Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember our first VHS player (we did have a disc movie player) and our first microwave. I also remember our first cordless phone, the Commodore 64, and bag cell phones. I remember the chunk of the tv changing channels and the console radio/8 track/turn-table. I also remember playing outside and being able to think for myself, not to mention being able to ride my bike 10 miles into town to get a few bucks from my mom so I could get a soda from 7-11 before I rode home and not worry about being accosted from any number of d-bags that seem to have grown in number since I was a kid. Just to name a few.

I remember my mom buying gasoline (Ethyl) for 37 cents a gallon. I remember my sister sending me to the store with a note when I was 5 to buy cigarettes for her. I remember when the word gay meant happy & the word queer meant odd. I remember watching Mickey Mouse Club in B&W, grooving on Annette Funicello's sweater clad boobies. I remember when there were 2 kinds of drive-ins: the kind where you watched a movie, and the kind where a cute car hop (waitress), usually on rollerskates, brought you food with a smile & the tray clamped onto your car window. I remember when a man (my Dad) could earn a living & be able to afford a car, a house, a wife & 3 kids and a week of vacation at the lake every summer. My Mom stayed home, kept house & took care of us kids.
Regards, GF.

Back before that new-fangled TV came out, we all gathered around the radio while waiting for prohibition to be repealed.

Pappy had me out chopping wood for the still...

radio.jpg

You could get Chemistry Sets, that had..................actual chemicals.
And when you blasted;) through your saltpeter, calcium hypochlorite and sulfur, you rode your bike down to the hobby shop to reload.

And when you blasted;) through your saltpeter, calcium hypochlorite and sulfur, you rode your bike down to the hobby shop to reload.

My parents never would let me have one of those. I ask for one every christmas and birthday. I even pulled the trump card, "Ill tell grandma". All to no avail, I was so deprived as a child!

Hmm... Chemistry was something I never got into as a kid. I'd always wanted one too, and for whatever reason I never knew they made electronic kits for kids either. I wonder if they make Arduino style kits for chemistry...

I bet your chemistry set had a little alcohol burner like mine. You could melt down the sulfur and stink up the house big-time. Mom always wondered what I was doing down there in the basement with that thing.:)

just found this button in my "sh*t I just can't bring myself to throw away" drawer

got about a dozen of these when I delivered pizzas to the local cable station when MTV first started this promotion and I still have 4 or 5 of them.

iwantmymtv.jpg

Oh my god, I nearly killed or blinded myself with mine once. I don't remember what we were doing, but I was heating up a testube of something with my bunson burner, with a cap on the testube, when the cap shot off like one of those water rockets, right into my face with a trail of hot chemicals.....I'm pretty sure I must have been wearing goggles though.

Speaking of water rockets, remember these awesome things? Remember firing them at each other?

water_rockets_650x300_a01_1.jpg

Wow, I was looking for a video of those water rockets, and came across this piece of toy awesomeness.....I never saw this before, did anyone have one? Methinks I want to make something like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know if this toy was in your vid Rev since my internet is just crawling today but I remember the two balls on a string that you pumped your arm up and down until they were hitting each other at the top and bottom of the arc. It was great fun until you hit your funny bone and could not use your arm for about a day. I know I spent a summer with bruised arms and half invalid as a kid.

And then you had the car that had the big flywheel wheel in the center of it that you had the rip cord you pulled to start it going. Man those things would go so fast they were just short of flying.

I do not know if this toy was in your vid Rev since my internet is just crawling today but I remember the two balls on a string that you pumped your arm up and down until they were hitting each other at the top and bottom of the arc. It was great fun until you hit your funny bone and could not use your arm for about a day. I know I spent a summer with bruised arms and half invalid as a kid.

And then you had the car that had the big flywheel wheel in the center of it that you had the rip cord you pulled to start it going. Man those things would go so fast they were just short of flying.

CLackers & SSP Racers are both in the video

I bet your chemistry set had a little alcohol burner like mine.

That's why they give you that asbestos hot pad - for safety...

I had at one time or another 24 of the toys in this vid.
70's? I had 24 of these:

misp89.jpg

Man, those things screamed!

I remember those. Seems like they were the start of the lost decade :fro:

Guess I was fortunate to have a head-start.....

Also lucky that they were made around here. Brother in Law used to snag experimental models.
I still have an original without the pivoting lid. Bowl wasn't polished, and had piece of leather glued over it to cover machining marks .

Bad design, the leather always came off from the sweat from getting packed around between girlfriends' boobs.

That ended when they quit wearing bras, but still count it as a fair trade!

They were so much fun I thought it would be a good idea to have some in the trailer for camping. Now days they got big balls on the end instead of a spike. What kind of fun is that

and pick up some Red Rocket Fuse while you're at it ... "Red Rocket Fuse" because if when you went to the counter to ask for some and you called it "DYNAMITE Fuse", the hardware store owner Mrs Huetter told you that you could not buy it and "What did you need dynamite fuse for?".
Hmmmph. < pedal back home >

The horribly addictive game Simon. I've still got one of these from approx 1981-1983'ish ... still in very good condition ... I had two, that's why the one I've got left is still in such good shape.
The sound this game makes still rings in the ears.

