Root beer - cold method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyhicks

Reaction score
So we hosted an exchange student this past weekend and we wanted to make him a "taste of home" he said he missed the licorice "tea" his mother made. So after a couple of attempts we found a YouTube video and had him translate. Turns out it's actually a "licorice juice"... The method got me thinking about my root beer recipe since I use roots and boil... We took the licorice root and ground it in a coffee grinder added baking soda and a bit of water and let it sit over night, apparently it actually starts a fermentation of the root. You then take the powder and dunk it like a tea bag in cold water to make the tea/juice.

Has anybody used this method to extract the flavor from their roots for sodas? I would think you would preserve more of the flavors of the roots in this method, thoughts?

So we hosted an exchange student this past weekend and we wanted to make him a "taste of home" he said he missed the licorice "tea" his mother made. So after a couple of attempts we found a YouTube video and had him translate. Turns out it's actually a "licorice juice"... The method got me thinking about my root beer recipe since I use roots and boil... We took the licorice root and ground it in a coffee grinder added baking soda and a bit of water and let it sit over night, apparently it actually starts a fermentation of the root. You then take the powder and dunk it like a tea bag in cold water to make the tea/juice.

Has anybody used this method to extract the flavor from their roots for sodas? I would think you would preserve more of the flavors of the roots in this method, thoughts?
Here is my typical base recipe I use for my root beer btw...
20160816_223658~01.jpeg

The recipe is a gallon batch, I have to dive deeper into my notes to find out how long I boil and such... I also typically use Nottingham beer yeast for my carbinating but I have my kegging system started so I will likely keg and force carb my next batch...

The recipe is a gallon batch, I have to dive deeper into my notes to find out how long I boil and such... I also typically use Nottingham beer yeast for my carbinating but I have my kegging system started so I will likely keg and force carb my next batch...

Sorry, i know this is an old post. But, how did it work out with the kegging?

Back