Safale 34/70 yeast question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeragent

Reaction score
After several years of brewing all-grain ales and having no problems, I've begun trying my hand at brewing lagers. I started by brewing a batch of all-grain Helles from Jamil's recipe and used two packs of the dry Safale 34/70 yeast. I had no issues with fermentation starting quickly and was able to ferment at 50 degrees (temperature controlled fridge) along with a two day diacyetl rest, then lagered for over a month. Once the beer was tapped, it had a very distinct fruity taste, similar to a light hefeweizen. I figured maybe for the yeast strain I had fermented too high, so once the keg was emptied, I brewed it again. Same recipe and techniques only this time I fermented slightly cooler at 48 degrees (ambient air temp). Once the Helles was complete and kegged, I tried it and again it had the same fruity flavor along with the usual light maltiness. The fruitiness wasnt as strong but still very noticeable. So, I tried another batch along with brewing an Oktoberfest as well. I used the same yeast again for both beers as I wanted to see if the strong maltiness from the Oktoberfest would cover over the fruitiness that the yeast seemed to be causing. This time I also fermented both lagers at 45 degrees. I had no problems with fermentation starting quickly and lagered both beers for over two months. I finally tapped them both last night and although the fruitiness is still there, its not as strong, but is still noticeable. Its more noticeable in the Helles than the Oktoberfest. My question to you is, have you used this yeast before, and if so did you have any of the same fruitiness from the yeast? I've gone on the Safale website and I'm aware that the product description does state it will create fruity flavors but I thought by fermenting low, the fruitiness would be low. I think next time I'll use a liquid yeast and do a starter. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

After several years of brewing all-grain ales and having no problems, I've begun trying my hand at brewing lagers. I started by brewing a batch of all-grain Helles from Jamil's recipe and used two packs of the dry Safale 34/70 yeast. I had no issues with fermentation starting quickly and was able to ferment at 50 degrees (temperature controlled fridge) along with a two day diacyetl rest, then lagered for over a month. Once the beer was tapped, it had a very distinct fruity taste, similar to a light hefeweizen. I figured maybe for the yeast strain I had fermented too high, so once the keg was emptied, I brewed it again. Same recipe and techniques only this time I fermented slightly cooler at 48 degrees (ambient air temp). Once the Helles was complete and kegged, I tried it and again it had the same fruity flavor along with the usual light maltiness. The fruitiness wasnt as strong but still very noticeable. So, I tried another batch along with brewing an Oktoberfest as well. I used the same yeast again for both beers as I wanted to see if the strong maltiness from the Oktoberfest would cover over the fruitiness that the yeast seemed to be causing. This time I also fermented both lagers at 45 degrees. I had no problems with fermentation starting quickly and lagered both beers for over two months. I finally tapped them both last night and although the fruitiness is still there, its not as strong, but is still noticeable. Its more noticeable in the Helles than the Oktoberfest. My question to you is, have you used this yeast before, and if so did you have any of the same fruitiness from the yeast? I've gone on the Safale website and I'm aware that the product description does state it will create fruity flavors but I thought by fermenting low, the fruitiness would be low. I think next time I'll use a liquid yeast and do a starter. Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

I've used this yeast a lot, mostly because of the convenience. I won't be using it any more, for the same reason you stated there.

I just did a side-by-side test where I split a pilsner batch (malt was only Briess pilsner) between 34/70 and Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager. The difference was obvious. The 34/70 was not a clean fermentation. The liquid yeast was super clean, crisp, exactly the pilsner I was looking for.

FYI, I did rehydrate the dry yeast, and used two packets per 5g. I did not make a starter for the liquid yeast, but used two pouches per 5g. Pilsner was 1.045 OG. Fermented @ 50F two weeks, to about 1.020, then raised to 60F for a week. FG on both was 1.010.

I've got both of these on tap now, so my memory is very fresh :)

Strange, I've never gotten that with 34/70. I do occasionally get a sweet fruity flavor if I ferment warmer. Have either of you tried repitching this yeast? I feel it works much better on repitching. But I've gotten kind of a sweet apple flavor from it before. If I ferment it at or below 50, though, it seems to be fine. I've really liked this yeast, it doesn't create diacetyl and it's fairly clean into the 60's.

Strange, I've never gotten that with 34/70. I do occasionally get a sweet fruity flavor if I ferment warmer. Have either of you tried repitching this yeast? I feel it works much better on repitching. But I've gotten kind of a sweet apple flavor from it before. If I ferment it at or below 50, though, it seems to be fine. I've really liked this yeast, it doesn't create diacetyl and it's fairly clean into the 60's.

What styles do you brew with it?

I've never been completely satisfied with my German pilsners until now. I've found a combo of that Munich Lager yeast and tettnang hops are exactly what I needed.

I'll bet I've made over 100g of the same pilsner with different combinations of hops and yeast.

This last batch, in fact, was 20g. I split it four ways, with different hops and yeast.

I agree on its fruitiness, just used it (first time) took a hydro reading and its very fruity, hope it cleans up alot. I fermented high 54.

I'm not a super big fan of W34/70. WY2124 and WLP830 are excellent, though.

WLP835 is my favorite lager yeast right now. It's got this wonderful flowery character that goes great in beers like Helles and Maibock. You can really taste that floral character if you ever get a mug of Andechs helles on tap. I like WLP833 a lot too. WY2206 tends to attenuate a little low but is otherwise one of the most delicious lager yeasts you can buy for malty beers.

Get yourself a vial of WLP833 and make a nice big starter. That yeast is the most no-fuss lager yeast I've used.

Ive also never gotten any significant esters form 34/70. Always well attenuated, crisp and clean. To those mentioning fermentation temps, are you pitching warm, then cooling to the main fermentation temp?

I rehydrate the yeast (at least two packs) in cool water and pitch after the wort has cooled to fermentation temp.

What styles do you brew with it?

I've never been completely satisfied with my German pilsners until now. I've found a combo of that Munich Lager yeast and tettnang hops are exactly what I needed.

I'll bet I've made over 100g of the same pilsner with different combinations of hops and yeast.

This last batch, in fact, was 20g. I split it four ways, with different hops and yeast.
The usual German styles: helles, pilsner, vienna/oktoberfest, dunkel, schwarzbier.
I just finished a series of beers with Wy2206 and wasn't the utmost impressed, sadly. I've only brewed with 833 once, but remember really liking it. My local homebrew shop doesn't have it a lot of the time and I'm not going to get it shipped at this time of the year.
I should try your tettnang and 2308 combination. That sounds like it could be a winner.

I've used 34/70 a lot..... it's readily available and convenient.......but it's NOT inexpensive for a dry yeast.........With a larger starter / heavy pitch and cool fermentation temps, it produces decent results..... I've repitched it quite a bit, and it's character changes over time. I recently brewed two batches with repitched 34/70 at "steam beer" temps, and it is throwing what I would consider Belgian flavors.

The best results I've had with it so far were with a fresh packet and a large starter, and temps toward the minimums.

Note that I rehydrate in cool water before creating a starter.............

H.W.

Back