Question about modifying recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVCNick

Reaction score
I have simple wheat beer recipe I've made several times and it always comes out tasty. 5lb 2 row, 4.5lb wheat, .5lb carapils.

I usually get ~73% extract efficiency which is a little lower than I normally get in all-barley recipes. Probably because I'm currently too lazy to reset the roller gap down for wheat.

Anyhow, this usually puts me in the 4.7-4.9 ABV range. I'd like to bump this up to mid to upper 5's without impacting the flavor (much).

Can I just add another lb of wheat and 2row, or is it not that simple? Never tried anything like it before. Thanks.

I would increase the bittering hops proportionally to keep the BU:GU ratio the same.

Correction: Increase bittering hops to keep the BU:GU ratio the same. This wouldn't necessarily be a proportional increase since boil gravity and late hops would affect the IBUs.

Last edited:
I would increase the bittering hops proportionally to keep the BU:GU ratio the same.

Noted...

How about other recipes with more complicated grain bills?
Is it better to increase all grains in proportion, or will just upping the base grains some get you where you want to go most of the time?
Thanks.

Easy button = add extract

Notsoeasy button = Increase everything proportionately. An algebraic mixture table could help you there.

You're welcome. This is probably the least useful post in this entire thread. I'm even counting the one that hasn't happened yet with a picture of Nick Cage.

Adjusting the base malt(s) is fine most of the time, but you're certainly welcome to scale everything proportionally. You don't need an "algebraic mixture table" to do that, or even a calculator.

This is probably the least useful post in this entire thread. I'm even counting the one that hasn't happened yet with a picture of Nick Cage.
serveimage (3).jpeg

Thanks, I'll have to get on the calculators and see how it looks.

Back