Rye saison experiment feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
So sitting here on lunch playing around with Brewers Friend to use up a few ingredients I have leftover.

I like all types of belgians so I decided I would try another saison, this time with rye.

Partial mash 1 gallon batch

.25lbs of kolsch malt
.25lbs of crystal rye
.25lbs rolled oats
.25lbs Bavarian wheat DME
.25lbs clover honey
.25lbs table sugar

OG 1.052 FG 1.013 (will probably get down to 1.00)

What type of hop schedule?

Have hallertau mittlefruh, centennial, cascade, Whitbread and ek Golding's, and spalt.

Pretty set on the mash ingredients just to use up some leftovers, any suggestions on hops?

I go with the hallertau and/or spalt, 1 oz. at 30 1 oz. at 15 and something at 60 to get you ~25 IBUs total--if you have enough, stick to the noble ones. (I like a longer boil with noble hops--I think it actually gets a more noble character.)

OK so I have this for a hop schedule:

.1 oz hallertau @60
.25 oz spalt @30
.25 oz hallertau @15

That brings me to a little less than 30 IBUs (my spalt and hallertau are both pretty low at only 3.1)

Should I just use the hallertau on its own instead of slipping in the spalt at 30?

I have an ounce of the hallertau in pellets that I originally had saved for a cold snap clone. I haven't ever used the spalt and hallertau in the same boil before.

Also thought about throwing in some centennial at flameout ... Too much for a rye saison?

Are those number right? Even for one gallon, 1-1/2 lbs of fermentables is not a lot and 1/3 of that is simple sugar? Also cystal rye will not give you much of the rye character you'd expect from a beer that you're calling a Rye Saison.

And one last thing. You have no diastatic power for conversion of half of your grain bill.

Are those number right? Even for one gallon, 1-1/2 lbs of fermentables is not a lot and 1/3 of that is simple sugar? Also cystal rye will not give you much of the rye character you'd expect from a beer that you're calling a Rye Saison.

And one last thing. You have no diastatic power for conversion of half of your grain bill.

Yes, I double checked the numbers and they are right on. Actually, a large number of my 1 gallon brews have between 1.5 and 2 lbs of fermentables.

I used such a large part of the bill as simple sugar so that it would ferment quite dry in the saison style.

Also, I went with only a quarter pound of the crystal rye for rye flavor as I have a kolsch running right now using crystal rye and kolsch malt and it has the exact combination of rye and maltiness I was looking for.

Which leads me to my question on the conversion. I used only kolsch malt and crystal rye in the kolsch I brewed with maple sap and 1lb Pilsen DME. So I'm curious, although my scale was screwed up, I ended up overshooting the OG without having any base malt for the conversion. When I made it I was under the impression that kolsch could be used as a base, which I know now not to be true although I do see your point. Part of the reason I was experimenting with the remainder of the bag.

Back