Reusing/Washing Yeast with Bentonite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyFint

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post on this forum after reading about a thousand posts. Thank you all for your wisdom and your help in my brewing experience!

My question is this: is it possible to wash and reuse yeast from a yeast cake containing bentonite?

I found a lot of information regarding yeast washing and I understand that process. But I didn't find any information regarding the process when there's bentonite involved.

Background: I recently started a cider kit, which called for bentonite being added into the primary with juice right off the bat. This is the same procedure I had done with wine in the past, so I thought nothing of it. Shortly after, I read about yeast washing and decided I would love to try it and experiment a little bit in the cider world with this yeast (WLP775). Now, based on my understanding of how bentonite works (attracting yeast cells due to its charged particles, then settling to the bottom with gravity), I'm wondering if I'll be able to wash bentonite from my yeast at all, or will it be bound to the yeast cells? If I can't, will my yeast be usable for another batch?

Thanks

Back