recipe help: tart peach cobbler beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
My wife made a peach cobbler a few weeks ago that I can't get out of my head. Delicious. Part of what made it great is that the peaches were still a bit on the tart side - not overly sweet at all, very fresh tasting. I want to make a version of this in beer form.

Obviously, I'm thinking it should be a kettle sour, but just a little tart - not punch you in the face sour. I want to balance that with sweetness from the wort, and I'd love to get in some nice bready notes.

so I'm thinking that the grain bill would be ESB derived - marris otter, victory, etc. things like that. I'd kettle sour that with lacto for a couple of days, and then boil. I'd lightly hop for balance, probably no flavor or aroma hops. If anything, something to highlight peachy notes.

I'm thinking US05 for yeast - something clean. Maybe US04 but it's probably better to let the yeast take a back seat here.

after that, secondary on peaches, cinnamon, and vanilla - that's what my wifes cobbler had.

here's my question: anything weird happen when souring wort made from these kind of grains? I don't see a whole lot on the interweb of sour recipes using bread-forward grains.

thanks!

Shouldn't be weird at all. Probably not something that would be super refreshing on its own, but with the additions it should be very tasty.

On a related note, 10 Barrel's experimental brewer Tonya Cornett was at my brew club meeting last night and talked about the recipe design for Spiral Staircase, which is a Baltic porter base blended with a dark kettle sour and Montmorency cherries. She said they liked the dark kettle sour enough on its own that after the blending they took the leftovers and put 'em on tap at the Bend pub, where it was pretty popular.

I have seen people report US05 throwing peach at the lower end of it's temperature range, cannot say I have experienced this but another aspect of your beer to think about.

warmer ferment using SAF05 will give a tart style flavor, I state it that way because it is not Tart, just a hint. about 77º f. I am strictly using 05 for 30 batches now to understand it better.
I'd reconsider Hop aroma, and think about Peach and Cinnamon flavoring at bottling or keg.
Heavy Biscuit is a good idea for the crust flavor.... Marris, 2 Row, etc. Not a fan of 2ndary due to flavors can be achieved at rack. It might be fine in a secondary since the fresh peaches will indeed bring sugars but yeast with it too. Unless you were to Campden tablet the Peach 24 hours before pitching.

Back