Risk of bottlwboms?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemanBrew

Reaction score
I used us-05 yeast that should have attenuation of 73—77%.
I counted that my attenuation was 68%.
But I bottled it anyway.

OG 1.080
FG 1.024
With 73% attenuation the FG should have been 1.020.

Fermented in primary for 3 weeks at 20C°.
It was a one-gallon-batch.

So what do you think? Does this seem normal or did I just created boms???

At least they're not bottle worms, which was what I thought thread title said first. {;

If you suspect bottle bombs, chill cold, then open a few slowly. If they seem over carbed, let them gas out a short time & re cap. Or just chill frosty cold & drink.

Not necessarily. If there were a lot of unfermentable sugars in the recipe the OP could be at FG.
This might be what has happend, becouse I had too high temps at mashing. Hope for the best.

If they will explode when it's most likely to happen? How many hours /days after bottling.

I added priming sugar to get 3.0 volume to Co2.

This might be what has happend, becouse I had too high temps at mashing. Hope for the best.

If they will explode when it's most likely to happen? How many hours /days after bottling.

I added priming sugar to get 3.0 volume to Co2.

OMG, that is a ton of priming sugar too. Open one today if not tomorrow. I imagine it's already a gusher.

OMG, that is a ton of priming sugar too. Open one today if not tomorrow. I imagine it's already a gusher.

I saw a video once about opening a properly primed beer. He opened one just a day or so after priming and it gushed. A little later they overflowed a little and when fully conditioned at a few weeks they were fine.

I don't know how scientific this was but if accurate the OP may get a gusher with a properly primed beer. (I'm not saying that he doesn't have a problem)

And 3.0 is on the high side but is not a ton of priming sugar.

That is a low FG for US-05. High mash temps can get you a lot of un fermentable sugars, explaining the high FG. And, that is almost a dangerous amount of priming sugar in standard bottles.
You need to open one and check it out. If you don't have gushers, it's likely to be syrupy sweet, at least to my palate.

I saw a video once about opening a properly primed beer. He opened one just a day or so after priming and it gushed. A little later they overflowed a little and when fully conditioned at a few weeks they were fine.

I don't know how scientific this was but if accurate the OP may get a gusher with a properly primed beer. (I'm not saying that he doesn't have a problem)

Interesting.

Last time I did volume of 2.7 and I thought that I want a bit more carbonation so I went with 3.0.

That is a low FG for US-05. High mash temps can get you a lot of un fermentable sugars, explaining the high FG. And, that is almost a dangerous amount of priming sugar in standard bottles.
You need to open one and check it out. If you don't have gushers, it's likely to be syrupy sweet, at least to my palate.
The tast was grate before priming and bottling. Not too sweet. Hmm...

Again I am not saying that the OP doesn't have a problem and 3.0 could easily be a problem with the FG mentioned.

3.0 is common for Belgian style beers and I have bottled several at near that amount without incident. I guess corked and caged Belgian bottles would be safer.

A taste for syrupy sweet might be a good test. If it is really sweet it could indicate a stalled fermentation which would give even more concern about bottle bombs.

Again I am not saying that the OP doesn't have a problem and 3.0 could easily be a problem with the FG mentioned.

3.0 is common for Belgian style beers and I have bottled several at near that amount without incident. I guess corked and caged Belgian bottles would be safer.

A taste for syrupy sweet might be a good test. If it is really sweet it could indicate a stalled fermentation which would give even more concern about bottle bombs.
No tase of syrup or too high sweetness.

The tast was grate before priming and bottling. Not too sweet. Hmm...

Put them in a strong plastic storage bin, let them condition. Then before opening any, give the bin a healthy bump with a long pole or something. (trying to make one explode if it will). Then with heavy gloves and a face shield - open one.

They may be fine. They may be bottle bombs. No one can know for sure. Measurement errors in brewing and or priming could make a difference in either direction.

The fact that you say the beer tastes fine leads me to believe that you made some measurement errors, or you do have a stable FG. But again - be safe.

I opened one. No gusher at all. Just a wery little hiss-sound (lasted like 0.1second).

Not disagreeing with anything you said, I think your first post was as I was typing mine.
I brew a lot of high octane Belgian beers, and usually bottle prime at 3-3.5 volumes, but I do that in corked and caged Belgian bottles. I don't think I'd go that high in a standard bottle.
Also, the OP hasn't stated how long ago this was bottled.

Not disagreeing with anything you said, I think your first post was as I was typing mine.
I brew a lot of high octane Belgian beers, and usually bottle prime at 3-3.5 volumes, but I do that in corked and caged Belgian bottles. I don't think I'd go that high in a standard bottle.
Also, the OP hasn't stated how long ago this was bottled.
I bottled these about 2-3 hours ago...