200px-OriginalSimon.jpg

and pick up some Red Rocket Fuse while you're at it ... "Red Rocket Fuse" because if you called it "DYNAMITE Fuse", the hardware store owner Mrs Huetter told you that you could not buy it and "What did you need dynamite fuse for?".
Hmmmph. < pedal back home >

Bravo! That's how you had to play it back in the day. Still remember getting my butt whupped for using one of Mom's bowls and end of baseball bat as mortar and pestle for the charcoal briquets.

Lawn Darts were awesome. To hell with trying to land one in the ring. Lob it as high as you could and run like hell. Stuck one in the ol' lady neighbors roof. That was the end of the lawn dart fun.

tumblr_ltcr29ei4f1qcy8xgo1_500.jpg

I remember watching this all the time.

I did not have one ... but it's most definitely best for all concerned.

gilbert-atomic-energy-lab.jpg

"The set came with four types of uranium ore, a beta-alpha source (Pb-210), a pure beta source (Ru-106), a gamma source (Zn-65?), a spinthariscope, a cloud chamber with its own short-lived alpha source (Po-210), an electroscope, a geiger counter, a manual, a comic book (Dagwood Splits the Atom) and a government manual "Prospecting for Uranium."

Other Gilbert sets (e.g., the No. 11 Atomic Energy set) continued to carry the spinthariscope, the ore and the manual. In addition, the Geiger counter could be purchased separately."

http://www.orau.org/PTP/collection/atomictoys/GilbertU238Lab.htm

(I mean, really, what kid wants to take a goddamned Ant Farm to the science fair)

Yeah, we did a heck of a lot of fishing and hunting, even some trapping but after we moved into the city, we had some relatives that were very generous at birthdays and Christmas.

We got the "oh, those poor children don't have any toys!" treament and my Dad would tell them, they don't need a lot of toys. it was cool because, espeicially in the Spring, Summer and Fall we would spned the vast majority of our time outside, actually even in the Winter. We grew up part of the time in Saginaw, Michigan but Dad moved us back out of the city after about 4 years - thankfully. i still don't like cities.

Man so many cool toys I did not have. I had to settle for old fashioned fun like hunting and camping :rockin:

I hear ya. As a kid I loved going camping. I had my sleeping bag that we got by redeeming S&H Green Stamps ... a backpack from Santa ... and my first hunting knife that I got for selling subscriptions to Michigan Out of Doors Magazine ... they didn't pay you with money, you chose a "gift".

I had forgotten about Michigan Out of Doors mags, and the tv show.

The TV show Michigan Out of Doors is still on.

The show's always been known for great theme music too ... the new theme is good ... but the old theme was the best.
Music that brings back lot of memories for a lot of guys (and gals) my age ... particularly memories of our fathers and grandfathers.

I still remember that old theme by heart from I guess more than a quarter century ago now (I'd committed it to memory as I thought I'd learn it on guitar) ... if you remember the melody ...

Old theme - Michigan Out of Doors
"From the rugged shores and woodland of the North it's history; of copper mines and iron ore, the Great Lakes fisheries,
To the farmlands of the southern counties we'll look around again, and all that waits for sportsmen in the State of Michigan,
And sometimes when the moon brings out the diamonds in the snow, and the stillness of the forest lies encased in arctic cold ... the wind might whisper through the trees, listen if you can; it tells you of the beauty in the State of Michigan."

The TV show Michigan Out of Doors is still on.

The show's always been known for great theme music too ... the new theme is good ... but the old theme was the best.
Music that brings back lot of memories for a lot of guys (and gals) my age ... particularly memories about our fathers and grandfathers.

I still remember that old theme by heart (I'd committed it to memory as I thought I'd learn it on guitar) from I guess more than a quarter century ago now ... if you remember the melody ...

From the rugged shores and woodland of the north it's history ... of copper mines and iron ore, the Great Lakes fisheries,
To the farmlands of the southern counties we'll look around again, and all that waits for sportsmen in the State of Michigan,
And sometimes when the moon brings out the diamonds in the snow, and the stillness of the forest lies encased in arctic cold ... the wind might whisper through the trees, listen if you can; it tells you of the beauty in the State of Michigan.

I haven't lived in MI since 1977 but I remember the melody and started singing it as I read the words.
Thanks Mate!

I hear ya. As a kid I loved going camping. I had my sleeping bag that we got by redeeming S&H Green Stamps ... a backpack from Santa ... and my first hunting knife that I got for selling subscriptions to Michigan Out of Doors Magazine ... they didn't pay you with money, you chose a "gift".

Man I had forgot about the S&H green stamps. I never got much out of it though :D

My first sleeping bag was a high tech all season as long as it was warm bag. Just a bunch of blankets hehe. I joined the Army and was thinking cool now I get a real sleeping bag and I did get one but I have to say it was a lot of years after the Army before my idea of camping did not include a motel west.

Now every summer I spend at least 6 or 8 weeks up in the hills. But since the ground seems much harder to me than I remember as a kid I pull up a camper and enjoy the comforts of a stove and fridge and most important a bed.

Back