Salutations from Buffalo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I started it took me 5 hours start to finish, but it doesn't take that long anymore. Just take your time and focus on one step at a time. After you get a couple of brews under your belt you'll learn where you can cut corners and such. Welcome aboard!

Hey Project, what's up! Seems like there are a lot of Buffalo people popping up here. We should really try starting a club or something. Might be fun. Any ideas?

I never knew they had a beerfest here...and at the Central Terminal no less, that's really sweet.

So let's see, at 3oz a token and 20 tokens with admission that's about 5 beers for $20. That's not too bad I guess.

It was a lot better in past years when there was no need for tokens. Just pay the admission fee and you can taste as much as you want. FWIW, if you are def. gonna go, then I recommend getting your tickets before hand. They sold out last year.

since there seems to be a large contingent of buffalo brewers on this thread and i just registered, i figured i would add to the group.

and yes no tokens was great last year at brewfest, it will be interesting to see how it goes this year with the tokens.

any one know the name of the shop in orchard park, I will be there alot this football season. the supply shops that I have found in the rochester area kind of suck. I have been ordering almost everything of the net. I drove out to nt but they are a little expensive and about 78 miles away. I need to talk the wife into moving to buffalo! GO BILLS!!!

there is one in hamburg on camp road i think its called lets do wine google them to get the address dont know how there pricing is

killian said:
any one know the name of the shop in orchard park, I will be there alot this football season. the supply shops that I have found in the rochester area kind of suck. I have been ordering almost everything of the net. I drove out to nt but they are a little expensive and about 78 miles away. I need to talk the wife into moving to buffalo! GO BILLS!!!

That's the spirit! I sure am gonna miss going to Bills games... Anyway, the shop in OP is called Let's Do Wine http://www.letsdowine.com/ I've never been myself, but I believe some others have and may chime in here. GO BILLS!!!

You know that Beers of the World carries supplies too right? I don't think Let's Do Wine would be much better than that.

beers of the world doesnt have much of a supply, mostly base malt and very few specialty malts and their customer service reeaallly sucks. they tried to tell me that wyeast no longer makes activator packs.

skeeordye11 said:
It was a lot better in past years when there was no need for tokens. Just pay the admission fee and you can taste as much as you want. FWIW, if you are def. gonna go, then I recommend getting your tickets before hand. They sold out last year.

Ok thanks. Definitely going to try to drag my girlfriend to this one with me. Thanks for the heads up.

This thread has really taken off hasn't it? Good to see so many WNY area people around here.

SeaMonster said:
Ok thanks. Definitely going to try to drag my girlfriend to this one with me. Thanks for the heads up.

This thread has really taken off hasn't it? Good to see so many WNY area people around here.

Probably not a bad idea, casue someone has to drive home. The Central Terminal is not a place you want to leave your car overnight.

I wouldn't want to be in the Terminal at night, but I've been there plenty of times during the day for Brewfest and film shoots and stuff, and despite being gutted, it's an amazing experience to be in there. Makes me feel like I'm in Grand Central Station, or somewhere other than Buffalo.

But yeah, the neighborhood isn't exactly a crown jewel of Buffalo.

Wow, not only are there a lot of Buffalo people here but at least two of you live right around the corner from me! I'm right off Hertel as well; used to work at the Mighty Taco on Delaware :)

I haven't actually started anything yet but I think we're heading to NT tonight to get me a kit for my birthday. Is something like this good? I'd like to start cheap and see how much I like it, so if it's scalable then that's awesome. Luckily I don't think my SWMBO realizes how expensive this can get :D

Sigafoos said:
Wow, not only are there a lot of Buffalo people here but at least two of you live right around the corner from me! I'm right off Hertel as well; used to work at the Mighty Taco on Delaware :)

I haven't actually started anything yet but I think we're heading to NT tonight to get me a kit for my birthday. Is something like this good? I'd like to start cheap and see how much I like it, so if it's scalable then that's awesome. Luckily I don't think my SWMBO realizes how expensive this can get :D

Hey! Welcome to the board! I live near Colvin and Kenmore, right down the street.

Yeah, that's actually a very good kit. It includes all the ingredients for your first batch of beer as well so it's a good price. I started with the same kit except I added a 5 gal carboy. I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

Happy Brewing. Let us know how it turns out.

Brian

Now for a three part question:

Is there a benefit to using a carboy over what they supply?

Should I have asked this in the noob forum?

Did I just try to start the "glass vs plastic" debate again?

i'm assuming he added the glass carboy for purpose of 2 stage fermentation, not as a direct replacement.

as far as starting goes, i started with a kit and it came out great using single stage in the bucket. for your first one, i wouldn't worry about it unless you feel you want to go that route immediately. i did 2 kits from nt in the bucket and now i'm on my 3rd get which is a custom recipe and i'll be tranfering for the first time into a 2nd stage carboy.

Well, after doing two extract brews (one pretty good, one not so good) I'd like to step it up to partial mash. I know there was some mention of the water profile earlier in the thread: how do you get on the mailing list with the city to get that information? I emailed the Buffalo Water Authority and got this response:

The information requested is not currently available. The water quality
report on the web site contains all the data that is available for our
water.

I thought that was fairly terse... am I missing some of the information on their site?

Back