Saach' Rest for 60min?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlreadyXDead

Reaction score
Hey there,

This will be my 3rd all grain batch. I am brewing a Belgian Blonde Ale. I will show the recipe at the bottom. Just want to get this question out of the way.

This recipe calls for a 60min Saach' Rest @ 150F. It doesn't indicate a mash out or fly sparge/batch sparge, or give any other instructions on the mash.

Question is, do I just put all my water in the MLT at one shot? And just have it sit for 60 mins at 150F and than drain it all into my kettle (ofcourse voorlof as well)? I am just a little confused and some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Recipe
--------
White Labs Abby Ale Yeast

11 Lbs Pilsner
1 Lbs CaraFoam

1oz Hallerttau @ 60 min
1oz Fuggle @ 5

Saach Rest for 60 min @ 150F

Ferment for 21 days in primary

Generally, you will hold the saccrification rest for 60 minutes in all beers.

Most people would mash at 1.25-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, and then sparge up to their boil volume. That part is just understood with recipes, and usually it's not stated in the actual recipe.

Some people fly sparge, some batch sparge, some mash out, etc so it's almost impossible for a recipe to reflect what you need to do for your system accurately.

How have you sparged before in the other AG beers?

Thanks Yooper.

So basically how I will go at this is strike at 162F(ish) hold @ 150F with 1.25-1.5qts/per Lbs of grain, than batch sparge to hit my pre boil volume?

Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

Thanks Yooper.

So basically how I will go at this is strike at 162F(ish) hold @ 150F with 1.25-1.5qts/per Lbs of grain, than batch sparge to hit my pre boil volume?

Does that sound correct?

Thanks.

Yep, exactly!

What might help you since it's a relatively new system set up, is to draw off the first runnings after the vorlauf, and measure them.

In theory, you can guestimate that. For example, if you mash in with 1.5 quarts per pound, that's 18 quarts. Have a couple of ice cubes and a bit of boiling water on hand, in case you miss a lot- but make sure you stir thoroughly and ensure that it needs it!

12 pounds of grain should absorb about 1.5 gallons in the mash. Since you've mashed in with 18 quarts (4.5 gallons), that means you should end up with 3 gallons or so of first runnings. But still, measuring the exact amount will help as due to crush and humidity, it can vary.

Say you have 3 gallons out of the mash. Then you know you need 3.5 gallons of sparge water to get to your preboil volume, assuming your preboil volume is 6.5 gallons.

You can have a bit more than that ready, just in case you need it. Once you get your system nailed down, you'll be able to do this in your sleep, I promise!

With 11lbs of Pilsner malt, many home brewers will recommend you do a 90m boil rather than 60 to ensure you drive off DMS. Pilsner malt produces significantly more than standard 2-row which is why many beers only get 60m boils.

Just boil it for a half hour before starting your 60m hop addition.

Bear in mind I'm talking about the boil, not the sacch rest here.

Depending on your boil-off over 90m (evaporation), you might want to add another 1/2 gallon or so to your sparge to ensure you hit your recipe volume. Only experience will teach you what your brewing system's boil-off rate is, so experiment and post a pic of the finished product!

[edit, I see you're in Ontario, but I'm feeling too lazy to convert to metric tonight]

Thanks for all the useful comments guys. I was unaware of the 90min boil for Pilsner malts. I will give that a shot! Cheers guys.

Just an update for those who were helpful. I did a 90 min boil, i missed my OG by quite abit. Was supposed to be around 1.57 but ended up at 1.47. I didn't heat the mash tun, totally forgot. Usually i'm never that far off. I added honey to it after the krausen started to fall, and this helped to bring it up i believe. It's at 1.006 right now. Regardless of all this, i tasted it. Best brew i've done by far. Couldn't be happier. Bottling this weekend hopefully. Just comes to show that although mistakes are made, good beer can still be an outcome.
Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back