Question on a Low ABV brew w/Voss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NGD

Reaction score
I just finished reading this thread regarding kvieks and nutrient use. I’m wanting to brew an extract, low abv (3.5%) session ale using Lallemand Voss, but suspect I’ll need to use nutrient to keep it happy.

Just curious if anyone had tried making low ABV beers in this range and what their experiences have been? Are there preferred nutrients for kvieks? All of my experiences so far with Voss were all beers 1.055 and up and never needed anything but heat.

I only brew beers in this range and have found 5g per batch (5G / 19L) of yeast nutrient does the trick. I haven't tried without or doubling it BUT I haven't needed to either. Ferments take off quick, finish where they should and produce the appropriate esters (oslo, voss & ebbegarden). This is for all-grain so YMMV

Appreciate the reply. That gives me a good starting point. Just grabbed some fermaid-k today; I’ll give that a shot.

I did a 5L batch of a session IPA about a year ago. OG 1.042, FG 1.016. I used 1 teaspoon of Fermax, and it turned out quite well with Voss slurry (not Lallemand).

Yesterday I pitched 1/4 a cup of 4 month old voss kviek slurry into a 1.029 cascadian mild ale. No nutrient and within 24hrs it’s at 1.010, and still blurping through the airlock with no issues

@ebbelwoi That’s good to hear. I still have some Voss slurry left over from precious brews. Wanted to have the Lallemand to keep on hand and because it appears easier to store. Haven't been brave enough to attempt drying my own yet.

@Twinkeelfool I’ll be curious to see how that turns out. I’ve read accounts of brewers had Voss throw funk in lower ABV brews.

@ebbelwoi That’s good to hear. I still have some Voss slurry left over from precious brews. Wanted to have the Lallemand to keep on hand and because it appears easier to store. Haven't been brave enough to attempt drying my own yet.

@Twinkeelfool I’ll be curious to see how that turns out. I’ve read accounts of brewers had Voss throw funk in lower ABV brews.
Pretty much done now, and while it dosas have a mild orange aroma, it pretty much tastes like other mild ales I’ve brewed, no funk at all. Might put this on my nitro setup

Yesterday I pitched 1/4 a cup of 4 month old voss kviek slurry into a 1.029 cascadian mild ale. No nutrient and within 24hrs it’s at 1.010, and still blurping through the airlock with no issues

What's a cascadian mild ale? Can you share the recipe?

Just a mild ale with US hops added to it. That’s what I call it anyway haha.

93.5% voyager compass ( Australian ale )
4.7% black patent malt ( at the end of the mash )
.9% cara aroma
.9% flaked barley
Pacific gem bittering
Columbus chinook Cascade dry hop
22 IBU

it’s now at 1.007, and I’ve turned off the heat belt. Dry hops will go in tonight

Back