Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan is my wife‘s cousin. The “captain’s log” entry at the top of this month’s statement pretty well sums up the general feeling about this winter.

06005859-92D8-428C-AF4F-A301F015BDB6.jpeg

I loved going to my kids science fair and seeing which projects were actually done by the kids and which ones were clearly done by the parents.
I was often asked to judge science fairs and I hated it for that reason. O
I didn't like awarding the projects clearly done by parents but some of the others were just awful.

That 94.9% viability after 6 months can't be far off the pace for the dry yeast with its 24 month expiration...

View attachment 819263

Cheers!
The vitality must start dropping off after 6 months and at a much greater rate than dry. Still quite impressive for liquid yeast. Now the price is getting out of control. 😧

I've always used fresh yeast but now I'll have start overbuilding my starters and saving some for later.

I think I am going to try an overbuild this weekend. I have WLP-001. So using the calculator to make a overbuild of 100million it looks like I will have 500ml extra. Do I just pour off the extra 500ml into a sterilized jar and put in fridge for the next brew without doing anything else to it? How long are you getting out of the stored portion? When I go to use the overbuild can I reuse the calulator and over build it again?

Right, the "Amount to Pitch" and "Amount to Harvest" provide the proportional amounts. You can use & store in that form, or, as I do, you can crash, decant the spent wort, then proportionally split and use & store the thick slurry.

I have kept strains running for up to two years doing overbuilds. Since I started brewing again I've been farming 1056 and 1318 since December. I do label the mason jar lids with the date and presumed cell count, so I can plug that back into the calculator for the next cycle with the overbuild amount and have a decent idea of the resulting cell count...

Cheers!

We're headed to France for the summer. It's not as intense as Sweden, but it gets dark around 11 PM and the sun comes up by 5 AM
Moving from Georgia to Oregon I was in for a big surprise in the summer when there was light around 4:30 am and it did not get dark until after 10 pm. My sister and niece came out from NC a few years ago in July and I had to warn them about how much daylight we had.

Moving from Georgia to Oregon I was in for a big surprise in the summer when there was light around 4:30 am and it did not get dark until after 10 pm. My sister and niece came out from NC a few years ago in July and I had to warn them about how much daylight we had.
I lived in Alaska for a while. Over the summer. My dog at the time thought sunrise at 4am was time for me to get up and play. Sunset around midnight.

Back