Salts...when to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am still rather new to brewing...just over a year now (several extract/4 AG batches). I am getting into water chemistry...specifically salts. I use BeerSmith and added distilled water and loaded a water profile. When I did that, it added the salts I needed to my main recipe screen. My question is when do I add the salts?

I use a 3-piece setup (HLT/Mash tun/BK). My HLT is only 7.5g so I can't put the full volume of water I need in there from the start...I have to reheat water during mash and I use batch sparge method.

Thanks for the help!

Will

I just started making my own profile with distilled using both Bru n Water and Beersmith. I make one water for mash and another for the sparge.

Made my best beers since doing it this way.

I’m with McKnuckle. I’m just getting into water chemistry and I’ve been adding my salts to the total water volume, mash and sparge.

And dissolve in room temp water . Dont Heat it up 1st. I'm no expert since I've only got into water profiles last Sept.

Two goals, with varying addition times - each one being important for their own reasons:

Mash - add salts here to hit your desired mash pH
Boil - add salts here to hit your overall desired water profile. Mainly important to get a target SO4:Cl ratio, depending on the beer you're making.

Back