Recipe feedback? Trying to use up what I have on hand.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboTurtle

Reaction score
0BD783B3-837B-47FF-9B3A-FBAE6DBBD5DC.jpeg

I threw this recipe together last night with the goal of using up some various grains I have on hand. Just curious if anyone has any feedback to give.

Looks like beer.

Is the ABV what you are looking for? I've got a brew in the FV right now where I shot for about a 4.2% ABV, but I got too much efficiency with the fine grain crush I used and it'll likely be about 5.2%.

I've not used Magnum hops yet.

You’ll get some fruitiness from the Hothead yeast which should be nice w/ the Cascade hops. Mashing at 152*, I’m not sure that you need more than 4oz of Carapils but what you’ve got is not absurd by any means. Depends on how much body/fullness you want.

You’ll get some nice head retention from the malted wheat, so 8oz carapils may be redundant.

Looks like a respectable APA-ish beer or Golden Ale.

Prost!

Looks like beer.

Is the ABV what you are looking for? I've got a brew in the FV right now where I shot for about a 4.2% ABV, but I got too much efficiency with the fine grain crush I used and it'll likely be about 5.2%.

I've not used Magnum hops yet.
I have a ton more brewers malt, so I could use that or honey to go higher, but I didn’t want to make the rest of the grain bill too diluted. Figured the lower ABV would make this a good session beer with the weather warming up.

Throw all Magnum at fwh or start of boiling and all cascade at flameout or maybe dry hopping, if you like it.

Figured the lower ABV would make this a good session beer with the weather warming up.
No, I'm totally okay with it as it is. I'm aiming my next half dozen maybe more to be under 4.5% ABV or less.

The fad of higher ABV is just kicking my ass too often. I'd rather have something I can drink more than a glass or two of.

Though higher ABV and hoppy flavors seem to go together. I figured I'd see what low ABV and hoppy is like.

You’ll get some fruitiness from the Hothead yeast which should be nice w/ the Cascade hops. Mashing at 152*, I’m not sure that you need more than 4oz of Carapils but what you’ve got is not absurd by any means. Depends on how much body/fullness you want.

You’ll get some nice head retention from the malted wheat, so 8oz carapils may be redundant.

Looks like a respectable APA-ish beer or Golden Ale.

Prost!
I just had that much Carapils on hand and didn’t feel like having an even smaller amount leftover. I like a fuller bodied beer too, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt anything even if it was redundant.

Do you think dropping my mash temp a little may be beneficial based on the grain bill?

Agreed. No reason the Magnum can’t be a single addition; I’d do 60 minutes. Ditto all the Cascade at 5.
Thanks, I will change the hop schedule accordingly. I also have some mosaic and Citra hops I may add in. Haven’t use mosaic before though, so wasn’t sure where to start with them.

Agreed. No reason the Magnum can’t be a single addition; I’d do 60 minutes. Ditto all the Cascade at 5.
Agree about the Magnum as it is all bittering anyway but I disagree about the Cascade - imparts a wider range of flavors for different exposure times.

Sorry for the delayed update, but this has been brewed, kegged, and extremely well received! In fact, this will be getting added to my main rotation. Came out with a biscuit like maltiness and a taste of honey with a nice bitterness and subtle citrus and fruit notes from the hops.

I actually screwed my mash up so bad I had to start over, so I have labeled this recipe Mulligan BGA (British golden ale)

Made a few adjustments to the original recipe:

6lbs 2-row
1.5lbs each wheat malt and Vienna malt
Took out the Carapils entirely

.35 oz magnum 60 mins
.5 oz cascade 15 mins
.25 oz Citra 10 mins
.5 oz cascade 5 mins
.75 oz Citra 1 min

Back