Rehydration with microwave water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjmaster19

Reaction score
I heat a small amount of water using a microwave that I use to re-hydrate yeast.

I haven't really had any problems, but after reading this, I won't be doing that anymore: http://usahitman.com/microwave-test/

The article has a bunch of unscientific jibber jabber... but the pics are enough proof for me...

"Below is a Science fair project presented by a girl in a secondary school in Sussex. In it she took filtered water and divided it into two parts.

The first part she heated to boiling in a pan on the stove, and the second part she heated to boiling in a microwave.

Then after cooling she used the water to water two identical plants to see if there would be any difference in the growth between the normal boiled water and the water boiled in a microwave."

Yeah, I might start to consider those results if we knew more about her procedure. Also, as people commenting on the article mentioned, it's not a double blind study.

It's not a study at all. It's a science fair project. She had two plants and one of them died. That could easily happen if both were given the same water.

She had a "theory" about the "energy of the water" and designed an "experiment" to confirm her ideas. It's the opposite of science. It pisses me off because this same article was making the rounds in the NEWS! and making people afraid of their microwaves.

All that bull**** about how the microwave makes the molecules move faster and faster and therefore it's bad - hey dingus, guess what the VERY DEFINITION of heat is? You don't think that happens when you heat water in a kettle?

Mumbo jumbo woo-woo pseudoscience angers me more than almost anything on this earth.

It's not a study at all. It's a science fair project. She had two plants and one of them died. That could easily happen if both were given the same water.

She had a "theory" about the "energy of the water" and designed an "experiment" to confirm her ideas. It's the opposite of science. It pisses me off because this same article was making the rounds in the NEWS! and making people afraid of their microwaves.

All that bull**** about how the microwave makes the molecules move faster and faster and therefore it's bad - hey dingus, guess what the VERY DEFINITION of heat is? You don't think that happens when you heat water in a kettle?

Mumbo jumbo woo-woo pseudoscience angers me more than almost anything on this earth.

Well, I'm probably giving her more benefit than she deserves, but the article claims that her classmates reproduced the same results. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe the article.

Am I reading the article correctly? It looks like it is implying the microwave corrupted the DNA of the water, thus killing the plant because it couldn't recognize the water as... water?! BWAHAHAHAHA!

Am I reading the article correctly? It looks like it is implying the microwave corrupted the DNA of the water, thus killing the plant because it couldn't recognize the water as... water?! BWAHAHAHAHA!

The article is indeed BS, but no they were saying it corrupts plant DNA if, for example, you cook a potato in the microwave.

Wow - maybe they should give some of this water to the guy who makes beer in his stomach.
People can say anything and make it sound like science.
I know I depend on our children's science fair projects to reinforce my degree in chemistry.

I heat a small amount of water using a microwave that I use to re-hydrate yeast.

I haven't really had any problems, but after reading this, I won't be doing that anymore: http://usahitman.com/microwave-test/

The article has a bunch of unscientific jibber jabber... but the pics are enough proof for me...

"Below is a Science fair project presented by a girl in a secondary school in Sussex. In it she took filtered water and divided it into two parts.

The first part she heated to boiling in a pan on the stove, and the second part she heated to boiling in a microwave.

Then after cooling she used the water to water two identical plants to see if there would be any difference in the growth between the normal boiled water and the water boiled in a microwave."

Yep absolute BS. Aside from what others said about not seeing the procedure and it not being a blind study, you could do that study with one plant with identical water and one plant may die. The sample size is 1! One plant died and that is going to convince me to not use microwaved water?

That's a laughable bunch of horse poopy.

Microwaves cause the water molecules to flip back and forth. The friction between them generates heat, nothing more.

Pay no attention to Snopes. Microwaves use bursts of demonic energy (hellfire) to heat things. It's no wonder that plants wither and die when fed Satanic water! Your beer is all tainted by evil. PM me and I will tell you where you can ship it to have it properly disposed of by a priest. In the meantime, you must stuff your microwave with communion wafers and slice its cord off, then douse it with holy water and bury it on consecrated ground. Only then can you brew safely.

The article is indeed BS, but no they were saying it corrupts plant DNA if, for example, you cook a potato in the microwave.

Wait a sec. What if the microwaves change the DNA of the water to the point where the water gains sentience and rises up against us? Or even worse... what if the potatoes rise up against us?!?! :eek: [cue completely original song entitled "Attack of the Killer Potatoes" that in no way resembles any other song that may or may not have a similar sounding name]

I might have to retire my microwave when I get up to pour my next beer.

Back