Saison - Which fruity hops to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
I am looking to do a saison and would like to use some fruity hops to mix with the yeast rather than the typical saaz or golding. Not really looking for bitterness as much as flavor. Here is my grain bill for my partial/all grain. Trying to get a good mouthfeel with red wheat/oats. Actually had a local brewery make a milkshake saison ipa which was delicious:

5lbs - Pilsner/Pale Malt
1lb - Munich I (light)
1lb - Wheat (red)
8oz - Flaked Oats

2.5lbs LME Pilsen Light

Wyeast #3711 - French Saison

Now I would have liked to try Sabro (HBC 438), but looking like I will have a hard time tracking them down. My lhbs carries Jarrylo, which seems to be my next target, but I havn't used them. I am not crazy about lemon so sorachi/moteuka don't appeal to me much. Any suggestions from saison brewers?

I like the suggestions...keep em coming. I am hoping for a consensus lol

I made the cottage house saison in the recipe section and didnt like it at all..i used sorachi ace..lemon is general I am not crazy about

Saison's by definition (well, historically speaking) are very low hopped. The predominate flavor and aroma's come from the yeast. They are also dry as a bone. Over hop it, and it's become more of a hoppy Belgian or brut belgian (which is ok too).

However... I toyed around with a pinch of liberty or saaz early and a pinch of citra late, and it came out pretty good. Another really tasty one i've had used ginger and sage (if there was any hops at all, I couldn't sense them)

I'd avoid aggressive American style hops. To my taste buds, they don't play well with saison yeast esters.

My favorite "clean" domestic saison might be Funkwerks Nelson Sauvin - only Nelson hops in that one in a really pale base and similar yeast character to 3711 - sorta like your malt bill/yeast selection. Getting your hands on some Nelson could be a challenge...

Recently, I've brewed Saisons I've really liked with Hallertau Blanc, Nelson, and one with Huell Melon that came out a bit boring, so I gave it a light Amarillo dry hop charge - perked it right up.

I'm planning on using El Dorado in my next saison. I'm not sure how it'll turn out but I feel like some of the flavor and aroma notes I've read about it could go well with a saison.

I'd avoid aggressive American style hops. To my taste buds, they don't play well with saison yeast esters.

Define aggressive. Do you mean pine? High Cohumulone? If so I would agree.

Centennial and Amarillo make an awesome saison. The key is balancing the hops w the lovely yeast profile.

OP

Your grain bill is similar the Funkwerks Tropic King. Should be good and have that lovely orange color. French saison will finish dry but it produces glycerol so you will get mouthfeel from that too.

Hops: your pick. Lots of fruity hops out there now. Id suggest picking two to blend and go light for bittering and heavy at whirlpool. Let em sit for 30 min before chilling and skip dry hopping.

0.25oz dry of Citra at 7 days in my past 3 has been a good compliment to Belle Saison.

PS: 5 gal batch.

Last edited:
I am looking to do a saison and would like to use some fruity hops to mix with the yeast rather than the typical saaz or golding. Not really looking for bitterness as much as flavor. Here is my grain bill for my partial/all grain. Trying to get a good mouthfeel with red wheat/oats. Actually had a local brewery make a milkshake saison ipa which was delicious:

5lbs - Pilsner/Pale Malt
1lb - Munich I (light)
1lb - Wheat (red)
8oz - Flaked Oats

2.5lbs LME Pilsen Light

Wyeast #3711 - French Saison

Now I would have liked to try Sabro (HBC 438), but looking like I will have a hard time tracking them down. My lhbs carries Jarrylo, which seems to be my next target, but I havn't used them. I am not crazy about lemon so sorachi/moteuka don't appeal to me much. Any suggestions from saison brewers?

The recipe looks good - shame you don't want to use Golding (EKG and SG would work well)

If you're looking for non-lemony yet tropical/fruity try these pairs

Citra and Mosaic,
Amarillo and Simcoe
Galaxy and Nelson
Moteuka and Pacific Jade

A local brewery shared their hop schedule and they use citra, amarillo and centennial. So will probably give that a stab. This thread has also make me want to try one with nelson for sure. Maybe do a split batch

A local brewery shared their hop schedule and they use citra, amarillo and centennial. So will probably give that a stab. This thread has also make me want to try one with nelson for sure. Maybe do a split batch

citra, amarillo and centennial are a really good combination, however, IMHO you're pushing further away from a saison - they're meant to be simple farmhouse ales

definitely try nelson

citra, amarillo and centennial are a really good combination, however, IMHO you're pushing further away from a saison - they're meant to be simple farmhouse ales

definitely try nelson

True. More like an American Saison. But forget the bjcp and chase new flavors!

definitely try nelson

True. More like an American Saison. But forget the bjcp and chase new flavors!

Back