Put them in a strong plastic storage bin, let them condition. Then before opening any, give the bin a healthy bump with a long pole or something. (trying to make one explode if it will). Then with heavy gloves and a face shield - open one.

Put them away, as stated above, for 2 or 3 weeks, then check them out.

I bottled these about 2-3 hours ago...

Well it's not going to carb up THAT quickly!

You aren't going to know about the amount of carbonation for at least a few days. General rule of thumb for bottle conditioning is at least 2 weeks at room temperature. My experience is at two weeks (the earliest I open one), some are carbonated some not fully. At 3 weeks almost all are fully carbonated and all of them have tasted better with 3 weeks or longer. Some big beers take quite a bit longer.

Ok I'll be careful.

But I'm a bit confused...
Brewers friends examples says:
"German Wheat Beer = 3.3 - 4.5 volumes"
Why don't these explode?

(I like the high carbonation in German wheats)

Sorry for being noob. This is my first allgrain batch.

Ok I'll be careful.

Why don't these explode?

That's the volumes on draft. They can't do that in bottles or cans, or they would explode.

Should I open them all in maybe after 2days and recap? How much that will help? Or should I wait longer? I really don't want any explosions...

Ok I'll be careful.

Why don't these explode?

Type of bottle. We may be assuming a bottle that is commonly used in the US which is a brown bottle that is not made to contain that level of carbonation. 4.5 volumes would almost certainly explode our standard beer bottles.

Type of bottle. We may be assuming a bottle that is commonly used in the US which is a brown bottle that is not made to contain that level of carbonation. 4.5 volumes would almost certainly explode our standard beer bottles.
Here are the bottles
Screenshot_20200215-181609.jpeg

Should I open them all in maybe after 2days and recap? How much that will help? Or should I wait longer? I really don't want any explosions...

Try one every couple of days, if you get a huge hiss or gushers open them all and recap. If you don't have gushers by a week or ao from now you should be ok.

Seeing those bottles - definitely check them for gushers. And don't exceed 3.0 volumes while at the same time being absolutely sure that the beer has fully fermented. I have seen references on limits for standard bottles usually at 3.5 to 4 volumes and some say don't even go to 3.0 for fear of bombs.

Well. Thanks for help. I think I check another bottle tomorrow to see what's going on. (I'm feeling so noob)

FWIW, there is a lot of headspace in those bottles. How are you filling them?
Siphon + bottling wand. The smallest bottle has of course to much head space because I didn't have enough beer to fill it.

I think in this batch the bottles have little less headspace than the last batch (the picture).

Siphon + bottling wand. The smallest bottle has of course to much head space because I didn't have enough beer to fill it.

I think in this batch the bottles have little less headspace than the last batch (the picture).

So now I am confused. Those pictures are not pictures of the bottles you bottled days ago that you were concerned about bottle bombs with?

Regardless, there is way too much headspace in those bottles. You could easily eliminate at least another 1.5" just by allowing the beer and/or StarSan residual bubbles (if any bubbles remained in the bottles prior to filling) to reach the top of the bottle. You could even eliminate more headspace after filling to the top of the bottle by placing the bottom tip of the bottling wand just inside the lip of the bottle and press slightly against the inside of the bottle.

My suggestion is to drink the beer quickly to avoid oxidation.

EDIT: Clarified by adding "residual bubbles (if any bubbles remained in the bottles prior to filling)"

Last edited:
So now I am confused. Those pictures are not pictures of the bottles you bottled days ago that you were concerned about bottle bombs with?

Regardless, there is way too much headspace in those bottles. You could easily eliminate at least another 1.5" just by allowing the beer and/or StarSan residual bubbles (if any bubbles remained in the bottles prior to filling) to reach the top of the bottle. You could even eliminate more headspace after filling to the top of the bottle by placing the bottom tip of the bottling wand just inside the lip of the bottle and press slightly against the inside of the bottle.

My suggestion is to drink the beer quickly to avoid oxidation.

EDIT: Clarified by adding "residual bubbles (if any bubbles remained in the bottles prior to filling)"
I bottled the batch that Im concerned today... Maybe 6 hours ago. The picture is from a previous batch like 2 months ago, but the bottles are the same.

I put the bottles that I'm concerned to safer place and I didn't took a picture of them, so I send the old picture (same bottles, different batch).

Ps. English is not my native language so I might be easily misunderstood.

I bottled the batch that Im concerned today... Maybe 6 hours ago. The picture is from a previous batch like 2 months ago, but the bottles are the same.

I put the bottles that I'm concerned to safer place and I didn't took a picture of them, so I send the old picture (same bottles, different batch).

Ps. English is not my native language so I might be easily misunderstood.

Ahh, got it....you were just trying to show what type of bottles you were using. Thank you for clarifying that for me!

Latest posts

Back