulous as well as the chilling issue.. it seemed to go pretty smooth. I used the Chainmail Pale Ale recipe I found and linked earlier which says OG should be 1.055, mine seemed to be at 1.058. I do not know if this is good or bad, I always take these measurements but they mean very little to me. The wort also tasted very sweet, and then hit the sides of the tongue with bitter hops. Its the most interesting wort I have tasted from any of my brews so far. I ran to the store to buy ice and chilled the wort to a nice temperature for the first time as well as aerated it well, for the first time. The only strange observation, was that it was a very rich, almost chocolate brown color. Not what I expected for a recipe labeled Pale Ale, but that doesnt bother me. My only worry at this point aside from the obvious (will it turn out okay?), is how much stuff is in it! It used a lot of hops. After reading more contradictory posts about whether or not to strain from kettle to fermentation... I strained it through a mesh strainer just once, at the same time aerating it.

TL;DR: I am very excited and grateful for everyones help (especially from Hello, may have to name it after her) :) And a side note, I turned the leftover mashed grains into dog biscuits for my coolest friends Sadie and Frigga! Goodnight all, cant wait to try it!

Back