Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the duplicating machine pictured twice, above, is NOT a mimeograph machine. It is a SPIRIT DUPLICATOR. A mimeograph forced ink through a fine mesh "master." The spirit duplicator...my first few years of teaching, we had to hand-crank it...used methanol [or maybe ethanol...I don't remember] to remove a very slight bit of "wax" from the "master" and let it print onto the paper. Those worksheets ALWAYS smelled great!

glenn514:mug:

Good call.

According to Wiki, the fluid was composed of a mixture of methanol and isopropanol.

Johnny works on a freshly printed spirit duplicator worksheet, sticks his fingers in his nose, proceeded by mouth and then eats lunch without washing his hands.

Dee Dee Dee...

Carlos+Mencia+carlosmencia1.jpg

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but the duplicating machine pictured twice, above, is NOT a mimeograph machine. It is a SPIRIT DUPLICATOR. A mimeograph forced ink through a fine mesh "master." The spirit duplicator...my first few years of teaching, we had to hand-crank it...used methanol [or maybe ethanol...I don't remember] to remove a very slight bit of "wax" from the "master" and let it print onto the paper. Those worksheets ALWAYS smelled great!

This reminded me of high school print shop. You had to load individual lead letter types into clamp frame used on platen press. Had a bunch of these drawer cases for different fonts.
printers-cabinet-open-to-left.jpg

I'll never forget the type cleaner solvent that boiled at about 10° F. Actually cause rags to frost up when humidity was high.

And never could keep the linotype running right, but at least we got to play with molten lead:ban: In California no less.
Try that today..........

But I found that picture on the internet....They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true..:)

oh well, thanks for the correction

Reading this thread has got me thinking about how much life has changed just in my lifetime. And then that got me to thinking about how much the future will be different from now.

Space colonies and George Jetson cars come to mind

I recently began commuting an hour each way to work and the whole Jetson thing came to mind. Would love to put it on autopilot and take a nap. Although, I do like being able to drive and control the car.

I remember a time where bullying would end with the bully getting his ass kicked. Not with the bullied committing suicide or getting arrested for kicking the bully's ass. When did the world become so soft?

I remember the days when you could actually find several job openings in your general area you were qualified for and if you applied for them you would actually get an interview! Things have changed.

I remember when college graduates had a starting salary of about $12K and a single family home only cost $40K at the time. Now you are lucky to make $25K as a college graduate and average houses cost 10X your first year salary. Things have changed!

I remember back in about 1999 I could fill up my little Honda civic for $8. Today it would cost about $40. Things have changed.

There are a few things that have changed for the best I suppose. We have social media and smart phones! Woo-freakin-hoo!

Yep. I ran a BBS on my Apple ][/e for a number of years in the 80's. I remember paying $595.00 for my fist 2400 baud apple cat 2 modem. Ward christensen protocol had just been released (xmodem) for CRC transfers of files before packet switching was the thing. I used to dream of 20 meg hard drives. Everything back then was stored on 5 & 1/4" floppy discs, that you doubled by notching the side of the disk and flipping it over so your floppy drive could write to the bottom of the disc media.

Yep. I ran a BBS on my Apple ][/e for a number of years in the 80's. I remember paying $595.00 for my fist 2400 baud apple cat 2 modem. Ward christensen protocol had just been released (xmodem) for CRC transfers of files before packet switching was the thing. I used to dream of 20 meg hard drives. Everything back then was stored on 5 & 1/4" floppy discs, that you doubled by notching the side of the disk and flipping it over so your floppy drive could write to the bottom of the disc media.

Sh*t I must be old. That is all Greek to me. An analog mind in this digital world:cross:

My first "computer";)

Worked fine back then, but now I need a bigger font.....

I have a slide rule in my desk. I got it as a white elephant one year.

When I get back to my office, I'll post a pick of some Sperry chips in a paper weight that I inherited from my Aunt.

Anybody remember the Atari computers from the early eighties? There was the 400 and 800, IIRC. My buddies parents had the 400 (we were in 6th grade in '82-'83. We played video games that had to be "loaded" by inserting a cassete into a deck that was connected to the computer. I also remember writing really short programs in BASIC.

My niece wondered what the funny ruler was, when I started to show her how it works she said "Why don't you just use the calculator off your phone?" :smack:

The response is "and how will you do it when calculators and smart phones no longer exist."

I'll admit I was born in the 80's. I remember the Apple 2e, the Sega Master system, tape decks and VHS tapes.

One day I'll stick a "Please be kind rewind" sticker to a DVD and send it back to Netflix. :D

The response is "and how will you do it when calculators and smart phones no longer exist."

I'll admit I was born in the 80's. I remember the Apple 2e, the Sega Master system, tape decks and VHS tapes.

One day I'll stick a "Please be kind rewind" sticker to a DVD and send it back to Netflix. :D

This VHS that you speak of? How does that work?

OrdinaryAvgGuy said:
And then when finished you would take notes from one of these bad boys.

I remember bowling alleys having them too. That was always fun. Also there was a time stereotypes were funny.

Most guys in my high school had pocket knifes. And you could go anywhere with one. Without fear of getting gang tackled, maced, and arrested.

My self and another supervisor used to smoke a good cigar every Saturday that we worked. While at work roaming the plant on my scooter.

A while back my dad and I ran into one of his old liquor salesman. He was talking about how much the business had changed mainly now they expected the salesmen to be sober at work.

I remember BOOK IT very well! I taught seventh grade in those years, and the kids I had liked to eat pizza. My own children did, too. Much FREE pizza was given out by Pizza Hut to my class and my own kids!

Just went back a page and saw the overhead projectors, and the question about what they use now. Before I retired, some amazing "white boards" were just starting to be used in the schools. I'm not sure what they all did and how they could be used, but I believe that what was written on the board could be copied and printed on 8.5 X 11 paper and handed out!

I remember BOOK IT very well! I taught seventh grade in those years, and the kids I had liked to eat pizza. My own children did, too. Much FREE pizza was given out by Pizza Hut to my class and my own kids!

Book it.. What a brilliant concept.

Fix one problem (literacy) while promoting another problem (obesity).

What subject did you teach?

Just went back a page and saw the overhead projectors, and the question about what they use now. Before I retired, some amazing "white boards" were just starting to be used in the schools. I'm not sure what they all did and how they could be used, but I believe that what was written on the board could be copied and printed on 8.5 X 11 paper and handed out, or even downloaded to the student's computer.

My first "computer";)

Worked fine back then, but now I need a bigger font.....

107351d1363208640-remember-when-powerlog.jpg

I learned to use a slide rule in high school. This was right when the personal calculators became popular - which were bigger than today's cell phones. The one below was the popular with the nerds back then. I couldn't afford one, but I wanted one! If for nothing else than to type in 7734! Boy was that a hoot back then

25.jpg

I learned to use a slide rule in high school. This was right when the personal calculators became popular - which were bigger than today's cell phones. The one below was the popular with the nerds back then. I couldn't afford one, but I wanted one! If for nothing else than to type in 7734! Boy was that a hoot back then

25.jpg

I can remember my grandmother sitting at the kitchen table doing the bills with this fine jewel.

I just read that when it was introduced in 1975, it retailed for $200 - in today's dollars that would be nearly $800!

Amazingly, this vintage adding machine sells on ebay today for between $200 - $300. One hell of an expensive paper weight.

Back