Question on Egyptian Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hohenzollern5

Reaction score
First greetings and this is an excellent site.

I have been consistently homebrewing for over 25 years but I usually stay in an easy comfort zone of beer kits, I do want to make some Egyptian beer but I see lots of seemingly needlessly complex ideas/variations.

On youtube there is a video of three ladies who claim to have done it with an extremely simple recipe:

Despite many asks for their recipe in the comment section they failed to offer it and their link does not provide it.

So any experts here willing to take a few minutes and dissect what happened?

Thanks

Edited please see below I have now added a recipe for your analysis.

Thanks

Last edited:
I’m no expert, but I’ve made my own Egyptian type beer. The main fermentable was dates. It was pretty tasty.

I heard a story similar to this before. I believe Midas Touch by Dogfish Head uses a recipe like this. (based on the art on their box at least)
I believe their recipe lists barley, honey, muscat grapes, and saffron. Maybe someone else can give more details on this?

What makes the above Egyptian beer recipe (or video of them hiding it) favorable is that it is purported to be historically correct and yet VERY EASY.

Unlike other presumed recipes out there requiring the baking of special breads, and cutting the pieces up and cooking them in water, etc., the above recipe claims all you need to do is mix the two different types of grains with water, mix, maybe some spices, and ferment...........basic is good.

But I need something to start with e.g., how much dried grain with how much water etc...

I have found a recipe that I would like to run by you all to see if it is viable and to make sure I do not wind up with some pot of harmful bacteria giving me a norovirus-like experience:

Egyptian Beer Recipe:
1 Cup Einkorn berries

2 Cups Barley
2 Cups Water

6 Cups of Water

........................Steps:
1) Submerge the Einkorn berries overnight in water (about 10 hours), dump the water, place the berries in a mason jar, place a cloth cover on the jar and let sit for a few days giving the berries a chance to sprout, during which time shaking the jar gently making sure the berries do not dry out.

2) Once the Einkorn has sprouted, dump them onto a cooking pan, place them in the oven at 300 degrees F for three hours, making sure that they are dry and roasted when done.

3) Grind the sprouted/roasted Einkorn.

4) Then boil the two cups barely in two cups of water until the barely is soft and able to be cut with a spoon, remove from heat and let cool off some BUT while still warm-

5) Combine the warm barely mash with the roasted Einkorn berries with six cups of water.

6) Cover at room temperature for 3-4 days.

7) Remove the cover, allow the foul smell to dissipate, and drink.

QUESTIONS:

1) Does this sound historically legit since historic beer brewing requires some speculation?

2) Would this create (assuming everything was properly cleaned) a safe beverage?

3) If fruit were added in step five could it cause bacteria overgrowth?

4) I assume in step 6 "cover" means for us in the modern age adding an airlock?

5) Would this be a "green beer" or could it be bottled?

THANK YOU

I wouldn’t roast the wheat. Any of the enzyme you may have left will be denatured, then you won’t have any left to convert the starch in the barley. If you want a roasted character why not roast some of your barley?

Are you depending on wild yeast for your fermentation?

I wouldn’t roast the wheat. Any of the enzyme you may have left will be denatured, then you won’t have any left to convert the starch in the barley. If you want a roasted character why not roast some of your barley?

Are you depending on wild yeast for your fermentation?

To keep it simple wild yeast would be nice but i gather an Ale yeast would be a good choice.

Back