Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F18F01BE-5CE6-4460-9B63-6DE16783647A.jpeg
No parking permit either.

This morning The Spousal Unit called me down to the laundry room because her 50+ year old washing machine was making weird noises instead of going through the spin-dry cycle. She was right, something was seriously amiss. Big sigh as it's so tight in the laundry room I have to completely remove the drier first to get the washer out to my shop to tear down. Big pita, but I got it done and have parts all over the shop now.

View attachment 809375

I figured it had blown the transmission - and I actually have a spare transmission for this machine (long story), you can see two trannies on the bench as I was preparing to transfer parts from old to new. But when I split the motor and trans apart, I discovered what had broken: one of the spiders for the flexible coupler between the motor and transmission blew out (see the radial crack) and the motor shaft was just spinning inside the broken spider.

View attachment 809377

A whole new coupler costs just $8 delivered by Amazon this Thursday, as opposed to spending $1400~2000 to replace the two machines. Not a difficult decision for me :)

Cheers!
When I bought my first house in 2002 I got the cheapest washer and dryer I could find at Home Depot, I think I paid less than $400 for the pair. The dryer died last year but the washer keeps on washing with no issues. Who needs those fancy front loading washers with 100 different washing options.

Who’s old enough to remember the Bonanza 88 cent stores?

My wife and I bought these tree ornaments in 1971, the first Christmas after we were married. The box at the top must have been the really good ones. That box cost 99 cents. Asian labor must have been really cheap 50+ years ago. The ornaments are glass and the designs are hand painted.
DCB77B03-CF99-4DA4-936A-C6D0A232D7F8.jpeg

I may be soft now having spent much of my 30s in Phoenix,

Look at the plants and animals in Arizona! 115° (f) doesn't make ANYTHING soft!

speaking of which, i've had my thermostat running ~80f for the inside, because it life ONLY 59f outside! ;) :mug:

edit: and yeah unless it hits 90°F inside, the A/C isn't worth the power bill to run for me.....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back