Rakau Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondack47

Reaction score
I have a half pound of these and will be brewing up a smash-ish IPA (Simple malt bill w/ Vienna, 2 row and C20) in a week or two. Im not clear on an exact recipe yet but know that I would ideally like to try and use an NZ or AU hop to bitter with and use only the rakau for the flavor, aroma & dry hop additions. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to a domestic one either.

Anybody out there have a decent recipe that you've had success with in using these hops?

I'm super interested in these hops as well, so I'm brewing a mostly Rakau Pale Ale tonight. I won't have results right away, but I'll definitely report back to you once I have some tasting notes.

My grain bill will be:
80% Maris Otter
12.5% Rye
5.5% Belgian Aromatic

Hops Schedule:
.5oz (Old) Falconer's @60
.5oz Rakau @60
1oz Rakau @10
1.5oz Rakau @FO (whirlpool for 20 minutes)

Yeast: WY1007 fermented at high 50s

Any update on this post? I'm considering brewing a session IPA with Rakau, but would like some feedback from someone who has brewed with this hop.

I like them. I found them piney like simcoe. But more citrus/lemon than simcoes fruitiness

I'm brewing up an India Red tomorrow with Azacca, Rakau, and Citra.

I just bottled a batch using magnum for bittering and wakatu, rakau, and galaxy for aroma. It may have just been too young, but it didn't have much flavor besides for bitter. Smells of fruity bubblegum, though. Lets hope the taste gets there.

I just bottled a batch using magnum for bittering and wakatu, rakau, and galaxy for aroma. It may have just been too young, but it didn't have much flavor besides for bitter. Smells of fruity bubblegum, though. Lets hope the taste gets there.

That sounds like it was an issue with your hop schedule. Rakau and Galaxy in particular are pretty pungent. If you use them correctly, you are going to be a lot more than than just "bitter"

I've made two batches of what I call "NZIPA" using Pacific Gem for bittering and a combination of Rakau, Motueka and Waimea hops for flavor and aroma. This includes a 3 oz. (1 oz. each of Rakau, Motueka and Waimea) hop tea addition at kegging in lieu of dry hopping. It is delicious! Very citrusy, but more like tropical citrus fruit (think pineapple etc.) than grapefruity like Citra, etc. I have not done a Rakau SMASH yet or really highlighted it yet, but the combination is great.

That sounds like it was an issue with your hop schedule. Rakau and Galaxy in particular are pretty pungent. If you use them correctly, you are going to be a lot more than than just "bitter"

1.5 oz Magnum 60 min
2 oz rakau 5 min
2 oz wakatu 0 min (20 minute hopstand)
0.5 oz Galaxy 0 min (20 minute hopstand)
1 oz rakau Dry Hop 7 days
2 oz wakatu Dry Hop 7 days
0.5 oz Galaxy Dry Hop 7 days

Perhaps too much late additions? I can always chalk it up for experience. You never learn unless you try something new :) Worst case scenario, its beer!

1.5 oz Magnum 60 min
2 oz rakau 5 min
2 oz wakatu 0 min (20 minute hopstand)
0.5 oz Galaxy 0 min (20 minute hopstand)
1 oz rakau Dry Hop 7 days
2 oz wakatu Dry Hop 7 days
0.5 oz Galaxy Dry Hop 7 days

Perhaps too much late additions? I can always chalk it up for experience. You never learn unless you try something new :) Worst case scenario, its beer!

That looks OK to me. More bittering than I would add which may be the cause. But its definitely not too much late additions. I rely entirely on late additions for my hop character and have only had good results. Maybe it was just a combination of the malt bill, bittering additions, and some water chemistry issue.

Point is, dont give up on emphasizing late additions. I have gone entirely off the deep end with them, but my IPAs just keep improving

I really love Calypso as a bittering hop. It makes a pleasant flavor contribution.

H.W.

Back